News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Anderson Ford 8/26/09

Started by buzz, August 26, 2009, 03:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markweiner

Hey come on. The Alderpeople just voted to give TIF money to Able Printing in the Depot
so Able can get a new roof. 

Don't you know how that is going to add to our
tax base, and bring in retail sales by adding a new roof? (Sarcasm)

Yeppers, Phelan was against helping Anderson Ford. I reluctantly sided with Anderson
Ford because, as explained to us, the City was going to be protected. If all hell broke loose,
the City would be the owners of the south property of Anderson Ford.

Time will tell.

Thor

Quote from: markweiner on September 18, 2009, 10:31:42 AM
Hey come on. The Alderpeople just voted to give TIF money to Able Printing in the Depot
so Able can get a new roof. 

Don't you know how that is going to add to our
tax base, and bring in retail sales by adding a new roof? (Sarcasm)

Yeppers, Phelan was against helping Anderson Ford. I reluctantly sided with Anderson
Ford because, as explained to us, the City was going to be protected. If all hell broke loose,
the City would be the owners of the south property of Anderson Ford.

Time will tell.
See this is where the BDC falls short. They should be concentrating on bringing in new business instead we are writing welfare checks to Able Printing. How many times has LaNotte drank from the BDC trough of free money?
Not just picking on the Depot area as I am sure other businesses in Berwyn do the same thing. How much time does the BDC spend working on the Mutt Show or Oktoberfest or Route66? Not saying these aren't good events BUT they should be spun off on their own. The BDC needs to concentrate on doing 1 thing, bring in new businesses/tax dollars to justify their existence.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

billyjean

Thor (The BDC needs to concentrate on doing 1 thing, bring in new businesses/tax dollars to justify their existence.)

Agree, 100%.

Suzy Q

I have never felt that the BDC was active in recruiting NEW business.  Perhaps we need to do something different and stop relying on them.  They appear to focus on activities that will draw people to their own businesses.  It's not working....time for change.

n01_important

Wasn't one of the ideas from the new mayor to streamline the process to approve new businesses?  I'm sure the BDC is working diligently to fix that.  How long has it been... 6 months since the new administration took over?

If the BDC is of any value, let the local businesses pay for it.  I am not that involved to know for sure, but I haven't seen many new businesses during the boom times and during the rough times... so what is BDC actually doing?
Stupid fuck

buzz

Quote from: n01_important on September 18, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
If the BDC is of any value, let the local businesses pay for it. 
I think that may be part of the problem.  The local business do pay, as members, and they hold too much influence over the BDC actions.
I think they protect their own and don't encouage any progressive thinking.
I paid for my own roof.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: buzz on September 18, 2009, 10:25:45 PM
Quote from: n01_important on September 18, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
If the BDC is of any value, let the local businesses pay for it. 
I think that may be part of the problem.  The local business do pay, as members, and they hold too much influence over the BDC actions.
I think they protect their own and don't encouage any progressive thinking.
I paid for my own roof.

Look at the budget.  The BDC gets hundreds of thousands of dollars (close to a million I think) from the city/TIF's.  Membership a couple years back contributed 30k.  Way out of whack.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

billyjean

Why would one restaurant help BDC attract another restaurant?, etc.  I wouldn't.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: billyjean on September 18, 2009, 11:40:55 PM
Why would one restaurant help BDC attract another restaurant?, etc.  I wouldn't.

Why do you think there are entertainment districts?  Because it becomes a destination. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

n01_important

There is a term for that (escapes me now).  OPS is right, once you have several similar businesses in the same area, it actually attracts customers.

A little of topic but funny... Berwyn rules on allow businesses near each other on Cermak Ave., does just the opposite.
Stupid fuck

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: n01_important on September 19, 2009, 09:54:09 AM
There is a term for that (escapes me now).  OPS is right, once you have several similar businesses in the same area, it actually attracts customers.

A little of topic but funny... Berwyn rules on allow businesses near each other on Cermak Ave., does just the opposite.

That rule does not cover every business, just primarily non-retail shops.  You don't normally want your storefronts filled with nail salons, beauty parlors and other similar uses.

n01_important

Insurance companies, law firms, too?
Stupid fuck

buzz

Anderson had a closing party Tuesday night for employees and family.  CLOSED notices are posted on the doors.  It's final.
I was told most of the employees have found other jobs; several are going to Westlake Motors.
AND  what do I get today ???
I get a notice from Ford that my car is being recalled because of faulty cruise control.  They warn all owners not to park in their garage or near structures in case of fire .
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?