News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

A walk down Cermak Rd

Started by pkd50, November 18, 2011, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkd50

Put on my winter jacket and braved the wind.  It wasn't a bad day, nice and sunny.  I left my car in McDonald's parking lot (didn't eat there, so I guess it was illegal) and walked to Oak Park Ave. on the South side of Cermak.  I crossed the street and walked back.  Except for Vesecky's there was not one store along the way that I wanted to stop in, with the exception of Pierre's.   I was surprised to see that it's a smaller bakery now.  It's mostly a wedding planning shop.  It's still the nicest looking place on the Road.   I might have stopped at the Old Fashion Candy Store, but didn't.

I did see a man open the side door on OP Ave to the bank bldg.  The old bank doesn't look as bad as it did.  The lights were on, so something must be happening there.

Cermak is not as interesting as 26th in Little Village.

Bonster

Quote from: pkd50 on November 18, 2011, 09:03:01 PM
Except for Vesecky's there was not one store along the way that I wanted to stop in, with the exception of Pierre's.   
Pat & Joe's.   OK, it's a bar, but you'd probably like it. :D
Oh, and that Ace Hardware is great!

Thinking of the places I patronize on all of Cermak, a good number are across the border.   Algor, Al's Restaurant, Falco's Pizza, Scatchell's, El Chisme, Ace Hdwe, Pat & Joe's, Anthony's Pizza, DD, BWW, Post Office, Party City, Office Depot, Czech Plaza.  Heck, even shoe carnival, lol.  And soon, Meijer, Chipotle, and some other nicities coming to Cermak.

Quote from: pkd50 on November 18, 2011, 09:03:01 PM
Cermak is not as interesting as 26th in Little Village.
Got that right.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Berwyn Patsy

I should know better than to " go there" as they say.  Just wondering if all the negativity about Berwyn growing and developing is being thought about differently now then it was say, 2 years ago? I know the schools need to become a priority next but in the mean time looks like  "Berwyn is rising"!

Bonster

Businesses are rising, but the people who live here aren't.  Same old gangbangers and shitbags.  Like me.

pkd50

No doubt I'd like Pat & Joe's, but it was 11 AM.   I've shopped at Ace many times.  They're nice friendly people.  As far as browsing, hardware stores are a guy thing.   I didn't see any gang bangers.  In fact, didn't see many people walking at all.  I got my car and drove back to CP and went into Deals.  It's much cleaner that the other $ store there.  I spent 4 buck plus tax there.   I stopped in Anna's.  Wow, interesting merchandise.

Walking and remembering what it was and knowing that there are such good deals on houses and the ad campaign in full force, this should be "Berwyn's time to rise."  The potential is certainly there.  I hope it does. 

Bonster

Quote from: pkd50 on November 19, 2011, 10:01:28 AM
As far as browsing, hardware stores are a guy thing.

You should buy yourself a pipe wrench.  Just for the hell of it.

berwyn senator

Many suburbs around Berwyn have revived and maintained excellent shopping areas,there is no reason Berwyn can't do the same. I look forward to the day when again one can walk and shop Cermak Rd. Especially during the early evenings like we used to,take in a show, stop for a bite to eat,or just walk and enjoy the area stores.Am I dreaming?

pkd50

My walk next week will be Roosevelt Rd.   From postings, it sounds like that's where the development is going to take off.  When I drove it, I didn't feel it, but walking might have a different feel.  The trouble with 22nd & 12th is that the businesses are so far apart....Ridgeland to Harlem.  For me it seems so much nicer to park the car and get out and walk from place to place.    Even if not to buy, then window shop and see people walking and browsing.

Bonster

Quote from: pkd50 on November 19, 2011, 01:24:49 PM
My walk next week will be Roosevelt Rd.   From postings, it sounds like that's where the development is going to take off.  When I drove it, I didn't feel it

But... it IS.  Look at all the places there now.  Not sure what you consider "taking off," yet considering what was there when I moved in I'd say the number of viable businesses has at least tripled.     

On Roosevelt, Salerno's Mr. D's, Culver's, Ino's... are all down at the west end.  Bodhi, etc. at the other end.  Perhaps the best walking area is from Oak Park Ave to East, at night, when  everything is in full swing.  The kids love to hang a Di Nico's, Sushi Junki has the lights going, Autre Monde is filling up, Gina's, Friendly, Fitz, Suburban Pets are going. 

