News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

City Council 11/9

Started by NYWREB, November 08, 2010, 10:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYWREB

Apparantely lots going on tomorrow night on 26th Street.  Received this info from a friend:

There will be a vote on the new restricted commercial zone for Roosevelt Road
and Harlem Avenues.  There was a public hearing held on 10/26 regarding this
restricted zone, which will allow for medical clinics and treatment clinics
(including methadone clinics).  The Public Notice required for the hearing was
published in the Lawndale News, which according to it's website is circulated to
approximately 6900 people in Berwyn.  By my calculations, that is approximately
13% of our population.  You can read about this hearing in the Berwyn Life here:
http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/topstories/x294023563/Berwyn-to-consider-allowing-drug-alcohol-rehab-clinic.

There is an ordinance being presented that will allow the Fire Department to
charge you each time they respond to an emergency.  While it is being presented
as mostly effecting people who don't live in the city (i.e. they claim most
people involved in car accidents in Berwyn are not residents of Berwyn), it is
important to note that if you call the Fire Department to your home because of a
fire, they will charge you at minimum $400 per hour per truck.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

A 15% increase in our Berwyn taxes and we'll be charged $400 if our house catches on fire and the Fire Department comes out.  That is ridiculous - that's what I'm paying taxes to the city for.  I can understand charging non-residents but there should be an exception for those who live and pay taxes in Berwyn.

berwynguy

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on November 08, 2010, 11:11:40 AM
A 15% increase in our Berwyn taxes and we'll be charged $400 if our house catches on fire and the Fire Department comes out.  That is ridiculous - that's what I'm paying taxes to the city for.  I can understand charging non-residents but there should be an exception for those who live and pay taxes in Berwyn.

I don't want to jump to conclusions by something I read on the internet, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard concerning this city.  A year or so ago my sister was in a car accident in Westchester and she received a bill for the fire truck coming out to the scene.  That was crazy in itself, but if Berwyn actually charges tax paying residents to send a fucking fire truck to their burning house...........????????????

Marge Paul or any other elected official, is this true?
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

dukesdad

It is common practice for emergency services to be billed. In the case of a house fire, your homeowners insurance pays it. In the case of a car accident, the insurance companies fight it out. That's why it doesn't pay to have cheap-ass insurance.

berwynguy

So dukesdad this is ok with you?  "It's common for emergency services to be billed" to what, stick it in the tax payers fucking asses?  The more and more I hear about shit like this the more scary this world we live in becomes.  If things in society keep going in this direction where will we be in 20-30 years?

dukesdad

Yes, it's OK with me. Where the hell is the money supposed to come from? Nobody wants to pay taxes or fees but they still want services. I'd like a fire truck to be there when I call, and an ambulance too. I have lived places where emergency services are billed just like they are proposing, never felt anything being stuck up my ass. I also lived in a rural area where you paid dues to a fire service in addition to your taxes, if you didn't pays dues, they didn't respond. Kind of motivated you to keep your dues up to date.

berwynguy

Where is the money supposed to come from?  Are you serious?  Well let's see.  In the second installment of 2008 I paid the City of Berwyn $1,903 for one property and $1,291 for the other.  Isn't the bulk of the city portion of my tax bill for public safety police/fire?  Isn't that the largest part of the cities budget?  So now if my joint burns down I am going to bet billed by the city for what I am already paying for?  What sense does that make? 

Fuck it, let's just privatize police and fire.  Charge the people that actually use it.  Let the insurance companies "fight it out."  This way I save over $3,200 per year. 

Bonster

How has Berwyn survived since 1908?  Have we always allocated payment for services with budget surplus?  I've always considered our taxes to be our "dues" for fire and police services.  It sounds to me like this is another way to stave off further budget issues via taxation.

It is my understanding 80% of their calls are for non-emergencies, such as needing a band-aid, a ride to MacNeal, headaches and such.  Perhaps they're trying to stem those calls a bit.   That said, I certainly wouldn't want to be billed for things that are legitimate threats which turn out to be non-issues, like smelling smoke, gas, etc.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

Yes, I'm serious. Your taxes pay for the fixed cost of emergency services being available to you. The fees are paid if and when you use them. Sort of like variable cost. Yes, they are trying to stop the band aid calls. I'm pretty sure they already charge for rides to MacNeal.

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on November 08, 2010, 01:42:15 PM
Your taxes pay for the fixed cost of emergency services being available to you. The fees are paid if and when you use them.

"are," or "will be?"

Or are you talking EOY line items we regularly account for?

java

I think it's great that the Council is looking after the well-being of our young folks.  I am in full support of item I2 – Indecency Ordinance, which includes, among other findings:

WHEREAS, there is evidence that indicates that wearing sagging pants is injurious to the health of the wearer as it causes an improper gait;

I also think the Council is wise to plan to locate the methadone clinic along Harlem or Roosevelt.  It will provide better drive-thru access for all the Riverside and Oak Park junkies.
The City of Homers

dukesdad

I don't know who you are, but I'm guessing you might be that guy that wanders around the Depot District. It scares me that there a lot of people that think like you living here too. I guess we cancel each other out.

berwynguy

No problem.  Sounds good to me.  I will look foreword to my next tax bill and if/when I call the FD and receive a bill for doing so I will toast a beer to you.  

Bonster

The need for billing actually sounds logical to me, considering the massive increase in calls* with little increase in property taxes over the years, yet without proof of need from the city (one would hope the aldermen are well-informed) it would be harder to believe after 101 years of status quo.

That said, we (Berwyn residents) are NOT being billed.  Our taxes are our "dues" for fire and police services.

SECTION 6:  These mitigation rates will only apply to persons not residing within the City of Berwyn as the residents within the city boundaries currently subsidize these emergency services through their property taxes.  Responses involving intoxicated drivers, hazmat clean-up, Bonster's house, and negligent acts may be subject to all applicable rates regardless of residency.

The ordinance is on pp 56-63 in the packet:
http://berwyn-il.gov/pdf/MtgAgendas/2010/20101109-CouAgenda-Full-Packet.pdf

* the numbers given during Citizens Police Academy were staggering

berwynguy

QuoteI don't want to jump to conclusions by something I read on the internet, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard concerning this city.

So the IVB's message is wrong?

Well I guess that I jumped to conclusions.  The interesting thing I did learn is that there are residents out there that think charging tax paying residents for emergency services is justified and ok.  

berwynguy

After thinking about it for a while I deleted my post above that was directed towards dukesdad.  It was inappropriate and I apologize to him.  This country is great because we have people that think and feel differently.  He is entitled to his opinion as am I.  Again, I apologize.

The Jackal

Bguy,

Depends which side of the fence you sit on....but don't worry about, the average emergency response bill is no greater than the cost of a Quarter Pounder......Bon Apetit!

HKay

MiL had a stroke (fatal in the long run) and transport to MacNeal via BFD Ambulance from 1200 block of Clarence and she was a 20+ year Berwyn resident. A few weeks after her death a clerk either working for or representing BFD called and wanted the name of her insurance carrier for billing. Grand total: $600+ for ALS services. Any other Berwyn residents get billed for FD EMS services...?

dukesdad

I know that a couple of my neighbors have. Their insurance has paid for it.

Bonster

Of course, that's Ambulance service.   When has that ever been free?