A Noble profession: Berwyn resident has a taste for coffee

Started by Boris, September 12, 2007, 09:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

A Noble profession: Berwyn resident has a taste for coffee

Photo by Sidney Thoms
Kelly Noble works at her Caffe Palermo shop in Berwyn.

By Cari Brokamp, cbrokamp@libertysuburban.com
GateHouse News Service
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 12:11 PM CDT

Berwyn, IL -

After moving around most of her life, Kelly Noble said she's at home in Berwyn, where she runs a unique business and is involved in local community organizations.

Noble has been acting as owner of Caffe Palermo, 6510 Ogden Ave., for nearly a year now, after falling in love with the shop's coffee when it was under its former ownership.

Noble said her shop offers customers something they can't get anywhere else.

"For Berwyn to have its own non-corporation little coffee shop, that in itself is cute and unique," Noble said. "I always told people once you taste this coffee, you're going to realize that Starbucks tastes like crap."

She used to pass the shop, which opened close to the time Noble moved to Berwyn in 2002, on her way to work in Naperville from her Berwyn home. When Noble found out the former owner was thinking of selling, she sensed an opportunity to trade juggling the two jobs she was working for a business she owned within walking distance from her home.

After living in Belgium, Germany, Georgia, Ohio and all over Illinois, becoming the owner of Caffe Palermo spurred Noble to dig her heels in deeper in Berwyn. About a year ago, she became a member of the Berwyn Development Corporation, which she says helps businesses and the city grow and improve. Six months ago, Noble began working with the Berwyn Jaycees, helping with things like a recent school supply drive for schools.

Noble made the quaint cafe her own by adding a mural and posting chalkboards scrawled with flavor combinations for customers to add to their coffee or steamed milk.
It's these flavorings that make Caffe Palermo unique, Noble said.

"We have all-natural flavorings, or you can make a mixture of more than one," Noble said. "Since I used to bartend (at Cigars and Stripes in Berwyn), I like combining the flavoring and coming up with something besides the basic."

Customers can have pretty much any combination they can imagine, but some of Noble's creations include the Peppermint Patty (peppermint and chocolate), Milky Way (chocolate and caramel) or Cocoberry (coconut and raspberry).

The store is a family venture, with Noble's 13-year-old son, Kristopher, helping around the coffee shop and Noble's sister making homemade baked goods to sell, including banana, pumpkin, apple and zucchini breads.

"It's the love and caring that's put into it," Noble said of her store.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

A.Malina

"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Crunchie

I didn't know Cigars and Stripes had a bar, thought it was just a tobacco shop?

Bear

"I always told people once you taste this coffee, you're going to realize that Starbucks tastes like crap."
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Big Ten

This place is a diamond in the rough.  For a locally owned coffe joint, they could use friendlier service.  Everything else is great.

A.Malina

Quote from: Big Ten on September 16, 2007, 04:59:42 PM
This place is a diamond in the rough.  For a locally owned coffe joint, they could use friendlier service.  Everything else is great.
They're always nice to me.   ;)
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Bonster

Quote from: A.Malina on September 16, 2007, 06:37:34 PM
They're always nice to me.   ;)

same here!  it's definitely a south side prize.

OakParkSpartan

Maybe they are Buckeyes that own the place?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

kurto

Kelly is much nicer than that little italian guy that used to own it.
The most efficient form of birth control is to spend a Saturday afternoon at North Riverside Mall

ScimmiaCattiva

I went here and ordered espresso. Absolutely not espresso by any means; rather,  a small portion of American coffee, and not even good American coffee. I was quite disappointed. And the baked goods were not good either.

Bonster

Quote from: ScimmiaCattiva on October 05, 2007, 09:46:24 AM
I went here and ordered espresso. Absolutely not espresso by any means; rather,  a small portion of American coffee

So they gave you someone else's order...  Why didn't you say something?
Which baked goods did you try?

