News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

House

Started by viktor, December 08, 2010, 04:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viktor

I'm looking to purchase a Victorian home in Berwyn.  It definitely needs the roof redone because their are several layer of roof and the gutter are not installed correctly.  Does any have an idea on how much this would cost ???

Bonster

My vote is for 2 dollars.  1 is seriously underestimating incidental costs during the project.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

I just had mine done, but there's probably not much comparison.  I have a basic frame bungalow...my estimates ran from $6500 to 9500 for the roof (tear off, lots of rotted wood to replace), and the gutters anywhere from $900 to 1400.  Venting solutions ~$600-900 range.

My total cost was about $9800, of which oh, $6-800 was replacement wood.  I could have easily done it all for closer to $7K, but I got exactly what I wanted.  I prefer GAF roofing tiles for their style.

Be sure to get 5-10 different estimates.  Don't be swayed by one guy or flashy write-ups.  Check them all out, then call others back as you learn more about different solutions.  You'll find out who's truly competent.  I used Rooftech Systems, also was happy with Berg's ideas (both rec'd here).  The one "large" company that I didn't use, but would feel confident with is Champion Roofing.  Highly competent.  I have a bunch of other numbers for roofers that I gathered from BTF and other local recommendations.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: viktor on December 08, 2010, 04:35:16 PM
I'm looking to purchase a Victorian home in Berwyn.  It definitely needs the roof redone because their are several layer of roof and the gutter are not installed correctly.  Does any have an idea on how much this would cost ???
We have a 2000 square foot American Four-Square and had a new roof, fascia, soffit, gutters and 13 windows installed about 8 years ago - the house was about 95 years old then.  We had the max amount of previous roof layers and when they did the tear-off the initial cedar shake was nailed to the rafters so all new decking had to be laid also - we knew about that.  Then there was other wood replacement for the soffit and fascia because of rotted wood and yes the outside chimney decided to start coming apart also so we replaced that.  It was a huge job and yes did run a little over budget but we knew we had some big time problems up there before they began.  We used architectural shingles.  Total for the entire job was about 20K - I estimate the roof, fascia, soffit, gutters, chimney and everything that went with that was about 15K.  

Yes, get multiple estimates and if it's an old Victorian be prepared for some unexpected extra expense perhaps.  Most of all use a reputable company because this is truly an investment.  Ours did cost a pretty penny but 8 years later we've had NO problems.

Robert Pauly

We have a pretty good sized bungalow - tear-off, some decking repairs, GAF shingles, ridge and soffit venting - $10M.  Could have gone cheaper, but wouldn't have gotten the venting we desired.

Bons - I was hoping that our new soffit and ridge vents would prevent the water and icicle build-up that we experience on the south side of our house, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  How goes it with yours?

The Jackal

10 Mil for a new roof?

Holy Moley!!!!!!!!

Bonster

Quote from: Robert Pauly on December 09, 2010, 10:23:24 AM
Bons - I was hoping that our new soffit and ridge vents would prevent the water and icicle build-up that we experience on the south side of our house, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  How goes it with yours?

So far so good.  I wanted to put some heat tape where it was always the worst - over my front f'ing stairs - but it's too late now, so we'll see what happens as the winter drags on.

One major difference is that my attic windows haven't iced up due to humidity, which tells me it is escaping with the greater ventilation.  Bonus effect is you can still see the Christmas lights in those windows.

I think there's something else going on with your setup, Bob.  I have a feeling.  Did your vents get covered with snow or ice?

RockabillyMillie

Quote from: The Jackal on December 09, 2010, 11:34:58 AM
10 Mil for a new roof?

Holy Moley!!!!!!!!

M is used as a symbol for $1000. I believe it's Roman. He means $10,000, silly butt.  ::)

pkd50

When I was selling my house, the buyer's inspector said that when a new roof was needed it would have to be a tear off.  She asked for 10K from me for a new roof, which I guess is what it would have cost.    I said deal off, because the roof didn't need replacing then.  She bought the house anyway.  I hope she'll get many years out of it before it needs to be replaced.  At the time, I had no idea that roofs were that expensive.

Bonster

Quote from: pkd50 on December 09, 2010, 12:35:58 PM
When I was selling my house, the buyer's inspector said that when a new roof was needed it would have to be a tear off.  She asked for 10K from me for a new roof, which I guess is what it would have cost.    I said deal off, because the roof didn't need replacing then.  

LOL...she wanted money for future repairs!  Nice job standing your ground pkd.

dukesdad

The whole "home inspector" as a negotiating tool in buying a house has gotten ridiculous. The last couple of houses I sold, I told the realtor the only thing the home inspection could be used for was to back out of the deal. The realtors hate that, but if people want a new house, buy a new house. Don't buy an 80 year old house and expect it to be good as new. Rant over.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

One other thing we had the roofers did was install one of those power roof attic ventilators because we have an attic above the second floor.  It has a thermostat and automatically goes on when the temp hits 70 degrees in the attic.  Does it cut done on our A/C costs?  I'm still not sure because of the ancient (about 30yo) central air unit we have and our bills this past summer were huge.  I guess it must help.  The C/A will be replaced this spring.

Bonster

If it's just a roof ventilator it's not meant to save on A/C like a whole house fan, but to add years to the life of your roof.  The temperatures your roof deck reach can be quite damaging.

baron von berwyn

do yourself a favor- buy a building in another town.....have you seen the taxes increases lately?? and they just keep coming.... however, if you like to throw money away like most of the voters in this town, then by all means.... buy a home here.

Berwyn Patsy

Or yea, you could by a home in Orland Park too.  The village portion of the
real estate taxes will be going up about $50.00  next year.  They approved a $13.3
million levy increase.  Running is not an option for everyone.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: baron von berwyn on December 10, 2010, 07:20:19 AM
do yourself a favor- buy a building in another town.....have you seen the taxes increases lately?? and they just keep coming.... however, if you like to throw money away like most of the voters in this town, then by all means.... buy a home here.

Berwynites wouldn't know high taxes if it kissed them on the lips.  Berwyn is the mecca for low taxes, low services.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 10, 2010, 07:36:01 AM
     Or yea, you could by a home in Orland Park too.  The village portion of the
real estate taxes will be going up about $50.00  next year.  They approved a $13.3
million levy increase.  Running is not an option for everyone.
50 dollars?  The City of Berwyn portion of my taxes went up $255 on my most current bill.  That equates to more than 1 quarter pounder per week, thank you very much.

Ana

We paid almost $10K for our roof about 7 years ago.  Complete tearoff and garage too.  Our Sellers said it didn't need replacing and would last many, many years, but the pigeons and rain didn't agree.  We had to replace a lot of decking and a lot of soffit, which was beadboard, and not covered under the roof repair.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby