8/12 COW and City Council meeting

Started by Ted, August 08, 2008, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

ZORBA

Quote from: Bear on August 11, 2008, 08:18:54 PM
Joe, I feel the cuts should have been across the board to address the entire
2 mil deficit. OC only threw a dime into a big bucket with the layoffs. There was no
master plan to take care of the problem in one fell swoop.

Master plan to take care of the problem in one fell swoop?

THIS I want to hear!!!!! ;D :D ;D

ZORBA

Quote from: Bear on August 11, 2008, 07:37:29 PM
Terri, I am not privy to continuing union negotiation however I will
say that #7 brings up some viable points. Whacking a few "lowest
of the totem pole" PWD workers and others does little to address the
2 mil budget deficit, and is only a band-aid on the situation. that takes
needed services away from the taxpayer.

Where are real measures from the OC to address the situation? EVERYONE
should equally feel the pain. As mayor, OC should step up and take a 10% paycut
to show leadership. Appointees and dept. heads should share this burden thru
furloughs or pay cuts. Now we are talking some money. The ridiculous insurance
contract speaks volumes. Why does PWD have TWO appointed supervisors when the dept.
functioned admirably in the past with only one?

Floating more bonds as he did in the past, solves nothing, it just pushes
the problem into the corner.

I say the aldermen give up their health insurance and SHOW SOME LEADERSHIP as well.

Oh wait, they're too busy saving the city from lawsuits, except of course when one of their own tries to sue the City.............. TWICE!

frank white

Does anyone have the figure per year as to what the savings would be if they did give up their insurance? I keep hearing this is good but what are the numbers?
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

Terri

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 08:25:40 PM
Thats the problem with these new people that run this town.
The current administration?  The union contracts determine the order in which employees are laid off.  Employers do not take layoffs lightly and I'm certain this administration, Alderman included did not want to loose one employee because of the City's financial constraints.  Yet budget decisions were made that IMO, forced the layoffs.  It can't be both ways. 

The bonds were restructured last year to get the best possible rates and to keep the City's rating in good standing. 

The Alderman's health insurance is a good beginning. 

joe martin

Yes the union says that layoffs have to go by seniority. Well why is Sam Canino & Jesus Chavez still have their job??? (IVB members maybe) 

Bonster

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 09:46:39 PM
Yes the union says that layoffs have to go by seniority. Well why is Sam Canino & Jesus Chavez still have their job??? (IVB members maybe) 

OK.  That's two people.  What others would you whack?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

joe martin

Bonster what are you saying, that layoffs shouldn't go by seniority???

Terri

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 09:50:06 PM
If you were in charge what decisions would you make? 

Bonster

No, I'm asking you who you would lay off?   (but I dont' think seniority makes sense, either...copmug had a better idea with ERP)

joe martin

Its not about being in charge. Its what is right and what isn't. If you know anything about a union, seniority prevails during a layoff. I would get rid off wasteful spending in an economic crisis that everyone is in. Do you really think that we need all these extra administrators that the mayor hired??   

joe martin

Quote from: Bonster on August 11, 2008, 10:01:12 PM

No, I'm asking you who you would lay off?   (but I dont' think seniority makes sense, either...copmug had a better idea with ERP)
So bonster you know better than union rules about seniority that been working for 75 years. You people make up the laws and rules as you go along.

ZORBA

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 10:01:22 PM
Its not about being in charge. Its what is right and what isn't. If you know anything about a union, seniority prevails during a layoff. I would get rid off wasteful spending in an economic crisis that everyone is in. Do you really think that we need all these extra administrators that the mayor hired??   

Like who?

Bonster

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 10:05:35 PM
Quote from: Bonster on August 11, 2008, 10:01:12 PM

So bonster you know better than union rules about seniority that been working for 75 years. You people make up the laws and rules as you go along.

I don't care how long they've been in place.  Tell me how it makes sense over ERP.  You can't.  Copmug is right on that account, and he's union.

joe martin

Quote from: SILK on August 11, 2008, 10:09:15 PM
Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 10:01:22 PM

Like who?
Where should I begin??? mayor assistants, engineers at PW,commercial project managers that made 100k in one year, fleet manager plus 300k in supplies, what about all the wasteful spending with these contractors doing work PW and other workers get paid to do already.

joe martin

Bonster

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 10:16:03 PM
What is ERP and who is copmug?

He's a city worker, union.
ERP=Early Retirement Package. 

Quote from: copmug002 on August 11, 2008, 06:40:59 PM
The city could save a bundle if they offered early outs to the employees that have 25 to 30 years on the job.

The city saves money by paying lower salaries and insurance premiums go down because the average age of the worker would also be reduced.

Then again that would make to much sense.

Yes...that makes sense...that's about as close to the modern business world as you can get.

joe martin

What does early retirement have to do with laying off by seniority??? Ask copbug if he would like if they did layoffs at his job not by seniority.

Bonster

Quote from: joe martin on August 11, 2008, 10:24:29 PM
What does early retirement have to do with laying off by seniority???

EVERYTHING.  It's for the same damn reason!

Terri

One of the Mayor's first items was to get rid of wasteful spending.  For starters there were active phone lines in buildings, not all public being billed to the City, God only knows why.  Then the overpayment to the City of Chicago for water, got that back.  I'm sure you know the budget wasn't balanced in years, what the heck why balance a budget anyway.  

The way I see it, Berwyn was not serving its people in the best way possible.  It is very important to have a City that brings its residents together, neighborhoods that work.   If that means a National Night Out, Centennial Celebration, Farmers Market, HoubyFest type of events, money spent to operate and plan these events, I think yes administrative staff is necessary and for the good of the community.  Without community events neighborhoods dwindle away.

Ok, so I used BDC and MainStreet event, somewhat City but you get it.