Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

6/9/09 Council

Started by OakParkSpartan, June 05, 2009, 06:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: JSlaught on June 10, 2009, 03:56:43 PM
Quote from: MOMAS2 on June 10, 2009, 11:48:12 AM
The answer to the Joe Drury appointment is clear.  You all think you are so smart.  He is Bobby's choice for police chief.  Mr. Drury will make Kushner's life there difficult and he will soon retire.  That will then set the stage for the promotion of Mr. Drury to chief of police.  It also gives maylo a reason to not solicit qualified applicants when the time comes.

You really are clueless aren't you.

Just like everyone was as to who the new Building Director was. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

JSlaught

Maybe before anyone is hired it should be put in front of BTF first. After all that is the way it was done in the past right?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: JSlaught on June 10, 2009, 04:09:51 PM
Maybe before anyone is hired it should be put in front of BTF first. After all that is the way it was done in the past right?

Why?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

JSlaught

Because then you won't be so clueless.

MOMAS2

Why am I so clueless asshole?

JSlaught

Why am I an asshole clueless?

tgoddess

Wow.

I sure am glad that after taking a break from the board, I've come back to find a much higher class of poster here.

KUDOS!  You make me so proud to live here.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

RevDEO

The Mayor said the Deputy Chief's rank and salary will remain the same. The Mayor said he spoke with Chief Kushner about "physiological changes" in the department, his were different than the past administration.

I think the Mayor mentioned "philosophical changes."

Nazerac

Quote from: RevDEO on June 11, 2009, 10:21:31 AM
The Mayor said the Deputy Chief's rank and salary will remain the same. The Mayor said he spoke with Chief Kushner about "physiological changes" in the department, his were different than the past administration.

I think the Mayor mentioned "philosophical changes."

Oh, that makes sense.  I thought that the physiological changes were that the cops were getting in shape from running after all of the thugs moving in to Berwyn.

Bonster

^^ LMFAO!!!!!

Maybe what May-Lo really said/meant "psychological" changes, since the morale is supposedly so low "from what he's heard."

"from what he's heard"...  From whom?  Two or three guys looking for a promotion?

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Thor

Mayor, council add to police administration
By Danya Hooker, dhooker@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Tue Jun 16, 2009, 12:42 PM CDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Berwyn, IL -
A Berwyn police lieutenant with more than 30 years on the force has taken over as the city's first deputy police chief.
The council approved the creation of the position, effective immediately, by a 7-1 vote during its June 9 meeting. Moments later, the council approved, by the same margin, the appointment of Lt. Joseph Drury to fill the position.
Police Chief William Kushner said Drury had been with the city for more than 30 years but could not immediately discuss what duties Drury would fill within the department.Alderman Marge Paul, 3rd Ward, cast the lone no votes against both creating the position and promoting Drury.
"I would've preferred if this communication had come from the chief himself," Paul said. "I'm very concerned this is going to cause questions concerning command and control."
Mayor Robert Lovero, who introduced both proposals, said Drury would remain at his current salary. Additional promotions will not immediately be carried out nor will an additional officer be hired, Lovero said.
Drury will be second-in-command under Kushner.
Lovero was on vacation and unavailable for comment early this week, but focused much of his mayoral campaign on a promise to crack down on crime. City Clerk Tom Pavlik, who ran as part of Lovero's Democratic Citizens of Berwyn slate, said Drury's appointment is a step in fulfilling that promise.
"He's there to carry out and enforce those philosophical changes that (Lovero) wants to install," Pavlik said. "He wants to take the police department in a new direction to be tough on crime and gangs, and he's got Joe in there to get it done."
Kushner is in his third year as chief with the Berwyn Police Department. He was hired in January 2006 by the City Council led by former mayor Michael O'Connor.

No confusion here, Kushner could not discuss what duties this patronage hire would have BUT whatever they are City Clerk Webo Pavlik knows his duties will include being tough on crime. Thank God we have one Alderman who can at least speak up against this nonsense. Another disappointment is Santoy, where is his voice? I thought him being neither a DEM or IVB he would be a little more independent and speak up, oh well.

Stop your whining and think the way I do

Bonster

"He's there to carry out and enforce those philosophical changes that (Lovero) wants to install," Pavlik said. "He wants to take the police department in a new direction to be tough on crime and gangs, and he's got Joe in there to get it done."

Does anyone know exactly when Kushner's getting the boot?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: bonster on June 19, 2009, 06:44:07 PM

Does anyone know exactly when Kushner's getting the boot?