OakParkSpartan

I think she serves Intelligista.  Thought that was supposed to be good.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

rbain

Intelligentsia is very good. If the espresso was weak that's a barista issue. It takes some experience to dial in the proper grind, and the barista need to pay attention to it all day long. As the shop warms up, temp & humidity affect the extraction rate. A bad espresso is pretty pathetic from someone who claimed "...Starbucks tastes like crap."

It seems clear she doesn't know what she's talking about. If she's reading this, she should perhaps call Intelligentsia and they could send someone out to help her adjust her grinders so that her espresso pulls about an ounce and a half with the crema just turning lighter color in 22-30 seconds. Has anyone tried a Cappucino there? That's the real test. It should be about 6oz. (NOT 24!), the foam should be marbled, and  should be so fine that you can't see any bubbles. Well done, it's a thing of beauty that can be finished without a spoon. poorly done, it's a shot of espresso with styrofoam on top.
-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

ScimmiaCattiva

Quote from: ¢liff ¥. on October 05, 2007, 09:50:22 AM
Quote from: ScimmiaCattiva on October 05, 2007, 09:46:24 AM
I went here and ordered espresso. Absolutely not espresso by any means; rather,  a small portion of American coffee

So they gave you someone else's order...  Why didn't you say something?
Which baked goods did you try?

No sir. I am quite sure that I received the order intended for me, as I was the sole customer in the cafe at that time. I had, of course a slice of banana bread, which was dry and tasted of freezer.

ScimmiaCattiva

Quote from: rbain on October 05, 2007, 11:29:37 AM
Intelligentsia is very good. If the espresso was weak that's a barista issue. It takes some experience to dial in the proper grind, and the barista need to pay attention to it all day long. As the shop warms up, temp & humidity affect the extraction rate. A bad espresso is pretty pathetic from someone who claimed "...Starbucks tastes like crap."

It seems clear she doesn't know what she's talking about. If she's reading this, she should perhaps call Intelligentsia and they could send someone out to help her adjust her grinders so that her espresso pulls about an ounce and a half with the crema just turning lighter color in 22-30 seconds. Has anyone tried a Cappucino there? That's the real test. It should be about 6oz. (NOT 24!), the foam should be marbled, and  should be so fine that you can't see any bubbles. Well done, it's a thing of beauty that can be finished without a spoon. poorly done, it's a shot of espresso with styrofoam on top.
-Rob

Indeed Intelligentsia can be quite good! Roberto, you are correct, it lies in the hands of the barrista.

rbain

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

M

I did not get a warm welcome or so much as a "thank you for coming in" when I went in one Saturday.  I don't expect that at Starbuck's, but I do expect it a small mom and pop operation.

I had an iced coffee that was acceptable, but not great.  It was not as strong or rich as Starbucks, and it cost just about as much. 

I think that took a lot of balls to say Starbucks is crap, but you'd better live up to it if you say that.  There's a reason that Starbucks is so hugely successful.   

Needless to say, I will not be returning.  I'd hoped for a much better experience there.  Even though I enjoy Starbucks, I take great pleasure in supporting local business and was trying to give them a fair shot.
"When I do good, I feel good... When I do bad, I feel bad...
That is my religion" - Abe Lincoln

Hogzilla

Average is an overstatement for this place. Not trying to bring down a local in favor of a big chain, I like to keep it local too, but... That "crap" remark is pretty bold to claim. You better be bringing your A game for that kind of remark. I'll pass on the place.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bonster

Quote from: rbain on October 05, 2007, 11:29:37 AM
adjust her grinders so that her espresso pulls about an ounce and a half with the crema just turning lighter color in 22-30 seconds. Has anyone tried a Cappucino there? That's the real test. It should be about 6oz. (NOT 24!), the foam should be marbled, and  should be so fine that you can't see any bubbles.

Good word, Rob!
I can't really judge the place (this or  'bux) at that level, unfortunately, as I always get the doctored-up, sugary, syrupy, mochacaramelorangeraspberryvanillaheartattackucino drinks. 
What I've had here have been superb.  Didn't really check out her grinders, though.  :666: