Hardwood Flooring Quality Refinishing suggestions?

Started by Bungalocity, June 22, 2009, 01:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

I had one estimate return who doesn't see a problem with doing it in 2 phases,
and another pending from David who insists the whole house should be done at once
since he won't like the separation from the maple to the oak on the poly side.

I'll try LaGrange for a 3rd estimate and see their take on it!
thanks guys...
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Ana

Here are the guys that did our floors when we moved in 10 years ago.  They did a very good job and were relatively inexpensive.

Cornell Flooring
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bungalocity

I don't know what's with these Hardwood guys,
the first one took a week to get me an estimate after measurement,
the second came by Thursday still hasn't gotten me #'s and LaGrange
I called last Friday and still haven't heard back from him! (Bill!)

This is so unbelievably frustrating.
BTW the first estimate was over $2400 for 1100 sq. feet?!?
-Mark Twain

OakParkSpartan

I really think there is a market out there for tradespeople that show up on time, charge a reasonable rate, and stand behind their work.

We've had problems with people getting back to us, returning when they have said they'd be back etc.  Just a completely different mindset in the trades.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Jo

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 01, 2009, 09:51:53 AM
I really think there is a market out there for tradespeople that show up on time, charge a reasonable rate, and stand behind their work.

We've had problems with people getting back to us, returning when they have said they'd be back etc.  Just a completely different mindset in the trades.

Agreed.

Bungalocity

I'm not following what you're saying...
you mean that the best people are so busy they don't have time to get back to you with simple
basic first-step stuff like estimates?

I went out of my way to take all these recommendations on these posts based on reputation, these are supposed to be 3 super guys.  That's why I'm so frustrated!

Time to start to tap into my north-side connex...ugh!
Now I have to track down the Romanian Sensation.......Vasili. :-[
-Mark Twain

Ana

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bungalocity

I seen the vans all over town, I just assumed it was the Ed Foxx of flooring.
Do you know how big the company is, or is it a sole prop?
-Mark Twain

Ana

It was a sole proprietor.  Again, they are good, fast and inexpensive.  Can't hurt to get an estimate.

Noble Falcon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 01, 2009, 09:51:53 AM

I thought it was just me Brian.. The lack of calling back customers was bad when we had a good economy.. :usa:

sciapod

(from an earlier post)

We used Andy and Andy Flooring in 2006 (708-453-3976) -- great guys, good price --$800 for kitchen & bedroom/master closet (all maple). Excellent work with tricky patching & new thresholds.

Bungalocity

Quote from: sciapod on July 01, 2009, 11:20:44 PM
(from an earlier post)

We used Andy and Andy Flooring in 2006 (708-453-3976) -- great guys, good price --$800 for kitchen & bedroom/master closet (all maple). Excellent work with tricky patching & new thresholds.

Whoo-wee! That's a lot of cut-back on the maple, it got it's  name from cutting back the viscosity of roofing
tar, thinner and flatter for floor adhesive. I have some of that under my linoleum kitchen sub-flooring!

Folks, I appreciate all the help and suggestions here, I just called Jack's and I'm exploring the possibilities of renting the equipment myself.  It's $75 for both sanders and they supply you with a lot of stuff: discs, belts, masks and booties etc.

I think I have a good handle on all the processes from start to finish, the only thing I'd better be damn sure of is having a handle on the drum sander. You can't warn me enough, I feel the heat now! I know I know.

But it just seems so tempting since I have the aptitude for this sort of thing and I'll save a bucket load of $$$......

Anyone ever do this themselves?
-Mark Twain

Bear

Do not use the coarse grade of paper, it will get you in trouble. The key is to keep the machine moving, do not stop for even two seconds with the drum turning. The machine floats very much like an
industrial floor buffing machine, if you know how these operate you will be fine....

Get ready for one big mess, you will be digging sawdust out of your
nose for days and the taste of burnt shellac on the palette is quite
amazing. Nothing will protect you lol.

One more thing, before you start get on your hands and knees and countersink any nail heads that are sticking up, they can cut your paper to ribbons while the rubber from the drum digs in your floor.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bungalocity

Yeah!!!!!!!!

I'm getting a high thinking about it.
Jack's rents the Clarke EZ-8 and I found a Youtube series of videos from I believe CLarke themselves.

I have a gas-mask type respirator.
I have to imagine the finish isn't that deep since the last 40 years (half-life) has had wall to wall carpeting.
I hand-sanded to bare wood some cig. burns (f'n junkie degenerates) in about 15 seconds so it can't have that much coating...

Yes, I believe the key is to keep it moving!  There are a ton of great tips in this video series...
I'm on #4 now so backtrack to the beginning if you want to see this stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKitrVQMyZQ
-Mark Twain

Bear

"I'm getting a high thinking about it."

You will be when you lay down the poly....

OIL BASE

If you have family, they may want to relocate for two to three
days, the poly permeates the entire home

Be sure to get tack cloths (with the pine in them)
and wipe that floor by hand on your hands and knees
before applying the poly....

Oh, and buy some knee pads.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bungalocity

Haha!!!
I know the fumes continue to expunge after it dries.

I plan on blocking off the front half with plastic drops & tape, with powerful fans blowing out,
and sleeping in the basement. So the only way fumes can get in would be thru the radiator pipe holes.
Maybe elsewhere but minimal.  Should be good!

Wonder how many hours until I can walk on/buff for 2nd coat.
-Mark Twain

Bear

No fans.

They will leave a pile of debris all over the floor. No open windows either, same thing. Oil base coatings dry by oxidation, fans do not expedite that process. Drying times will vary based on several factors.

I am proud of you Bungalo for doing this on your own instead of
"calling" someone. That is the easy way, you will learn something,
and take great pride when you see how nice it comes out.

You will gaze in wonder when the floor is completely sanded before you poly...

Think about it, the last guy who saw your floor that way was the carpenter who installed it. As you stand there admiring it as he did,
thank him for his craftsmanship.

Now get to work.

Bungalocity

OK point well taken about the fans. I think the time to turn them on would be after the initial drying so the odor goes out after it's all said and done.

Oh believe me everytime I work on something here that man hasn't seen for 81 years I think of
the old Bohunks in 1927 doing this job and wish they'd have left me a bottle of pilsner.
There isn't a day goes by I don't thank them for a job seldom done these days.  How lucky
we truly are here to have these treasures!

Now to figure out how to scrape that damn cutback off the maple.......

I need to get ahold of a hi-def video camera so I can document this!
-Mark Twain

Bear

Ask and you shall receive....

Simply pick up a Panasonic Lumix camera...

Shoots 15 minutes of HD with sound.

$200....Think of what you saved on the floor by
doing it yourself, so that justifies that cost.

Cutback?...Splain please

Nazerac

I did my back porch, it is white pine.  It wasn't that bad.