Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

7/8/08 CoW and Council

Started by OakParkSpartan, July 06, 2008, 10:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Quote from: SILK on July 09, 2008, 08:40:44 AM
Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on July 09, 2008, 08:29:23 AM
The approval of the drug/rehab/meth clinic at 3245 Grove, is in my opinion some thing
that should NOT have been passed.
I read the last proposal on this clinic and unless it's changed it would be a worry for me if I
still/or now did live in that area.
The hours of the clinic were very early in the morning (including Sat).  These are hours that
children walk to school, adults walk to trains. 
Parking is bad enough in front of that building, and on that block which by the way houses a Peds office.
Private Police security will be hired along with the 3 doctors, who I believe were more into
counseling and psch treatment then medical.
This business is privatley owned, not affliated with MacNeal.  This scenario in Berwyn in the DD,
is not going to be a pretty sight.
So now within 1 block of the DD, trains , beautiful old houses we now have a Drug/Meth clinic
and the rowdy nothing but trouble spot of Salernos bar.  That's really going to sell Berwyn!!

Well, #'s 1-2, and #'s 4-7 voted yay, no?
Not exactly, #2 and #5 were excused and did not attend.  #1, #4, #6, and #7 voted yea.  I agree with Patsy, this clinic is not a good sell.  I don't understand their thinking and why they voted yea.     

ZORBA

Yes, you're right, it was mentioned earlier that 2 and 5 weren't present.

So, you have #1, #4, #6, and #7 voting yay, correct?

Berwyn Patsy

Silk, don't act stupid, we know you can count, why don't you just say what you want to say and get
it over with. 

ZORBA

Patsy,

I have NOTHING to say. Don't have to. The city council minutes speak for themselves.

On the other hand, maybe YOU have some 'splainin' to do Lucy.....

Bear

+ Collections on fines by the police department have decreased by $440K

OC caused this deficit all by himself by dumping the collection agency
hired to do such.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Rizzo

Quote from: Terri on July 09, 2008, 08:37:06 AM
If I remember correctly the clinic at 3245 Grove was passed by ZBA yet the fact it was to be a methadone clinic was not brought forth by the clinic.  I was very surprised this passed, #3 and # 8 voted ney.  Patsy, my kids docs are in that building. 

The Mayor said the City has lost 20 million dollars since 2000, need I say that is huge.  Why didn't the City "plan" for reserve monies like other municipalities?  

Council voted to file its annal financial report on time, that hasn't been done in 10 years.  

Excellent reporting job, Ted.

There was a time when the city had a large reserve in its water fund.  Each time that Chicago raised the water rate it was passed on to the residents in Berwyn.  That fund was supposed to be availabe for emergency repair of things like water and sewer pipes, water pumps etc.  Does that fund still exist?

Terri

Quote from: Rizzo on July 09, 2008, 09:15:33 AM
If I remember correctly the clinic at 3245 Grove was passed by ZBA yet the fact it was to be a methadone clinic was not brought forth by the clinic.  I was very surprised this passed, #3 and # 8 voted ney.  Patsy, my kids docs are in that building. 

The Mayor said the City has lost 20 million dollars since 2000, need I say that is huge.  Why didn't the City "plan" for reserve monies like other municipalities?  

Council voted to file its annal financial report on time, that hasn't been done in 10 years.  

There was a time when the city had a large reserve in its water fund.  Each time that Chicago raised the water rate it was passed on to the residents in Berwyn.  That fund was supposed to be availabe for emergency repair of things like water and sewer pipes, water pumps etc.  Does that fund still exist?
The Mayor mentioned last night that Berwyn had overpaid the City of Chicago 5 million dollars.  Could that have been part of the water fund?  The overpayments were from previous administrations.   

Terri

Quote from: Bear on July 09, 2008, 09:11:19 AM
+ Collections on fines by the police department have decreased by $440K

OC caused this deficit all by himself by dumping the collection agency
hired to do such.
You know this to be a fact?  Bear, have you considered drivers are paying more attention to the laws thus less income for fines?  If that is the case, I would be happy. 

Rizzo

Quote from: Terri on July 09, 2008, 09:47:47 AM
Quote from: Rizzo on July 09, 2008, 09:15:33 AM

The Mayor mentioned last night that Berwyn had overpaid the City of Chicago 5 million dollars.  Could that have been part of the water fund?  The overpayments were from previous administrations.   

If we overpaid Chicago how would a Berwyn surplus have been created?  The over payment was also discovered but it was for an unused sewer line?
The water bill surplus was always brought up by a particular alderman stating that the residents should receive a rebate.  The surplus is no longer in existance, if we only have 700,000.00 in reserve.

The fund I remember was over 10,000,000.00

Bear

You know this to be a fact?  Bear, have you considered drivers are paying more attention to the laws thus less income for fines?

Yes.

Drivers paying attention to the laws in 60402?...Surely you jest.

Less income? Tickets wrote increased, not to mention the money generated
impounding vehicles from the noise ord.

Read the blotter, do a dollar total on just a few pages.

The city hired new CSO's and bought three vehicles for the sole intent
of writing more tickets and generating more income, that part of the deal worked.

They screwed up the most important end. Collection.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

ZORBA

I believe the noise ordinance fine has to be paid as a pre condition to the vehicle being released from the pound.

ZORBA

btw, the REAL enforcement tool in collection of traffic citation fines is suspension/revocation by the Sec of State, NOT unleashing a Berwyn collection agency on them.

What is meant by Berwyn "fines"? Which fines? Traffic citations? blight citations? Ordinance violations?

dukesdad

QuoteREAL enforcement tool in collection of traffic citation fines is suspension/revocation by the Sec of State

Not if you don't have a license in the first place, and from a quick reading of the blotter that appears to be pretty much par for the course.

ZORBA

Sure it does, because a subsequent conviction extends the period of revocation/suspension.

dukesdad

Will it revoke my Mexican ID card?

OakParkSpartan

Boot em'.  That gets their attention.

And I've seen more boots in the last year than I can remember in the last 4.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ZORBA

well, if you want to be a smart ass, it will furher revoke/suspend any pospective driving privileges The secreatary of State generates "dummy" DL numbers for those without a license. Any other questions?

dukesdad

Not being a smart ass, many of the drivers stopped in our fair town have no license, never had a license, will never bother applying for a license. Sanctions by the Secretary of State are meaningless to them. No insurance either. A guy hit my neighbors car the other night, launched it onto his front lawn. No license, no insurance, valid Mexican ID from the state of Guererro though.

Vic0218

I have to ask - is there any recourse for me (as a resident) to take to prevent the opening of a methodone clinic in Berwyn? Seriously, if anyone does know the best way to protest this, please let me know. I'll take it on.

I have lived here for 5 years...and my biggest issue with this administration has been the of vision and planning, especially in the Depot District. It is clear to me that a few individuals are making amazing progress on some projects (thank you!), but there is no overall vision for the city itself.

Now the council has approved putting a methodone clinic in the middle of one of the most visible spots of Berwyn...one of the key spots that has potential for development? On a major walking path that children in the district use to get to school? Next to a brand new condo development? Are you kidding me?

Who thought this was a good idea - if this is how the city thinks it is going to make up for revenue/budget shortfalls, they are at a level of incompetence that even I didn't think was possible. If there was some association to MacNeal, I would reconsider my opposition - but as a private clinic, they have no ties to the community.

What to do?
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

OakParkSpartan

You might contact your local alderman and also the BDC, as they are responsible for development in Berwyn.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato