News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

6/23/09 city council

Started by MOMAS2, June 26, 2009, 09:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOMAS2

Which two council members were not there?  Did anyone witness it?

OakParkSpartan

Chapman and Polanchek were missing.  Both were stated to be on vacation.

The DCOB publicist is the only one who may set up his cameras on the platform to record the meeting.  He may get a contract, per the city clerk.  Why am I mentioning this?  Because they turned the chairs around so the council members backs are towards the audience.

They hired an assistant for Pabst.  No duties discussed, no salary discussed, nothing about what line item this would be paid from.

They didn't waive the hiring freeze which came up each and every time OC wanted to hire someone.

Lots of stop signs and parking signs. 

It was all over in 35 minutes.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Neither here nor there, but Orland Parks city Council's chairs
also face the Mayor and not the audience.
We still have Berwyn beat, meetings never more then 25 minutes, and that's
considered long!

MOMAS2

Brian,

Thank you.  They turned the chairs back around?  Very interesting.  Teddy wasn't there?  Was he on vacation or sleeping at the Cicero Firehouse?  His third council meeting and he already missed one.  Does anyone know if he is responding to the residents?

Bear

That was a cheap stunt by OC turning the chairs around.
They are there to conduct city business, not to entertain
the audience.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Thor

Quote from: Bear on June 26, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
the audience.
So why can't city business be conducted with the chairs facing the residents? Its not like the audience can interrupt, well other than roll their eyes and act like silly school girls.
You really are a fool!
Stop your whining and think the way I do

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on June 26, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
the audience.

Facing the people you are elected to represent is a cheap stunt?  I think it lets them look the voters in the eye when they say something.

Maybe we can just record the meetings and draw little southpark characters to represent them.  
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

java

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 26, 2009, 12:17:46 PM
Maybe we can just record the meetings and draw little southpark characters to represent them.  

http://www.southparkstudios.com/fans/avatar/

The City of Homers

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 26, 2009, 10:11:30 AM

Because they turned the chairs around so the council members backs are towards the audience.

It appears the new Mayor dictates that Council turn their backs on the residents of Berwyn -- literally and figuratively. I think it ridiculous and unprofessional.  Did the Alderpersons have any say in this ignorant seating arrangment?
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Ted

The Oak Park Board of Trustees face the audience in their meetings. The Village Preisdent sits at the same table as the board of trustees.  

The setup is similar to District201 and D100 and D98 board meetings, where the board members and administrators are seated in a wide-U shape set of tables facing the audience.

I think the biggest problem for the Berwyn City Council meetings is the Mayor's throne.

if you got rid of the Mayor's throne and moved the aldermen desks along the north wall with the mayor seated in the middle, you could have the aldermen face the audience and still be able to conduct business.

Ted

The Jackal

It has nothing to do with turning council's back on the city and everything to do with Lovero's petty one upmanship.

Of course City Council should face their taxpaying constituents.

Unless of course we're talking about Berwyn.

~LL~

Quote from: Ted on June 26, 2009, 12:41:17 PM

I think the biggest problem for the Berwyn City Council meetings is the Mayor's throne.

if you got rid of the Mayor's throne and moved the aldermen desks along the north wall with the mayor seated in the middle, you could have the aldermen face the audience and still be able to conduct business.

Ted

Agree.  Everyone knows the Mayor is in charge.  No real need to 'elevate' the Mayor physically for public meetings.  Brookfield's President and Board all face the audience and their meetings are very professionally conducted.  And, does this mean that when a resident is permitted to address Council the Alderpersons will continue to have to face the Mayor or will they be allowed to swivel?  Either way--how silly is that?
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

OakParkSpartan

Bonster

Quote from: LL--Schmidt on June 26, 2009, 12:34:01 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 26, 2009, 10:11:30 AM

Because they turned the chairs around so the council members backs are towards the audience.

It appears the new Mayor dictates that Council turn their backs on the residents of Berwyn -- literally and figuratively. I think it ridiculous and unprofessional. 

I agree. 

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

JSlaught

Once again the genius thing...

Bonster

Quote from: JSlaught on June 26, 2009, 05:58:53 PM
Once again the genius thing...

Once again nothing to offer...

buzz

I don't care if they cling from ceiling fans as long as they end their
bickering and get something constructive done.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Quote from: buzz on June 26, 2009, 10:45:30 PM
I don't care if they cling from ceiling fans as long as they end their
bickering and get something constructive done.

"Sieg Heil!"

Berwyn Patsy

Buzz says _"_I don't care if they cling from ceiling fans as long as they
end their bickering and get something constructive done."
Ah now your talking, ya old buzzard! LOL. 
That's the way city hall should work.  It is fair to say, just give the
new administration some time.
What does one want from their city?  Reasonable taxes, good schools,
clean streets, fast snow removal, low crime and good neighbors. growth and development.
If these things fall into place, who cares which way the cc chairs face?
The placement of the cc seating in the last administration, had
little or no effect on decision making. Although I do admit, when OC was first
elected, I thought the cc members should face the audience.  I have since
changed my mind.
If any thing the seating arrangement only  made for entertainment to the audience,
it was like watching a bad show!