News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

ALAMO SHOES

Started by renovatorbear, April 28, 2006, 04:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renovatorbear

Does anyone know what's up with Alamo Shoes?  Are they pulling out? I see they are discounting 70% and that there is a sign on the side of the building about property being available.  I assume it's referring to the Alamo space?

Dancing Queen

Yes, they are pulling out. The owner has said he is not doing well inthe business. He had a potential owner for the building but it required a zoning change so he was asking the city for a zoning variation.

renovatorbear

I'll admit straight away that I don't know much about these things, but did they (Alamo Shoes) receive tax breaks or city assistance (TIF) when they undertook the major remodel of that space 2 years ago?  Or was it just Seneca that received assistance?

Matryoshka

God help us if another currency exchange or laundromat should open there! :666:

chandasz

Not surprised they're not doing well. Their selection was really weak. Bummer. The Alamo up in Andersonville is one of my alltime favorite shoestores....

shrugger

Quote from: tograM on May 12, 2006, 01:01:32 PM
God help us if another currency exchange or laundromat should open there! :666:

even worse. I heard that they were trying to get a zoning change to allow a dentists' office to move in.

chandasz, I went into the Berwyn Alamo hoping to find the same type of selection as up in Andersonville (Ecco, Clark's, Born, Doc Martens, etc.) ... you're right, not even close to being the same store. I thought that was a little wierd.   
we must cultivate our garden

renovatorbear

I know, I also like the Alamo Shoes in Andersonville.  The selection in the Berwyn store always struck me as...lacking focus.  Then again, it's probably not easy to compete with Payless and Shoe Carnival and that discount place down the road where traffic gets snarled.

I once stopped in Alamo (Berwyn) for laces.  When I told the guy behind the counter what length laces I needed he asked me how I knew the size? I told him the shoes have 5 eyelets and therefore I needed 42" laces (or whatever the relevant length was).  Again, he looked at me puzzled and I told him how that chart on the back of the package of  laces indicates the length one needs based on the number of eyelets.  He had NO idea.  

I left with new laces and the strong suspicion that Alamo Shoes was not likely to be around much longer.

shrugger

in addition to the name, they have a similar sign (I think) ... but are we even certain that they're related to one another?

http://www.alamoshoes.com/
we must cultivate our garden

renovatorbear

i recall reading coverage in the paper when the remodel happened and it mentioned the connection.  but to be sure, i just phoned the andersonville location and confirmed that they own the berywn location.

Matryoshka

[/quote]
even worse. I heard that they were trying to get a zoning change to allow a dentists' office to move in.
[/quote]

Ugh! I heard it may become a dental or medical clinic...what a nice view for Sevilla's outdoor-seated patrons!  :666:

BPM

When I moved to Berwyn almost all of my shoes were from the Alamo in Andersonville. I lived within walking distance of that one. The one here was lacking.

pkd50

While bike riding today, I spotted a pair of Merrill's in the window at Alamo. They are my favorite most comfy walking shoes.  I couldn't get them on Cermak before  I had to go to Andersonville.  I stopped in there, and  met the new owner.  His name is Craig and he worked at the Andersonville location. He will keep a line of the moderate priced shoes that the previous owner had, but will be bringing in Born, Merrill, Easy Spirit, etc.  He has just been there for a couple of weeks, but seems to want to upscale a bit and not be another payless type shoe store.  He didn't have what I wanted, but will order it for me and call when it comes in.  He was very helpful and friendly.  I hope he makes it there.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I've purchased my SAS working shoes there.  Expensive and not too attractive they are still indispensible if you work in a profession where you are on your feet and do a lot of walking.  They are not easy to find so I was glad they carry them and I didn't have to make a trek to buy them.  With gas prices where they are now I think I'll be stopping into Alamo to see if they still will carry them or can order them for me.  I'm just about ready for a new pair.

OakParkSpartan

I've also heard a name change is possibly in the works.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

chandasz

Hurrah. Maybe he'll have more helpful staff and better kids shoes too!

pkd50

Yes, he mentioned changing the name eventually.   Talk to him about kid's shoes.  He seems to be willing to get whatever it is that the customer wants.

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 29, 2007, 10:44:43 AM
I've also heard a name change is possibly in the works.

Cool.  Then we can say, "Remember the Alamo?"
</polish humor off>
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scoon

I've heard that individuals who are responsible for promoting business in the city have suggested a name change cause "Alamo Shoes" makes most of us honkies assume they sell boots with matching belt buckles and hats.

pkd50

Yep, you're right.   I knew the store from North Clark, and had to tell some neighbors that it was a quality store.  Of course, it wasn't at first, but hopefully it will be in the future.

Matryoshka

Quote from: scoon on May 29, 2007, 11:39:11 AM
I've heard that individuals who are responsible for promoting business in the city have suggested a name change cause "Alamo Shoes" makes most of us honkies assume they sell boots with matching belt buckles and hats.

Or if you're like Ozzy, it may make you feel like takin' a leak on it, whilst donning your wife's dress