News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Anderson Ford 8/26/09

Started by buzz, August 26, 2009, 03:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Anyone know what's happening with them ?  There's no new models on the lot and there haven't been any for many weeks.  The lot on the south side of Ogden is for sale; has been for 3 months.  I was told they have even reduced their service hours.  I'd hate to lose them because they've been a part of Berwyn for many decades.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwyn1983

Hopefully, they reimbursed the city all the millions of TIF money given to them and the loans the city guaranteed. Another successful government life support venture. Not!

Berwyn Patsy

How does that work if a business sells out after receiving TIF
dollars from the city??

Wasn't the owner of Anderson on the BDC at one time?  I may be
wrong.

Bonster

This?

Quote from: FedUp on July 21, 2008, 09:07:12 AM

10.   Applicant to Retain Business in Berwyn – I (we) agree to maintain a Berwyn business presence (the location that was improved as the results of TIF funds) for a period of five years following completion of the project.  In the event the project is removed from the tax roll, or in the case of professional services never brought to fruition, I (we) agree to repayment of the TIF funds allocated by the City of Berwyn for this project, at the rate of 20% percent for each twelve (12) month period short of the required five years, with interest at the rate of five (5) percent per annum. 

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on August 26, 2009, 04:57:45 PM
How does that work if a business sells out after receiving TIF
dollars from the city??

Wasn't the owner of Anderson on the BDC at one time?  I may be
wrong.

He was on the BOD.  I believe he was also on the Executive Board.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MOMAS2

Does anyone remember the one alderman who voiced his concern over that deal and voted against it?  That's right, it was alderman Phelan.  If you remember, Citizen's Bank wouldn't give Bob Anderson the loan unless the city guaranteed it.
At the time Alderman Phelan said something to the effect that if the loan wasn't a good risk for the bank, why should it be a good risk for the taxpayers of Berwyn.  Your mayor, Mr. Lovero voted for it.  So did Alderman Skryd and Chapman.
If you ask me, Bob Anderson is an arogant individual who I don't feel sorry for in the least bit.  It is just unfortunate the the Berwyn taxpayers are left holding the bag again.

Berwyn Patsy

Anyone know the time frame of his TIF loans?

buzz

Good question Patsy.
Am I understanding this correctly ?  Depending on when the TIF was granted, it might be to his benefit to just limp along servicing cars and selling used cars.  That way he wouldn't have to repay the penalty rate.
I think that TIF was granted about 3 1/2 yrs. ago.  But, my memory for dates has always been unreliable.

n01_important

How does the contract apply if Mr. Anderson files for bankruptcy?

Let me guess... we are SOL?  :'(
Stupid fuck

buzz

I don't think bankruptcy wipes out any tax debt.  The government always gets their money.
But, is this a legit tax debt or is it a contractual debt promised to the City ?
Our legal eagles will clear it up.

buzz

I did a search on "Anderson".  I found a posting from Paul Fuentes on 6/15/2005.  In it he questions the legitimacy of some of the past TIF recipients.  Paul mentions Anderson.  So I'd assume that the funds were granted before his post on 6/15/2005.

Scouts Honor

Why are the vultures circling when none of you
even know what is going on at the dealership?

This is a family run biz that has been here
for four generations. They bring in tax money that
YOU would pay if they were not here. The TIF allowed
them to bring in even MORE tax money than they did before.

Yet the inept complain.
Only John can drive somebody that crazy.

n01_important

Quote from: Scouts Honor on August 26, 2009, 07:56:42 PM

Yet the inept complain.

Please show us the math. 

Extra money = TIF MONEY - REGULAR TAX MONEY

Sincerly,
The inept.
Stupid fuck

OakParkSpartan

Yet the inept complain.

Can you post those numbers here?  What was the sales tax revenue pre-loan versus post-loan?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

J'sMom

Quote from: MOMAS2 on August 26, 2009, 05:30:58 PM
Does anyone remember the one alderman who voiced his concern over that deal and voted against it?  That's right, it was alderman Phelan.  If you remember, Citizen's Bank wouldn't give Bob Anderson the loan unless the city guaranteed it.
At the time Alderman Phelan said something to the effect that if the loan wasn't a good risk for the bank, why should it be a good risk for the taxpayers of Berwyn.  Your mayor, Mr. Lovero voted for it.  So did Alderman Skryd and Chapman.
If you ask me, Bob Anderson is an arogant individual who I don't feel sorry for in the least bit.  It is just unfortunate the the Berwyn taxpayers are left holding the bag again.

I find it interesting that you refer to yourself in the third person in all of your postings.

berwyn1983

Yet the inept complain.
My issue is not with Anderson Ford or Bob Anderson who by the way is a BDC past President and current Treasurer of the organization. I hope he and his dealership survives, prospers and makes millions of dollars that helps pay the debts to the city. It is the use or I rather say abuse of the TIFs, an instrument that was intended to address blight problems not subsidized performing businesses. But in Berwyn just like in Chicago, politicians use it like the money is falling from the sky. And since no one here has any info as to what is owed, who owes it, how are the funds doled out and how much the city is in hock because of them, they are obviously without any public accountability.

This is taxpayer money the City siphoned from other taxing bodies such as the schools, park districts, library and Crook County. I will admit not given it to the County could be construed as a positive. These other taxing bodies need to go to the taxpayers for additional increases to make up the short fall caused by the TIFs.

After 20 or so years of nothing but failures TIFs should be abolished.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: berwyn1983 on August 27, 2009, 09:00:13 AM

Yet the inept complain.
My issue is not with Anderson Ford or Bob Anderson who by the way is a BDC past President and current Treasurer of the organization. I hope he and his dealership survives, prospers and makes millions of dollars that helps pay the debts to the city. It is the use or I rather say abuse of the TIFs, an instrument that was intended to address blight problems not subsidized performing businesses. But in Berwyn just like in Chicago, politicians use it like the money is falling from the sky. And since no one here has any info as to what is owed, who owes it, how are the funds doled out and how much the city is in hock because of them, they are obviously without any public accountability.

This is taxpayer money the City siphoned from other taxing bodies such as the schools, park districts, library and Crook County. I will admit not given it to the County could be construed as a positive. These other taxing bodies need to go to the taxpayers for additional increases to make up the short fall caused by the TIFs.

After 20 or so years of nothing but failures TIFs should be abolished.

I also think that you need to hold the organization accountable which was recommending TIF spending, and that is the BDC.  For all of the millions of dollars spent, the business districts are in terrible shape, and that is after years of a good economy.

renovatorbear

Quote from: MOMAS2 on August 26, 2009, 05:30:58 PM
Does anyone remember the one alderman who voiced his concern over that deal and voted against it?  That's right, it was alderman Phelan. 

Thanks for that reminder, former Alderman Phelan.

buzz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 27, 2009, 10:43:36 AM
I also think that you need to hold the organization accountable which was recommending TIF spending, and that is the BDC.  For all of the millions of dollars spent, the business districts are in terrible shape, and that is after years of a good economy.
+1

n01_important

Quote from: buzz on August 27, 2009, 02:44:57 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 27, 2009, 10:43:36 AM
I also think that you need to hold the organization accountable which was recommending TIF spending, and that is the BDC. For all of the millions of dollars spent, the business districts are in terrible shape, and that is after years of a good economy.
+1

Even if they did nothing, the district should have prospered during a good economy.  So, these guys got paid to be inept. 
Stupid fuck