5/13/08 Council

Started by OakParkSpartan, May 11, 2008, 12:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on May 14, 2008, 09:52:39 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 14, 2008, 09:19:56 AMand Lovero because the police officer in question allegedly worked on Lovero's campaign.  So he'd be denied a promotion due to political activity?  Guess the bill of rights doesn't apply in Ald. Erickson's world.

Uhhh, no.  ...the spirit is not to DENY a promotion due to political activity, but that he'd be GETTING a promotion due to ... political activity.

From Lovero's point of view.  Erickson seemed to want to deny it due to his political activity.

Messy situation all around.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

My understanding was the promotion was being denied because the City did not have money for additional promotions.  OPS, am I correct?  

PW contract was approved.  Sticker ord. reducing the purchase time from 60 to 30 days was sent to COW.  

OakParkSpartan

Yeah, you are Terri.

Council's failure to approve the vehicle tag increase contributes to the financial problems of the city.  That money was also in the budget they approved.

Also, I think that the crap that a city employee was subjected to last night was just wrong.  The accusations etc. should have been handled privately and they shouldn't have drug his name through the mud.  IMHO this was similar behavior to what #4 did with Cmdr Cimaglia last year when discussing pay increases.  Just wrong.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 14, 2008, 09:19:56 AM
Then, Phelan relates a conversation with the building director regarding a story of needing a building permit to REPAIR a fence.  being told he needs a building permit.  He then says he is just going to leave the fence down/missing.  He is told by the city employee that it would look "queer" and "gay".  Apparently discussed in closed.  If true, the Director should be gone, gone, gone IMHO.

+1

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 14, 2008, 09:19:56 AM
Now onto the grievances.  After speaking with one of the union reps, the BPD union is OK with the time clock.  I was mistaken in the earlier post.

This is when the meeting went to hell in a handbasket. 

Brian,  what was the issue or incident that caused the meeting to go into hell in a hand basket?  I was not quite sure what caused the ruckus?

Ted

OakParkSpartan

Erickson precipitated it.

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 14, 2008, 09:19:56 AMIMHO, what transpired was 10% Bobby's fault (he lost his cool, but Erickson was like a little kid who just keeps jabbing with a stick over and over), OC 20% for failing to get control of the meeting prior to it spiraling out of control, and Erickson about 70% because he was the instigator and his slipshod committee work caused a lot of problems.

A pretty sad display of "leadership" in many ways by our council.

NO Leadership
DCoB - out
IVB - out
BRIC - out

Now what, Castro?  Bojo?  OPS?  frank white?  SKYDAN?  Giuliani?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Berwyn Patsy

The shame of it all.  Not one of them could come up with a second vote on the issue of
Health Insurance, not even for the financial sake of thier city!  I just don't get it!!
With gas being $4.00 a gallon, I am surprised thier not putting a vote on the floor to get thier
gas card usage reinstated!  Has no one any shame?

frank white

Quote from: Bonster on May 14, 2008, 07:13:23 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 14, 2008, 09:19:56 AMIMHO, what transpired was 10% Bobby's fault (he lost his cool, but Erickson was like a little kid who just keeps jabbing with a stick over and over), OC 20% for failing to get control of the meeting prior to it spiraling out of control, and Erickson about 70% because he was the instigator and his slipshod committee work caused a lot of problems.

A pretty sad display of "leadership" in many ways by our council.

NO Leadership
DCoB - out
IVB - out
BRIC - out

Now what, Castro?  Bojo?  OPS?  frank white?  SKYDAN?  Giuliani?

Why put me in the mix?
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

OakParkSpartan

Another interesting part of the entire blow up was that Lovero made a motion, I believe Chapman seconded to approve the promotion.  However OC insisted that the committee chair (Erickson) would be the only one recognized to make a motion.  Haven't seen that situation occur many (none that I can recall, actually) in the last few years.

Paul Fuentes

Quote from: Terri on May 14, 2008, 10:12:14 AM
My understanding was the promotion was being denied because the City did not have money for additional promotions.  OPS, am I correct? 

PW contract was approved.  Sticker ord. reducing the purchase time from 60 to 30 days was sent to COW. 

The position was already in the budget,  So refute wherever I am wrong, as I have very little info on the issue.

1.  The denial of promotion was, from the limited record I have before me, based on some offense to exercising 1st Amendement Rights.  Not on merit.

