News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

The cold is coming

Started by maraire, October 22, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

"Hey Hon...I need more butter on my back...
and while your up, get me a beer."
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

maraire

What would you rather have?

0 with a wind chill of -15
           or
100 with humidity of 80%

P.S. I like em both

chandasz

I'll take the heat and humidity ANY day.... What the HECK am I doing living here

Hogzilla

Both hurt, both are oppressive. Lived in both and both suck, bad.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Jo

Quote from: Hogzilla on January 15, 2009, 12:23:06 PM

Agreed. I'll take 75 degrees and no humidity, please.

ZORBA

Sounds like San Diego to me.

FedUp

Quote from: maraire on January 15, 2009, 10:25:19 AM
What would you rather have?

0 with a wind chill of -15
           or
100 with humidity of 80%

P.S. I like em both

You're kidding me right?

Hogzilla

Quote from: Jo on January 15, 2009, 12:59:42 PM

When you find it please PM me. I don't want everyone knowing where it is. I will pay cash. :)
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Boris

The Midwest is not for wimps. This part of the country was settled by strong men and handsome women with grit, stamina and body odor. If you can't take it, move your pansy asses to Los Angeles (or Sedona, if your in the bracket). As I proudly walk the streets of downtown Chicago in my North Face McMurdo parka in -14° with -30° windchills, I openly and loudly laugh at people without hats or gloves, picking their way through the ice and slush in tennis shoes. At least the current Uggs fad has given people a little warmth that they normally wouldn't have the brains to aquire.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Jo

Quote from: Hogzilla on January 15, 2009, 02:27:02 PM
Quote from: Jo on January 15, 2009, 12:59:42 PM

When you find it please PM me. I don't want everyone knowing where it is. I will pay cash. :)

Ha. Will do.  :)

Terri

No question for me, the cold.  We had a blast throwing boiling water into the air last night. 

dukesdad

QuoteWe had a blast throwing boiling water into the air last night. 

OK, I give up. Why?

Berwyn Patsy

lol!  I was just thinking the same. Does the water freeze in mid air?

maraire

Watch out the wind doesn't blow it back in your face...

Terri

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on January 16, 2009, 09:48:10 AM
lol!  I was just thinking the same. Does the water freeze in mid air?
Sure does, freezes and crackles.  Its a blast and then to see how high you can fling it.  

maraire

Quote from: Boris on January 15, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
The Midwest is not for wimps. This part of the country was settled by strong men and handsome women with grit, stamina and body odor. If you can't take it, move your pansy asses to Los Angeles (or Sedona, if your in the bracket). As I proudly walk the streets of downtown Chicago in my North Face McMurdo parka in -14° with -30° windchills, I openly and loudly laugh at people without hats or gloves, picking their way through the ice and slush in tennis shoes. At least the current Uggs fad has given people a little warmth that they normally wouldn't have the brains to aquire.

This is a MAN.... Boris for Mayor

Boris

Every time it's this cold, I forget to buy a bottle of soap bubbles (you know, the kind with the little wand you give to kids). The bubbles freeze solid in mid-air. There is a winterfest in Minneapolis where they blow giant bubbles that freeze in the air and then drop to the ground.

http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/freezebubbles/album/slides/clipped.html
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Nazerac

Three words: Hot Buttered Rum !

Felix Greco

Quote from: Nazerac on January 16, 2009, 10:22:11 AM
Three words: Hot Buttered Rum !

Really?  I have never tried it.

Ok, any type of rum? 
All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

Felix Greco

Just googled it and found this from Emeril. Gonna try it tonight.

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water
Directions
In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.
All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy