7th and 8th Ward Meeting, tonight 7-8pm @ the VFW Hall on 15th & Harlem

Started by Bonster, September 27, 2012, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

It was a good turnout - every seat taken...and then some.  150 people, perhaps.

The two aldermen spoke first as I was walking in.  Blah blah blah blah. 

Police Chief Ritz spoke about measures they're taking on gang suppression and community involvement.  Blah blah blah.

Joe Vallez, Executive Director of the North B'wyn Park District, talked about park initiatives - 3 new parks with another on the way, making up for the loss of land in Berwyn Gardens.  He mentioned delays in development of the water park on 19th & Cuyler after having fired the original contractor.  Vallez also spoke of plans for rebuilding and expansion of the Maple Pool. It probably will not be done by next summer, but will be safer, modern, with waterslides, et al.  All projects are being funded by grants, not bonds or taxes.  He is slick.

Anthony Griffin, Executive Director of the Berwyn Development Corp (BDC) spoke about 7th and 8th ward business plans: working to develop another block on Cermak (Starbucks and Caribou), a few more storefronts farther down, and a few lots on Roosevelt including two more music-oriented business venues.

Mayor Lovero spoke shortly, didn't say much (knew he'd be peppered during Q&A!); was enthralled by the large turnout.  He talked about development efforts, and said that he defers all accolades to Tony Griffin and Co. from the BDC.  He said he may come in and sell Berwyn at the end, but it's all about the BDC.  Regarding TIF monies, he didn't defend how MUCH they use, but said they're put to good use under this BDC crew.

Police Commander Jim Sassetti gave the best speech of the night regarding Neighborhood Watch.  Glad he took over from whatshername... man, she was a hack.  He said the number of citizens becoming involved the last few years has blown him away: there's close to 300 registered block captains in the NW program.  Impressive considering there's 400+ blocks in town.  Talked about the camera truck, and encouraged the citizens to be proactive and use vigiliate tactics. (not really)

Christina Shorner from City of Homes spoke about the latest program, Block Appeal, with which residents could get their Bungalows' wing walls repointed for just the cost of a copayment (whatever amount that is).  The annoying lady up front complained, saying she needs her entire house done.  For free.

Q&A

A gentleman stood up and gave a passionate speech about all the dog attacks lately.  He did his homework, citing numbers from the PD, from the VCA, from neighboring towns.  He focused on pit bulls.  Mayor Lovero said the last two weeks have been brutal - aside from the recent canine murder on 26th.  Unfortunately, he did not have a proactive answer just yet for the problems, only reactive measures, admitting breed bans are not legally enforceable.  THe man who asked admitted with mixed breeds bans are not feasible.  Lovero did state, however, that roughly 95% percent of the recent attacks have involved "pit bulls."

At least 4 more people chimed in about dogs on the loose, too many dogs, backyard breeding, rabies, dog shit, etc.  The mayor emphasized Berwyn has a 3 pet limit, including any combination of animals.  I have about 15 fish in my aquarium, none registered to the city.  Arrest me.

One person spoke exclusively of dog crap on the parkways.  Another lady complained about all the trash and Hoys on parkways, abandoned porches, businesses.  Someone complained about gang graffiti and people hanging out at the empty Harley Davidson building. 

A man spoke about his disappointment that during this record-setting summer the Maple Pool was not in service.  Joe Vallez from the NBPD said the problem is that they need to drop over 100 G's to get the pool in working order, and with the upcoming demolition and rebuild it wouldn't be prudent, financially, to dump that money in for one season.

A gentleman in back questioned the idea of creating new water parks which do not convert to ice rinks.  At first Joe Vallez stated it couldn't be done, to which this person stated he is an architect, and knows for a fact it can be done.  He was lamenting the fact all our efforts are focused on warm weather activities, disregarding possible usage during the winter.  Made a lot of sense to me, though Mayor Lovero stated we DO have an ice rink at Janura Park, but it NEVER gets used.  They end up leaving it for cold weather hoops.  Apparently there used  be one that the Mayor used to skate at where the present NBPD is headquartered.

Anthony Griffin/BDC was asked about World of Beer in the old Bank Building.  The company has delayed the project once already, and has now asked for another 3 month deferment.  Griffin said that is a red flag, since they haven't put any earnest capital down for the project.  Doesn't look good, IMO.

I got a free pen.

Bonster

Quote from: Jenster on September 28, 2012, 04:59:38 PM
The two aldermen spoke first as I was walking in.  Blah blah blah blah. 
* Actually I missed what Nora was saying.  Too late.

justme

I honestly want to know why we need so many parks. Seriously. Kids are always shooting hoops in the alleys and a few times had a hockey net set up in the street. They don't even use the parks.

Bonster

One (19th/Cuyler) was replacing the dilapidated old playground, and another (Berwyn Gardens) is for children of all abilities -

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=11570.0

Wheelchair accessible rides, swings for chillens without tone to sit up in, etc.

justme

Quote from: Jenster on September 28, 2012, 06:56:22 PM
One (19th/Cuyler) was replacing the dilapidated old playground, and another (Berwyn Gardens) is for children of all abilities -

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=11570.0

Wheelchair accessible rides, swings for chillens without tone to sit up in, etc.

Ah, that makes sense!

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Terri

Quote from: justme on September 28, 2012, 06:37:16 PM
I honestly want to know why we need so many parks. Seriously. Kids are always shooting hoops in the alleys and a few times had a hockey net set up in the street. They don't even use the parks.

You are kidding. Kids can't use the parks in Berwyn for kicking around fun on a whim, all sports have to be organized with coaches and parents cheering and concessions and fees...   

Last weekend two of my three and a friend went to play baseball at Janura.  Couldn't, park filled with organized teams.  I've lost count over the years this has happened to my kids.  No pick up games in Berwyn.  I really feel for teenagers when they say there is nothing in Berwyn for them to do.  They are right.       

Bonster

Terri

A gentleman in back questioned the idea of creating new water parks which do not convert to ice rinks.  At first Joe Vallez stated it couldn't be done, to which this person stated he is an architect, and knows for a fact it can be done.  He was lamenting the fact all our efforts are focused on warm weather activities, disregarding possible usage during the winter.  Made a lot of sense to me, though Mayor Lovero stated we DO have an ice rink at Janura Park, but it NEVER gets used.  They end up leaving it for cold weather hoops. Apparently there used  be one that the Mayor used to skate at where the present NBPD is headquartered.

Skating rink at Janura, seriously, when, where was I, how did I miss it?  I never, ever knew and I ice skate.  Anyone else not know? 

Jenster, Janura Park makes me see red!!!  What the h-e-double hockey sticks is that gross, tacky orange piece of plastic disguising itself as a fence?  Every winter we cross country ski at Janura, however it is impossible to ski around the entire park because the above described fencing is blocking a path or hanging down not allowing persons to go over or under it.  UGH!!! 
I did attempt to contact the BPD a few years ago, no response then the snow melted.  I may still have pictures I took.  UGH!!!!   

Sorry for the rant.  Janura is a fabulous space that has never been well cared for and it makes me crazy. 

Bonster

Quote from: Terri on September 29, 2012, 12:01:29 AM
A gentleman in back questioned the idea of creating new water parks which do not convert to ice rinks.  At first Joe Vallez stated it couldn't be done, to which this person stated he is an architect, and knows for a fact it can be done.  He was lamenting the fact all our efforts are focused on warm weather activities, disregarding possible usage during the winter.  Made a lot of sense to me, though Mayor Lovero stated we DO have an ice rink at Janura Park, but it NEVER gets used.  They end up leaving it for cold weather hoops. Apparently there used  be one that the Mayor used to skate at where the present NBPD is headquartered.

Skating rink at Janura, seriously, when, where was I, how did I miss it?  I never, ever knew and I ice skate. 

The courts on the west side.  I think Beans mentioned playing hockey there before.  I've seen it set up, but never used.

justme

Quote from: Terri on September 28, 2012, 11:44:01 PM
Quote from: justme on September 28, 2012, 06:37:16 PM

You are kidding. Kids can't use the parks in Berwyn for kicking around fun on a whim, all sports have to be organized with coaches and parents cheering and concessions and fees...   

Last weekend two of my three and a friend went to play baseball at Janura.  Couldn't, park filled with organized teams.  I've lost count over the years this has happened to my kids.  No pick up games in Berwyn.  I really feel for teenagers when they say there is nothing in Berwyn for them to do.  They are right.     

That is really fucked up.

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: buzz on September 29, 2012, 06:45:31 PM
Quote from: Jenster on September 28, 2012, 11:48:33 PM
Quote from: buzz on September 28, 2012, 11:24:13 PM
I got a free pen.
You paid for it.
No, you paid for it.  My taxes went down.  ta ta!
Then you just paid less.  It'll probably all even out after the next  15%  tax hike.
This household cannot take another one of those with another child to put through high school.  At this point, I'd be better off renting in a MUCH better high school district.  After almost 25 years living here, that is a very sad fact.

Bonster

I got a free pen.
You paid for it.
Then you just paid less.  It'll probably all even out after the next  15%  tax hike.

15% locally? ... drop in the bucket.   15% County?  Fuck it.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Jenster on September 29, 2012, 07:09:27 PM
I got a free pen.
You paid for it.

15% locally? ... drop in the bucket.   15% County?  Fuck it.
I'm really glad to hear you cavalier attitude towards tax increases - especially since yours went down.  Of course, since I'm living in South Berwyn (the Depot District) I should expect to pay extra because my daughter will be attending the same high school as your neighbors.  Sorry, that just doesn't fly with me anymore.  Remember, we're all living together (going to the same schools) here so my taxes should be based on values citywide which are in the toilet.

Bonster

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on September 29, 2012, 07:19:56 PMmy taxes should be based on values citywide which are in the toilet.

Our values are less than  neighboring towns because of your own neighbors, but your values are in the toilet due to a nationwide housing market crisis.  You think we should have variable rate taxes  based on your home's value?  Crazy talk.

Ted

I think Janura Park is owned and run by the city, not by the Berwyn Park District.

As for kids not having some place to play spontaneously, I say Bring Back the Prairie... LOL

That's where we always went to play ball.

jfrickind

Did they mention which block of Cermak was slated for the next renovation?  (please be mine, please be mine)