Observations on 5/26/09 Council meeting

Started by OakParkSpartan, May 26, 2009, 11:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Quote from: Bear on May 27, 2009, 09:07:15 PM
"Like South Berwyn?  Ask Bear how that apartment building north of him impacted the area."

Ask the business owners around the housiing authority, sorry center office about the caliber of renters that OP sent us.

3302 was starting to clean up. We have had more of a significant drug
problem there lately (as reported to BPD) since the office opened.

Of course, the rogue renters wear signs (printed by Bear) identifying themselves as Oak Park leftovers.  

Bru67

Quote from: Bear on May 27, 2009, 09:07:15 PM
"Like South Berwyn?  Ask Bear how that apartment building north of him impacted the area."

Ask the business owners around the housiing authority, sorry center office about the caliber of renters that OP sent us.

3302 was starting to clean up. We have had more of a significant drug
problem there lately (as reported to BPD) since the office opened.

I was told by Rob Breymeier of the Housing Center that 3302 Kenilworth is one building which has not been working with the Center.  If that is the case, and it is deteriorating in terms of tenant quality, that would seem to be an argument for the need for either the Center or a reasonable facsimile thereof run by the City.  

Since you seem pretty hooked in, do you have any idea what the new administration intends to do in terms of their own program?  Are they going to work with landlords as to improving the marketability of their buildings?  Are they going to advertise in publications to attract tenants to the community and if so, which ones?  Do you know who is going to run it?  If there will be no program, do you know what the administration intends to do to ensure that 40% of our housing stock  remains a positive and does not (continue to?) deteriorate?  

Whether you liked the prior administration or not, one thing they did do right was recognize that rentals are a key component to our community – one which many think is deteriorating.  Since rentals make up such a large percentage of our housing units, they can heavily impact quality of life -- one way or other.  I hope the new administration sees that also and continues forward progress in this regard.  

Bonster

I'll field this one.

do you have any idea what the new administration intends to do in terms of their own program?  
- economic development

Are they going to work with landlords as to improving the marketability of their buildings?  
- economic development

Are they going to advertise in publications to attract tenants to the community and if so, which ones?  
- The commercials for all the great developments will serve as such.

Do you know who is going to run it?  
- some drunks, (or bored service employees)

If there will be no program, do you know what the administration intends to do to ensure that 40% of our housing stock  remains a positive and does not (continue to?) deteriorate?  
- economic development.   See, when they bring in a Culver's and a Chili's more quality people will want to rent here.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ana

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Thor

Can anyone tell me anything the BDC accomplished under Brian Pabst? All he did was gossip and cause dessention within the BDC. I believe that is one reason we lost a valuable BDC employee. Not that I ever had too much faith in the BDC, especially now that it is turning more and more into a political tool for Maylo.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Thor

Quote from: Ana on May 28, 2009, 01:27:00 PM
I'm moving to Lyons. :D
I say we move to Orland Park so we can vote in stupid people that raise our taxes, short change our education system and totally F-up the town. BUT we have to keep our property here in Berwyn so we can jump on BTF and comment of shit that is none of our business  :666:
Stop your whining and think the way I do

OakParkSpartan

I criticize the BDC a lot, because they have not produced in the past and I don't like the way the city dumps everything into that entity.  I also think we overpay for what we receive.

That being said, I think Tony Griffin, the executive director, and Paul Zimmerman, the new President are very good.

Pabst got the TIF audits complete.  That was a big step.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bru67

Quote from: bonster on May 28, 2009, 01:24:17 PM
I'll field this one.

do you have any idea what the new administration intends to do in terms of their own program?  
- economic development

Are they going to work with landlords as to improving the marketability of their buildings?  
- economic development

Are they going to advertise in publications to attract tenants to the community and if so, which ones?  
- The commercials for all the great developments will serve as such.

Do you know who is going to run it?  
- some drunks, (or bored service employees)

If there will be no program, do you know what the administration intends to do to ensure that 40% of our housing stock  remains a positive and does not (continue to?) deteriorate?  
- economic development.   See, when they bring in a Culver's and a Chili's more quality people will want to rent here.

You snide bastard ;)  How I missed you!  Anyway, economic development usually follows an influx of more affluent residents, not vice versa.  Usually, an area has to get pretty far along the "gentrification chain" before you start seeing economic development.  Economic development tends to be a symptom of gentrification, not so much a cause of it.  That makes logical sense given that a business is not going to want to lose money for an indeterminate time period as it waits for the area to conform to its service or product.  Ask anyone who lived in Wicker Park during the late 1980s or early 1990s and they'll tell you all about that.  

