Main Menu

6/23/09 city council

Started by MOMAS2, June 26, 2009, 09:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: JSlaught on June 27, 2009, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 27, 2009, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: JSlaught on June 27, 2009, 03:14:17 PM
For years ..as long as we have had a council chambers the aldermens chairs faced the Mayor.
One Mayor, OC, changed that for 4 years. Now that they have been put back there is an uproar. Why not the uproar for the previous 50 or so years. OC wanted to bring the people into the meeting...well we see how that worked out .

p.s. Bonster please forgive the misspelling....I am not one of the geniuses (Thank God).

Maybe because there are people that live here who are willing and not afraid to speak up and question the elected officials?

And you can only do this if the chairs face you?

You just don't get it.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

~LL~

Quote from: JSlaught on June 27, 2009, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 27, 2009, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: JSlaught on June 27, 2009, 03:14:17 PM
For years ..as long as we have had a council chambers the aldermens chairs faced the Mayor.
One Mayor, OC, changed that for 4 years. Now that they have been put back there is an uproar. Why not the uproar for the previous 50 or so years. OC wanted to bring the people into the meeting...well we see how that worked out .

p.s. Bonster please forgive the misspelling....I am not one of the geniuses (Thank God).

Maybe because there are people that live here who are willing and not afraid to speak up and question the elected officials?

And you can only do this if the chairs face you?

This 'backs to the audience/residents' also seems symbolic of actually wanting to move Berwyn backward, versus forward. The "That's the way we've always done it" mentality is not very forward thinking, is it?"
What other policies and silly customs from the previous (pre-Mayor OC) Administrations are going to be revived? 
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bear

What other policies and silly customs from the previous (pre-Mayor OC) Administrations are going to be revived?

Decent snow removal, the end of a terrible building and blight
department, and prompt tree maintenance.

And that is just for starters.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

"Decent snow removal, the end of a terrible building and blight
department, and prompt tree maintenance."

That doesn't make sense. 
There was NO blight enforcement pre-OC, and the building department was terrible before LeBeau. 

Try again.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on June 28, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Decent snow removal, the end of a terrible building and blight
department, and prompt tree maintenance.

And that is just for starters.

Snow removal and tree maintenance...both public works, both teamsters...naw, they'd NEVER do anything to sabotage the administration so that they could get someone in office that would roll over for them.

Is it true they hired back the guy that drove the truck under the viaduct causing thousands of dollars worth of damage?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

JSlaught

Oh but OPS I do get it.
Tell you what....next time you have a meeting with your boss or your wife or anybody in any conversation with you, turn your back to them....see how that works out for you.

Interesting that even #3 commented on how its an improvement to be able to see and hear with the seats the PROPER way.

Bonster

Wow, you act like this is the House of Representatives. 
In case you haven't noticed, they have microphones.

What's so interesting about what #3 says? 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MOMAS2

Quote from: JSlaught on June 29, 2009, 09:14:58 AM
Oh but OPS I do get it.
Tell you what....next time you have a meeting with your boss or your wife or anybody in any conversation with you, turn your back to them....see how that works out for you.

Interesting that even #3 commented on how its an improvement to be able to see and hear with the seats the PROPER way.
How correct you are about turning your back on your boss.  All eight aldermen and women answer to the taxpayers, not Mr. Lovero.  I for one do not wish to look at the back of Mr. Polashek's shiny bald head.

Thor

Quote from: JSlaught on June 29, 2009, 09:14:58 AM
Oh but OPS I do get it.

Have I missed something? I know I'm no genius but what is the reason for the change? Was there something fundamentally flawed with the Alderman facing the taxpayers? So far all I have heard is this was the way it was done before. If the only reason given is that they want to change everything that the previous administration did well that's childish!! How would they feel if the shoe was on the other foot and we all turned our backs on them?
Stop your whining and think the way I do

rbain

I think that's a great idea! Everyone turn your chair around before sitting down at the meeting, and thin you've got a room with two groups sitting back-to-back! I might actually GO to CC meeting just to see it!

