News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

AAmerican Vets on Roosevelt near Austin. BAD BAD BAD

Started by PamF, May 02, 2010, 11:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PamF

DO not, I repeat DO NOT, ever take an animal to this hospital.

Last week I had heard that they had some cats they were looking to adopt out.  So I went to look at them.  The conditions there are inhumane.  I took one of the cats that they assured me had been checked out and that the problem with his eyes was just from litter dust.  They charged me $110 to free the animal from the cage.

Well the very next day I called my vet (who happens to do house calls) and he came to check out the cat. 

Many problems.....ear mites (he said bad ones), herpes (the eye problem) and possibly other things.  The cat can bearly walk after jumping off the sofa.

The vet and I hope the jumping part will get better and that maybe he was hurt at the hospital.  The other stuff was just negligence on AAmerican's part.  They never checked this sweet cat out at all.

This place should be shut down.  Vet (if he is really one) was just interested in if our credit card would go through for payment.

If Berwyn takes their strays there.....it's a death sentence for the conditions they are kept in.

buzz

Quote from: PamF on May 02, 2010, 11:49:52 AM
DO not, I repeat DO NOT, ever take an animal to this hospital.

If Berwyn takes their strays there.....it's a death sentence for the conditions they are kept in.
Berwyn has stopped using AAmerican.  We now have a combined contract with Cicero.
Pam, please ask your vet if she believes you should to report this to a gov't agency.  Retailers can be fined/prosecuted for selling an animal considered "unfit for sale".  AAmerican should be held to the same, if not higher standard. 
I hope kitty gets better.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

chandasz

PamF

To Buzz; any ideas who the government agency would be?

Also, just heard from my vet he also has hookworms.

buzz

Quote from: PamF on May 03, 2010, 10:57:40 AM
To Buzz; any ideas who the government agency would be?
Also, just heard from my vet he also has hookworms.
Not sure.  Your Vet would be the best resource for any violation that a Med/Vet facility commits.  She'll know who to contact.  That would probably prompt a facility check.
Concernig the sale of the kitty, from what I remember, it starts with the Better Business Bureau.  But if AAmerican is not recording this as a "sale", and they may not be, recording it as an adoption/rescue instead, then I really don't know.  Again, unfit for sale applies to retail licenses, like retail pet stores.  Please, ask your vet.
I'll also check with some rescue people and get back to you with more info.

PamF

My vet will be over tomorrow evening; I will ask him for advice.  As he also mentioned that we really did rescue the cat...because he has had dealings with that facility and doesn't trust them at all.  Evidently they have had their license yanked a couple of times already.   They really don't seem to care about the animals at all.  

<REMOVED COMMENT ABOUT MURDERED SON - Admin>

OakParkSpartan

Berwynite,

Last and final warning.  You are behaving as a troll.  Remember what happened to your other accounts?  POOF!  The Old Style swilling idiot will be gone again.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

PamF

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 03, 2010, 09:12:58 PM
Berwynite,

Last and final warning.  You are behaving as a troll.  Remember what happened to your other accounts?  POOF!  The Old Style swilling idiot will be gone again.
Who/what is bernynite?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: PamF on May 04, 2010, 09:30:51 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 03, 2010, 09:12:58 PM
Berwynite,

Who/what is bernynite?

Berwynite is a poster here who runs around taking shots at the people that post here or bitches about people posting here.  Much like the Old Style swilling idiot who used to post here and now rants elsewhere.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

rbain

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

buzz

Getting back to the topic !
Pam, I rec'd 1 response.  I'm told you have to start locally because each suburb has differing laws.  In our case we have home rule.
I was told you should start with notifying the Chamber of Commerce and also the city department responsible for Business & Licensing.  In other words call City Hall and register a complaint.
Then I was told that if it's a case of imminent danger or cruelty, call the cops !
Good luck.  Hope kitty gets better soon.

BRoWN

Report them to the Humane Society...better yet send a TV crew down there

LOL

This is so sad! Please let us know if letters/emails need to be written to call attention to this with the proper city/state/national agencies. Sometimes you need to have a few complaints before things are even investigated (although it sounds like they've probably had a lot of complaints already).
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Cathy

PamF:  So sorry to hear your story.  I have heard very mixed reviews about AAmerican.  I did see the condition of Mr. Wiggles, a Pit Bull  that was rescued from a Berwyn garage and placed at AAmerican.  That poor dog was a horrible mess.  Thankfully he was rescued from AAmerican, finally adopted and is living in total luxury now.

I would contact The Humane Society and file a report.  I do hope your new kitty will be fine.  What a lucky cat to have you find and rescue him.
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

buzz

Pam, I got another response from the same person.  Take your vet bills back to AAmerican and demand that they return your adoption fees.
It won't resolve the terrible conditions but it might work to help you get some $$$$ back.  It may also serve them a warning.
How's the kitty ?

PamF

The vet came last night and gave him the earmites treatment and an antibiotics shot for the upper respiratory infection.  He will come next week and give him the worming shot (didn't want to overmedicate him).  Then he'll be tested for aid/luekemia. 

He's getting better.  His sore hips seem to be getting better as well...the vet suspects someone kicked him there or hit him with a broom!

He was very frisky this morning.  Appears to be responding to the meds.

Cathy

That is good news.   How wonderful that you found this little "lucky" kitty!  I hope he will continue to improve under your loving care!
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.