News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

6/9/09 Council

Started by OakParkSpartan, June 05, 2009, 06:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

New position and employee, Deputy Police Chief to be filled by Lt. Joe Drury.

Skryd wants to make all streets running East/West match up with those in Cicero.  Don't know why she is concerned about my neighborhood.  Things seem to work just fine around here (and I doubt she is familiar with any traffic issues in this area).

Selling of permit only parking at 21st and Wesley.    $75/year.  That is cheap for a parking spot.  $20/mo would seem a reasonable charge for a parking spot, especially one that seems focused upon only one building.  These are the spaces that generated the tree controversy several years back.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 05, 2009, 06:05:35 PM
Skryd wants to make all streets running East/West match up with those in Cicero.  Don't know why she is concerned about my neighborhood.  Things seem to work just fine around here (and I doubt she is familiar with any traffic issues in this area). 

?? - What does that mean?  What specific streets does she want to rename?  Renaming streets can be tricky, especially if people live on that street and have their address known to some many entities.

Ted

Bear

Bear Boulevard has a nice ring to it...

That area does need a serious makeover
to say the least...
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

buzz

Skryd wants to make all streets running East/West match up with those in Cicero. 
I don't understand.  Do you mean continuity for traffic flow ?  For example, One-way westbound in Cicero continues as a one-way Westbound in Berwyn ?  Or do you mean naming conventions ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: buzz on June 05, 2009, 09:33:57 PM

Skryd wants to make all streets running East/West match up with those in Cicero. 
I don't understand.  Do you mean continuity for traffic flow ?  For example, One-way westbound in Cicero continues as a one-way Westbound in Berwyn ?  Or do you mean naming conventions ?

You got it buzz, the traffic direction.

I guess so Dominick's pals will have a straight shot through to Harlem.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

And what do you mean by that statement Brian,
please tell us.

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on June 05, 2009, 10:25:23 PM

please tell us.

So that Dominick may expand his influence here in Berwyn. 

n01_important

Why not have Cicero change theirs?

We must not have bigger issues on our plate to spend any time/money/resources on aligning streets with our neighbors.
Stupid fuck

Bonster

Here's a thought:  rather than waste money on some poppycock scheme to align ourselves with Cicero for no valid reason, why don't we fix the damn signs which serve only to confuse during snow emergencies?   Every sign on my block still shows "6 inches."

And no, I do not want 13th and 14th to be one-way streets anyway.  That would seriously mess up my daily commute, and further increase the race track known as "my alley" as folks try to avoid the school traffic.  I remember Bob himself reminiscing about a time when even the side streets all had two-way traffic.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Sandy

Only if they remove that cul-de-sac at 16th & Wenonah.  ;)
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Thor

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 05, 2009, 11:07:41 PM
Quote from: Bear on June 05, 2009, 10:25:23 PM

please tell us.

So that Dominick may expand his influence here in Berwyn. 
And what Mr. Dominick wants May-Lo must provide.
Here we go, the little paybacks our glorious new mayor must provide for Mr. Dominick's support. Get used to it folks!!! Maybe we can rename Morton West to the Betty Loren Maltese High School in honor of one of Cicero's greatest leaders.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Why after how many years of the streets being absolutely fine the way they are do we have Skyrd wanting to change things?  Have the alderman whose wards are being affected had anything to say about it?  Was there even a reason given for the necessity of change?  Aside from the powers that be to the east want it.

Nazerac

Quote from: bonster on June 06, 2009, 03:25:15 PM
Here's a thought:  rather than waste money on some poppycock scheme to align ourselves with Cicero for no valid reason, why don't we fix the damn signs which serve only to confuse during snow emergencies?   Every sign on my block still shows "6 inches."

And no, I do not want 13th and 14th to be one-way streets anyway.  That would seriously mess up my daily commute, and further increase the race track known as "my alley" as folks try to avoid the school traffic.  I remember Bob himself reminiscing about a time when even the side streets all had two-way traffic.

+1 about better street signs.

Terri

Did the city have a Deputy Police Chief at one time?  The packet says this is a newly created position, should we assume other officers move up the ranks if the position is approved?      

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Terri on June 08, 2009, 04:19:59 PM
Did the city have a Deputy Police Chief at one time?  The packet says this is a newly created position, should we assume other officers move up the ranks if the position is approved?      

Wasn't it done away with by Chief Dobbs?  And not re-instated by Chief Kushner? 

If the two lead law enforcement officers didn't ask for it, why is it being put back into the department?

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 08, 2009, 05:22:51 PM
Quote from: Terri on June 08, 2009, 04:19:59 PM

Wasn't it done away with by Chief Dobbs?  And not re-instated by Chief Kushner? 

If the two lead law enforcement officers didn't ask for it, why is it being put back into the department?

Was Volanti technically the Deputy Chief of Police when Marzullo was given the title (and salary increase) for being "Director of Public Safety"?  Or was Volanti promoted to the title of Chief of Police?

Shelley

I have a few questions:

Was Joe Drury a political supporter/contributer/worker for Bob Lovero? 

Is the request for creating a new police department position from the Chief of Police or from the mayor?  Has the Chief of Police been consulted on the need?  Are there 2 requests (one to create the position and one to give the job to Joe Drury or will the job be posted and applicants taken)?

What is the salary for the position?  Will another officer be hired to "replace" Joe Drury if he is given the Deputy Chief job?   

Terri

Quote from: Shelley on June 08, 2009, 09:07:11 PM
I have a few questions:

Was Joe Drury a political supporter/contributer/worker for Bob Lovero? 

Is the request for creating a new police department position from the Chief of Police or from the mayor?  Has the Chief of Police been consulted on the need?  Are there 2 requests (one to create the position and one to give the job to Joe Drury or will the job be posted and applicants taken)?

What is the salary for the position?  Will another officer be hired to "replace" Joe Drury if he is given the Deputy Chief job?   

If I am thinking of the same person, yes he worked with the Bob Lovero this election. However, didn't he support the IVB in the 2005 election? 

The request in the packet is from the Mayor and not Chief Kushner so it appears the Deputy Police Chief is an appointed position.   

Terri

Here are my notes from last evenings City Council meeting.

In open forum a 3rd ward resident voiced concerns about the position of Deputy Chief. What is the benefit, will BPD loose a patrol officer and thought the hiring freeze was still in place.  She also urged Alderman to vote no to the laptop request and questioned the City Adm. Position of $90,000 then asked if the Mayor will remain full time or part time. The Mayor said the Deputy Chief's rank and salary will remain the same. The Mayor said he spoke with Chief Kushner about "physiological changes" in the department, his were different than the past administration. A 1st ward resident was upset about the condition of the homes on Wesley owned by MacNeal.  

New building director Charles Lazzara appointed.  TIF funds were approved. Alderman Paul and Avila voted nay for the additional $70,000 request on 3306 Grove due to excessive changes.  

Alderman Skyrd wants to open SD 98 and 100 playgrounds, Alderman Avila asked that Morton West be added. Aren't school grounds locked due to insurance issues?  

The position of Deputy Police Chief was approved and Lieutenant Drury was appointed.  Alderman Skyrd motioned by saying "it will be my honor" to approve Lieutenant Drury as Deputy Police Chief.  A job description request for the position was sent to the city attorney.  Alderman Paul questioned the language in the police code and said she wishes the request for the Deputy Chief would have come from Chief Kushner and is afraid this will cause friction in the department.  The Mayor said he will pass her thoughts along to the Law Department.  Alderman Paul voted nay.  

Nazerac

Nothing about aligning our streets with Cicero's?