-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Ted

Quote from: MOMAS2 on June 29, 2009, 09:56:58 AM
How correct you are about turning your back on your boss.  All eight aldermen and women answer to the taxpayers, not Mr. Lovero.

+1

Even JSlaught's initial comment is wrong - Lovero is NOT the "boss" of the aldermen.  The aldermen do NOT report to him.

But, beyond that, MOMAS is absolutely correct - the taxpayers are the boss, not Bob Lovero.

But, the idea that Lovero is the boss and the tax payers don't matter is typcial of the an arrogant attitude that permeates some of Lovero's supporters, especially the ones who don't even live in Berwyn.

Ted

Mr. Daniel Lumis

I cannot believe there is a debate about this. Turning the chairs around is hugely symbolic and serves to isolate the council and mayor from the citizens who elected them. It sends a clear message from the mayor that the city council is his property, not ours. Some seem to be of the opinion that we all dance to the mayor's tune, we all "work" for him and so does the city council. On the contrary, they should all be working for us. We don't elect mayors and city councils because we need local royalty to entertain us. We may not yet have anything real to chew on yet other than a few mystery hires, but by turning their backs on the citizens, I hear this from the new mayor: "What we do is none of your business." Imagine if you went to a concert and the choir or the orchestra performed with it's back to the audience...

The Jackal

Quote from: Ted on June 29, 2009, 12:29:11 PM
Quote from: MOMAS2 on June 29, 2009, 09:56:58 AM
How correct you are about turning your back on your boss.  All eight aldermen and women answer to the taxpayers, not Mr. Lovero.

+1

Even JSlaught's initial comment is wrong - Lovero is NOT the "boss" of the aldermen.  The aldermen do NOT report to him.

But, beyond that, MOMAS is absolutely correct - the taxpayers are the boss, not Bob Lovero.

But, the idea that Lovero is the boss and the tax payers don't matter is typcial of the an arrogant attitude that permeates some of Lovero's supporters, especially the ones who don't even live in Berwyn.

Ted

Sir,

You have it all wrong.

Lovero IS the BOSS.

MOMAS2

Who?  Alba Lovero?  Yeah, she's the boss of Bobby "no balls" Lovero.  HA HA!!!!

Thor

And she doesn't give him a very long umbilical cord either since she is aways within a few feet of him.
Now thats an understanding wife!

JSlaught

Umbilical cord?  Wife?  Geeenius!!!

Thor

Dude I have told you on more than one occasion that I am NOT a genius,,,, oh wait your being sarcastic.
Why don't you troll youtube like your dim-witted friend for something entertaining because at sarcasim you suck!!

JSlaught

So lets say the Mayor is not the boss, and all of them (the mayor and the aldermen) work for us. That means we are their bosses. Correct? Then I suppose we are also in charge of all the firemen and policemen because after all we pay their salaries. Lets not forget PW, Park Districts, and school districts. I think I'm starting to get this. So anytime any one of these government bodies has a meeting they should be talking to us, because after all we (I) am their boss. GOT IT!!!

p.s. MoMas when they threw you down on the ground in handcuffs didn't you tell them you're their BOSS

~LL~

Quote from: rbain on June 29, 2009, 11:57:09 AM
I think that's a great idea! Everyone turn your chair around before sitting down at the meeting, and thin you've got a room with two groups sitting back-to-back! I might actually GO to CC meeting just to see it!

-Rob

Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible to turn those coccyx-numbing wooden benches around in the Berwyn chambers.  Perhaps people could all remain standing after the Pledge of Allegiance, then turn to face the back of the room.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

MOMAS2

Quote from: JSlaught on June 29, 2009, 03:26:39 PM
So lets say the Mayor is not the boss, and all of them (the mayor and the aldermen) work for us. That means we are their bosses. Correct? Then I suppose we are also in charge of all the firemen and policemen because after all we pay their salaries. Lets not forget PW, Park Districts, and school districts. I think I'm starting to get this. So anytime any one of these government bodies has a meeting they should be talking to us, because after all we (I) am their boss. GOT IT!!!

p.s. MoMas when they threw you down on the ground in handcuffs didn't you tell them you're their BOSS
You don't have a clue who I am.  Actually, you don't have a clue about anything.