2.  I have known the police officer of discussion for about a decade.  I see him in an arena most of you have no biz in. 

3.  I have no ties to whatever his political stance is.  In fact, we are quite at odds on many points.

4.   That said, being in court EVERY SINGLE DAY, the officer of discussion is one of Berwyn's finest.  I KNOW.  He makes "good"arrests (i.e. I usually canno beat him in a preliminary hearimg). He does all the "EXTRA" work to build the case.  HE has a "nose" for" all that u do NOT want here. 

Bottom line, I, as a DEFENSE attorney, would rather see him patrolling my streets and wearing the stripes on the shoulder.  He is a very good officer, has been for quite a while. 

What he does on his own time, what party he supports, means SHIT to me as long as he does his job between the hours he punches in and out. 

He does, and more.

Trust me, I see the crap he takes off your streets on an everyday schedule. 

Challenge me on that

Rear Admiral

P,S, Terri...rumor on the street is that u will run for 2nd ward alderman as an IVB Candidate against Boyagian and Ramos.

Is there any truth to that rumor??

Just asking

OakParkSpartan

I think the whole political thing was something handled very poorly by Erickson.  The campaigning only came up when Erickson tried to prevent Skryd and Lovero from voting.

Overall, it was a mess.

Bonster

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on May 15, 2008, 12:11:53 AM
What he does on his own time, what party he supports, means SHIT to me as long as he does his job between the hours he punches in and out. 

Challenge me on that

If you strongly support a certain political member then promotions, even those based on merit, give the appearance of impropriety, right or wrong.  Think Berwyn.
Having lived here this long, I'm surprised you don't realize that!  (I was told this officer hasn't supported Lovero via PM from someone in the know. (He will, now! (Nice work, Erickson)))

But.......I thought the idea was to block votes from people with certain interests, like Skryd, not to deny promotions when deserved? 

Sassetti was actually denied?  Or was the promotion simply not granted due to the fiasco that ensued?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on May 15, 2008, 09:22:48 AM

Challenge me on that

If you strongly support a certain political member then promotions, even those based on merit, give the appearance of impropriety, right or wrong.  Think Berwyn.
Having lived here this long, I'm surprised you don't realize that!  (I was told this officer hasn't supported Lovero via PM from someone in the know. (He will, now! (Nice work, Erickson)))

But.......I thought the idea was to block votes from people with certain interests, like Skryd, not to deny promotions when deserved? 

Sassetti was actually denied?  Or was the promotion simply not granted due to the fiasco that ensued?

Net result was he was not promoted.  Causation is a different question.

markweiner

Paul:

Very unfair question of Terri, although I hope she runs and indicates so. The earlier people know you are running the better.

Why is it unfair? Because when I asked you about future political plans, be it you or your friend(s), you indicated you could not and would not tell me.

You would not tell me anything about a non-partisan referendum. You would not tell me if your friend was running to be an Alderman, Mayor, or any other position.

You would not tell me about a City-Manager form of government referendum.

Nada.

Mark

ZORBA

P,S, Terri...rumor on the street is that u will run for 2nd ward alderman as an IVB Candidate against Boyagian and Ramos.

Is there any truth to that rumor??

Just asking

That question is bullshit my friend, and you know it.

Unless of course you want people asking YOU questions.

Since when did we get into rumor verification on this site?

ZORBA

Quote from: markweiner on May 15, 2008, 11:16:44 AM
Paul:

Very unfair question of Terri, although I hope she runs and indicates so. The earlier people know you are running the better.

Why is it unfair? Because when I asked you about future political plans, be it you or your friend(s), you indicated you could not and would not tell me.

You would not tell me anything about a non-partisan referendum. You would not tell me if your friend was running to be an Alderman, Mayor, or any other position.

Nada.

Mark

+1, +2, +3, and +4.

ZORBA

Quote from: markweiner on May 15, 2008, 11:16:44 AM
Paul:

Nada.

Mark

Par for the course Mark.

Just smile and wave.

And make sure you're BEHIND the scenes.

markweiner

ZORBA

Yessireee, it seems like EVERYBODY is getting into the act. ;)

In any event, I'll heed the advice of someone much wiser than myself-when in doubt, NEVER support the candidate who says NOTHING.

Bonster

Quote from: SILK on May 15, 2008, 01:56:22 PM
NEVER support the candidate who says NOTHING.

I hate the saying, but...  "+1"