There are spaces waiting to be filled as well like the old Blockbuster, Wishbone (soon to be Capri), etc.   The worst part about that area is that butt-ugly Burger King.

berwyn senator

Roosevelt Rd today is much superior than years ago  then when I was a kid growing up, Roosevelt was known for its many taverns.Oak Park was a dry town,so guess where the residents came to wet their whistles?  The street never had a very good reputation. Today there still are homeless,or what we used to call bums hanging around begging, one of regulars is a fellow with long grey knotted hair. HE has lived on the streets in Berwyn all his life, usually found begging at the Jewels,or for money or a drink at some of the taverns. Ray is his name age 65, he was raised in Berwyn, never worked a job,just survived on the streets all his life.He does venture to Cermak or South Berwyn but Roosevelt Rd. is his domain.

berwynson

Hey, Senator, do I know this guy Ray? Sounds familiar.

Does his Last name begin with a "K"?

berwynson

Bonster

I think some of what seems new in Berwyn on Roosevelt is due to the TIF refurb's and moving of venues.   Plus a lot has been missed cause it's just not been a very attractive area, addressed by the streetscaping.  I consider all of Roosevelt since it's not entirely encapsulated by Berwyn...

As far as new (all administrations) since I've been here: Wishbone(Capri), Gelato Uno(Di Nico's), Camp Bow Wow, Depot American Diner, Smokin' M's, Damenzo's, Bodhi Thai, Sushi Junki, Autre Monde, Horrorbles, Double Olive, CVS, Culver's, Citizen's...  Refurb'd Friendly Tap, Dan's, Gina's Buona, and moved/new 12th St Rag, J-Wok, Salerno's.. hell, even Mickey D's is no longer an eyesore.   

A host of other places that were there before I came, inside and outside our borders like Ino's, Tasty House, Fitzgerald's, Commodore Barry, Bag of Fish, PCS, DD,  Golden Steer, Andrea's, WalFart, KFart,  Cardinal, Carole's, Ultra Foods, Portillo's, Walgreens (x2), Lucky Dog, Albano's...multiple cleaners and auto joints...etc. etc....

That's a lot of stuff, and I'm sure I'm missing a few in all lists.  Couple that with the fact we've 5 min from FP, RF,  and OP shopping, dining, and transportation and we should theoretically be in a great spot.

pkd50

I'm looking forward to the walk, but during the day.   Where should I have lunch Bonster?

Bonster

Bonster

bigolo

The guy with the white knotty hair, aka, Ray has been a Berwyn fixture as long as I can remember. I believe he worked at the Jewel on Roosevelt Road for a brief time in the early to mid nineties. Whether it was official employment or unwarranted "volunteer" work is unknown! He gathered shopping carts from the parking lot. He can still be seen walking the streets of Berwyn. If you beep your horn at him, he'll give you a friendly wave as he adjusts his pants. He's harmless!

pkd50

I've been to the Depot Diner and it's very good.  The Golden Steer?    Love them both, but I'm walking in Berwyn.

Bonster

Quote from: pkd50 on November 19, 2011, 08:38:00 PM
I've been to the Depot Diner and it's very good.  The Golden Steer?    Love them both, but I'm walking in Berwyn.

Gotcha.  Like I said, Roosevelt is not encapsulated by Berwyn, so I consider the entire street and proximity to OP/FP/RF amenities as the selling point for the general area.  The entire north side is OP, and Turano sort of breaks up the Berwyn side like MacNeal does in the DD, setting Bodhi apart from the rest.  Bodhi has some great lunch; not sure if the construction is finished down there.   That or maybe Buona or Sushi Junki/JWok, I guess.

Horrorbles used to have coffee & donuts on Sundays, lol.

Ted

I drove to Oak Park last night for an event. While driving down Lake Street, I thought about why couldn't Cermak Road be like Lake Street in Oak Park.

I saw lots of people just walking around,especially in the area around  Oak Park Avenue.

Is it because of the Lake Street theatre?  Is it because of the shops and stores and restaurants that are there?  Is that what makes it different from Cermak?

pkd50

Some of us "old timers" remember when Cermak Rd was like Lake St.   This is not a criticism just an observation, the businesses  and services are mostly targeting the Latino community. There wasn't many places  that I would normally shop or browse  once I passed Craig's  and New Seneca.  Ted about that meeting being aimed at the DD.  If you think about it, most of the towns along the Burlington stops are their downtown.

I just had sushi Friday, so Bodi for lunch.  Thanks for the suggestion Bon.