Obviously, quite soon when you look at this new appointment.  Geez, why else would they have a reason to create a new position that falls directly underneath Chief Kushner.  I hope Kushner hangs on with his toenails and makes life especially miserable for all who would seek to displace him.  He seems to be an especially smart man to me.

n01_important

If he was smart, he would jump this sinking ship.   ;D

On the serious side, the only reason I can see for such a position is to have a tattle-tale in the police administration that tells everything to Lovero. 

<Drury, the lacky> "Mr. Mayor, I just called to tell you that Chief Kushner wants us to work today!  Can I hire a full time lacky and still keep my salary like you did... this 'work' sounds too much like work.".
Stupid fuck

Bear

Quote from: n01_important on June 19, 2009, 09:44:38 PM

On the serious side, the only reason I can see for such a position is to have a tattle-tale in the police administration that tells everything to Lovero. 

<Drury, the lacky> "Mr. Mayor, I just called to tell you that Chief Kushner wants us to work today!  Can I hire a full time lacky and still keep my salary like you did... this 'work' sounds too much like work.".

You are truly a clueless jag bag
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

n01_important

Quote from: Bear on June 19, 2009, 10:21:50 PM
You are truly a clueless jag bag

I would consider a jag bag an improvement in my social status.
Stupid fuck

George Lambesis

Obviously you do not know Joe Drury.  He is well qualified for the job to which he was appointed: 30 years as a Berwyn police officer, master's degree in public administration (from a real university!), several years as a training officer, street supervisor and division commander, and he is well respected by both the rank and file personnel and the brass, etc, etc.  Also, if you know Joseph Drury, you know that he is NOBODY'S lackey and that he has a work ethic that is both outstanding and infectious. 

Bonster

Quote from: George Lambesis on June 19, 2009, 11:01:22 PM

Obviously you do not know Joe Drury.  He is well qualified for the job to which he was appointed: 30 years as a Berwyn police officer, master's degree in public administration (from a real university!), several years as a training officer, street supervisor and division commander, and he is well respected by both the rank and file personnel and the brass, etc, etc.  Also, if you know Joseph Drury, you know that he is NOBODY'S lackey and that he has a work ethic that is both outstanding and infectious. 

We already knew that about Joe Drury, now can you tell us about this position?

n01_important

You are correct, I don't know Joe. 

In fact, until today, never heard of the man.  My comment was more of a joke on the Mayor's "little bird" comment at one of the debates and the him getting paid a full time salary while hiring an administrator to do his job.  Don't get emotional about it, I was being silly.  :P

Now, all kidding aside, two questions come to mind. 

First question, if Mr. Drury so qualified, why isn't he chief? 

Second question, his purpose/job-description seems confusing.

That job description sounds like that of a Police Chief.  So, what is he going to exactly do that is different from what Chief K. is doing?  What "philosophical changes" are needed?

He wants a "new direction to be tough on crime and gangs"?  That says the mayor believes current chief isn't doing his job and choosing to be "soft on crime"... that is not what I've seen about the police department. 

Maybe I'm wrong... I often am.

So please, 'susplain what is upcoming Chief Drury going to do different?
Stupid fuck

George Lambesis

Quote from: n01_important on June 20, 2009, 01:30:55 AM

You are correct, I don't know Joe. 

In fact, until today, never heard of the man.  My comment was more of a joke on the Mayor's "little bird" comment at one of the debates and the him getting paid a full time salary while hiring an administrator to do his job.  Don't get emotional about it, I was being silly.  :P

Now, all kidding aside, two questions come to mind. 

First question, if Mr. Drury so qualified, why isn't he chief? 

Second question, his purpose/job-description seems confusing.

“He’s there to carry out and enforce those philosophical changes that (Lovero) wants to install,” Pavlik said. “He wants to take the police department in a new direction to be tough on crime and gangs, and he’s got Joe in there to get it done.”

That job description sounds like that of a Police Chief.  So, what is he going to exactly do that is different from what Chief K. is doing?  What "philosophical changes" are needed?

He wants a "new direction to be tough on crime and gangs"?  That says the mayor believes current chief isn't doing his job and choosing to be "soft on crime"... that is not what I've seen about the police department. 

Maybe I'm wrong... I often am.

So please, 'susplain what is upcoming Chief Drury going to do different?

Let me first say that I am not a spokesman for the City of Berwyn.  However, I do believe that the philosophical changes have more to do with the structure of the department, rather than the job that Chief K. is doing.  Running the day to day operation of the PD and trying to rid the city of the cancer that we call gangs is an enormous task for one man.  For a department the size of Berwyn's, with over 100 sworn officers, having a deputy chief might take some of the load off of the chief's plate.  Berwyn PD has had deputy chiefs in the past, then they didn't, now they do.  Same for the FD.  Same with the grade school districts and asst. superintendents.