6/23/09 city council

Started by MOMAS2, June 26, 2009, 09:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

Exactly which aldermen were sitting with their backs to former Mayor O'Connor in the old seating arrangement?

Seems to me that the mayors THRONE is what needed repositioning, not the aldermen's seats.

JSlaught

Weren't all the alderppls back to him?

The Jackal

In an arc configuration?

All that needed to be done was having the THRONE repositioned between #4 and #5.

Classof67

Quote from: The Jackal on July 02, 2009, 08:54:52 AM
In an arc configuration?All that needed to be done was having the THRONE repositioned between #4 and #5.

Excellent solution!  Is it doable?

cozynite

So... did anything governmental actually happen at the council meeting?  Or was the chairs the whole meeting?
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: cozynite on July 02, 2009, 01:54:38 PM
So... did anything governmental actually happen at the council meeting?  Or was the chairs the whole meeting?

Not really.  They approved a position without a job description to help out the other person without a job description.  And I think they gave another $16k to that beef place in the depot where it doesn't look like any work is being done (the place with the broken window).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Classof67

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 02, 2009, 03:25:35 PM
Quote from: cozynite on July 02, 2009, 01:54:38 PM

Not really.  They approved a position without a job description to help out the other person without a job description.  And I think they gave another $16k to that beef place in the depot where it doesn't look like any work is being done (the place with the broken window).
I can't understand the situation with the beef joint (Brando's) and maybe someone in the know can clue me in.  $16,000 on top of how much they've already been given and it's been at least 1 year since they started work.  How long does it take to turn a store front into a business?  If it was private loan from a bank I could care less but this is TIF money.  What exactly are they doing and why is it taking so long?

Bonster

Quote from: Classof67 on July 02, 2009, 01:11:09 PM
In an arc configuration?All that needed to be done was having the THRONE repositioned between #4 and #5.

Excellent solution!  Is it doable?

Depends... Would you want

a) fine craftsmanship;
b) union carpenters; or
c) function over form?

If c), there's a lot of $5/hr help sitting over by Home Depot everyday ready and willing to do it.  Screw the permits.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ted

In an arc configuration?

All that needed to be done was having the THRONE repositioned between #4 and #5.

You may not even need to get rid of the throne.  You may be able to just move the aldermanic tables northward about 5 feet so that they are aligned with the table that the city clerk used to sit at.

The mayor can then sit at that table with the aldermen, all facing the audience and move the city clerk's table that is currently along the west wall about 5 feet southward.

So, you may be able to do something simple without getting rid of the throne. The question is whether the mayor would be willing to sit at the center table rather than on the throne.

Ted

@Jman - I am willing to engage in substantive debate. Just remember, you're the one who threw out the "spinning" statement, not me.  Interesting that you are now saying that your "spinning" statement is an "allegation". Very lawyer like....  :D ;D :D

Joe Keating

I was speaking in a general sense.

Next topic . . .

Ted

Quote from: jman on July 03, 2009, 09:01:01 AM
I was speaking in a general sense.  . . .

Really??  I dunno, Jman. Ya sounded pretty specific to me... <LOL>

Classof67

Quote from: Ted on July 01, 2009, 12:25:12 PM
Quote from: jman on July 01, 2009, 06:45:16 AM
Ted,

Sorry, but spin you did, the term "supposed to" creates a sense of obligation that the phrase "makes sense" doesn't. Subtle, but spin just the same. ... 

Sorry, but spin I didn't.

First off, the term "spin" has the implication that I was attempting to mislead or deceive.  That is not the case. I was not trying to mislead or deceive anyone.

In any case, it is not spinning because I had no intent to mislead or misrepresent or deceive with that statement. It was merely a statement in response to your "supposition"

Ted

I have to agree with Ted.  To me, Ted is stating his point of view on a subject just like everyone else.  Do semantics come into play in these discussions?  You decide.

SPIN DEFINED
(TED DOES DO THIS) "In public relations, spin is providing an interpretation of an event or campaign to persuade public opinion in favor or against a certain organization or public figure. While traditional public relations may also rely on creative presentation of the facts,
(TED DOES NOT DO THIS) "spin" often, though not always, implies disingenuous, deceptive and/or highly manipulative tactics."
Source:  WIkipedia

Class~

Joe Keating

Quote from: Ted on July 04, 2009, 06:38:12 AM
Quote from: jman on July 03, 2009, 09:01:01 AM
I was speaking in a general sense.  . . .

Really??  I dunno, Jman. Ya sounded pretty specific to me... <LOL>

Perhap you just missed the "s" (plural) at the end of the word "allegation". It happens. My allegation of spinning (by the way, I don't disagree with Classof67) was singular. As I said before, it's the difference between accurately reporting (or re-stating) facts and commenting on them (i.e. providing an interpretation of an event or campaign to persuade public opinion).

Happy 4th.

Joe

Classof67

Berwyn Patsy

Classof67

Happy 6th, Patsy...Sorry I missed your 4th  ;D

BRoWN

Quote from: Classof67 on July 06, 2009, 09:24:55 AM
Happy 6th, Patsy...Sorry I missed your 4th  ;D
Everyone is off anyway. The Continental Congress actually voted for Independence on July 2nd, 1776.

n01_important

Quote from: Thor on June 26, 2009, 12:16:26 PM
Quote from: Bear on June 26, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
That was a cheap stunt by OC turning the chairs around.
They are there to conduct city business, not to entertain
the audience.
So why can't city business be conducted with the chairs facing the residents? Its not like the audience can interrupt, well other than roll their eyes and act like silly school girls.
You really are a fool!

Sound like they are regressing to the pre-Vatican ways.  Next we will have knee and kiss their rings before addressing them.
Stupid fuck