However, Berwyn is not wholly comparable in that it a) is not entirely low income like most pre-gentrification communities are;  b) is surrounded by affluent communities;  and, c) has several high traffic corridors which service those affluent communities.   Thus, we are able to attract businesses like Tonini's, Wishbone, and Bodhi Thai, as well as projects such as the Bank Building restoration.  

So a strong focus on economic development to improve our particular community makes sense, but it should be one component of a larger strategy.  Bad renters can really cause the crime rate to go up and school test scores to go down, which could undermine everything else we're doing right as a community.  Not only do we have a lot of rentals, but they're concentrated, which means negative changes could occur faster and be far more dramatic and damaging than might be the case in other communities.  

Ted

Quote from: Bru67 on May 28, 2009, 06:37:32 PM
...  You snide bastard ;)  How I missed you! ...   

Bru67, welcome back to the board.  I know a lot of us missed you as well. Good to see you posting again.

Ted

mustang54

Quote from: Ted on May 28, 2009, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: Bru67 on May 28, 2009, 06:37:32 PM
...  You snide bastard ;)  How I missed you! ...   

Bru67, welcome back to the board.  I know a lot of us missed you as well. Good to see you posting again.

Ted
I'll second Ted. Been hoping you would return to the forum!!

Bear

Yes Bru, glad to see you back as well...

I was glad to see the housing deal close...

Braemeir sold you and anyone else who was for it a very large
bag of hot ka-ka.

Did you ask him how many applicants who failed credit AND
crimminal background checks in OP were sent to Berwyn?

Where did they advertise? Craigslist! lol

Did any of you camp outside/inside with personel of the housing office to see
the caliber of people OP sent?

I will be polite, they were not the Muffy, Jeff, dink, gay, yup pup,
Croc shoe, friggin latte sucking creature you dream of.

This entity created more problems than it solved.

Look around you.

Finis.

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Berwyn Patsy

Thor your jealousy is showing again.  My investment by the way
is always for sale, just for the right price. 

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on May 28, 2009, 07:34:59 PM
Yes Bru, glad to see you back as well...

I was glad to see the housing deal close...

Braemeir sold you and anyone else who was for it a very large
bag of hot ka-ka.

Did you ask him how many applicants who failed credit AND
crimminal background checks in OP were sent to Berwyn?

Where did they advertise? Craigslist! lol

This entity created more problems than it solved.

Look around you.

Finis.

Lot's of people advertise on Craigslist.  That's where you find good tenants.  Where do you advertise your rental properties?  Oh.  You don't have any.

Again, you are making statements of fact when it is just your DCOB bigotry showing throw.  You don't want blacks in Berwyn.  We all get your code words of "Section 8". 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Joe Keating

Perhaps someone could explain what the phrase "funky town" is code for?

Bonster

I won't be polite:  What were they?  Blacks and Mexicans?  
(I'd doubt the regular DCoBer wants gays, anyway, unless they're straight looking/acting in public.)

Provide proof of your assertations, please.  "Looking around you" nets a view of what's been here for quite a while, now, and the entire reason the Center was created to begin with.

Bonster

Quote from: jman on May 28, 2009, 08:01:36 PM

It's code for 16th thru 22nd Street, not "black part of town" as you are assuming.

You obviously missed the entire debate about that when it was created... by a gay black man...

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: bonster on May 28, 2009, 08:03:41 PM
Quote from: jman on May 28, 2009, 08:01:36 PM

It's code for 16th thru 22nd Street, not "black part of town" as you are assuming.

You obviously missed the entire debate about that when it was created... by a gay black man...

Someone listed the various parts of Berwyn.  They left out Funky Town, and it was christened as such. 

OakParkSpartan

Joe Keating

Cool.  Guess that makes me Berwyn's first warlord.  I'll go round up my homies from over on 19th and Grove and take over the rest of Berwyn with a combination of pimped out car stereo's, old beaters used to ram through walls, and graffiti everyone's asses into submission.

Cheers,
Brian

Sorry, my bad 

Bonster

Quote from: jman on May 28, 2009, 08:24:36 PM
QuoteCool.  Guess that makes me Berwyn's first warlord.  I'll go round up my homies from over on 19th and Grove and take over the rest of Berwyn with a combination of pimped out car stereo's, old beaters used to ram through walls, and graffiti everyone's asses into submission.

Cheers,
Brian

Sorry, my bad 

Yes, your bad.  You missed the contextual sarcasm.