Tax Levy Hearing, December 28, 2009

Started by Terri, December 29, 2009, 12:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSlaught

Wow I go out of town for the holiday and come back to the proverbial shit hitting fan syndrome. Sounds like not only will I have 1 less Brando's pizza a month, I also may have my pick of a few good homes going on the market.

The sky is falling...the sky is falling...quick take cover they are all out to get us.

I can't believe sometimes what I read here.
We have OPS who seems to know too much about what happens in Bangkok.
Diona who is as we speak is packing.
Phelan who all of a sudden is everybodies representative.
Jackal who lives to cross examine an internet talk forum...get over yourself
n01_important, who is exactly that, first wants 25% now can't believe 15%
Cut and paste Ted who only reports only what he wants to hear.
Thor, well what can you say about this person other than nothing is good enough.
Moxnix who needs a few more years experience before she can be taken seriously.

Taxes in this town should have been raised long ago. We were overdue, if someone can't afford the pittance it is then by all means MOVE.  

Everyone here ASSUMES nothing else is being done to alleviate our problem. Listen to what is being said by City Council. Do you honestly believe they are not trying  and or looking at every avenue to balance the budget which includes all the things ppl here gripe about? There is an order in which things have to be done. You can't take away benefits until the next negotiation. Which, by the way is being done.

I feel that some of the posters I have mentioned are rather intelligent people, what I can't understand is the lack of common sense that is shown in some posts. It really shows how vindictive and spitefull some are when it comes to ANYTHING this administration does.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with watch dogging...but most assumptions are out of line.

Thor

Nice to have you back JSL.
Here is the problem, we don't have the inside track like you do. We can only comment on what we know at the moment. And at the moment mayor nimrod and his gang of lemmes voted to raise taxes 15%. BTW- we all thought it was 5% increase but I'm sure you knew ahead of time that they were switching it to 15% at the last minute.
At the moment we don't see our leaders doing a damn thing but screwing us. So go grab a pizza, sit down in your chair grab the remote and veg out knowing what you know. The rest of us will live in the here and now.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

OakParkSpartan

Vindictive and spiteful because we disagree with what city council is doing?  You DCOB people are always the first to start calling names while ducking the issue.

EVERYTHING prior to the actual vote was based upon a discussion of a 5% increase.  They were deceptive.  They're taking money out of people's pockets who are struggling.  They are NOT making decisions to protect the taxpayer, but rather to protect their campaign workers (the city unions).

It is sad they have pitted the employees versus the taxpayer.  I know who's side I come down on.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

The Jackal

It's ALWAYS been the city unions v. the taxpayer.

ALWAYS.

And it's always been the tail wagging the dog in Berwyn.

Ted

Quote from: JSlaught on December 30, 2009, 03:36:38 PM
....Cut and paste Ted who only reports only what he wants to hear....

Huh?? I did not cut/paste anything.  What are you claiming I cut or pasted and from where?  I wrote that entire post and did not cut/paste from anywhere.

Second, what are you claiming that I did not report on or that I did not hear?  I reported on and summarized the meeting and I thought it was a good summary.

What are you claiming I left out?

I'm tired of this crap.  Anyone who has attended a meeting and taken notes is not going to get everything said.  So, if you don't like it, post your own damn summary.

I did not purposely leave out ANYTHING.  Get a life.

Ted

The Jackal

Quote from: Thor on December 30, 2009, 03:54:49 PM
Nice to have you back JSL.
Here is the problem, we don't have the inside track like you do. We can only comment on what we know at the moment. And at the moment mayor nimrod and his gang of lemmes voted to raise taxes 15%. BTW- we all thought it was 5% increase but I'm sure you knew ahead of time that they were switching it to 15% at the last minute.
At the moment we don't see our leaders doing a damn thing but screwing us. So go grab a pizza, sit down in your chair grab the remote and veg out knowing what you know. The rest of us will live in the here and now.

JSL doesn't have any inside track either.......there should be NO inside track, its the taxpayers money you're talking about.

Not only did Berwyn taxpayers get the old "bait and switch" (15% as opposed to 5%), they were also told don't worry about it, we'll tell you LATER what concessions the unions will make, under the guise of "confidentiality of city/union negotiations". Think about that for a moment......

My question is, why didn't the city unions take the bull by the horns and make whatever consessions needed to be made in a time appropriate manner so that the taxpayers could digest it....and THEN have the city tell the taxpayers we still need to raise taxes ABC amount for XYZ reason?

The Jackal

Wow I go out of town for the holiday and come back to the proverbial shit hitting fan syndrome. Sounds like not only will I have 1 less Brando's pizza a month, I also may have my pick of a few good homes going on the market.

The sky is falling...the sky is falling...quick take cover they are all out to get us.

I can't believe sometimes what I read here.
We have OPS who seems to know too much about what happens in Bangkok.
Diona who is as we speak is packing.
Phelan who all of a sudden is everybodies representative.
Jackal who lives to cross examine an internet talk forum...get over yourself
Cut and paste Ted who only reports only what he wants to hear.
Thor, well what can you say about this person other than nothing is good enough.
Moxnix who needs a few more years experience before she can be taken seriously.

Taxes in this town should have been raised long ago. We were overdue, if someone can't afford the pittance it is then by all means MOVE.  

Everyone here ASSUMES nothing else is being done to alleviate our problem. Listen to what is being said by City Council. Do you honestly believe they are not trying  and or looking at every avenue to balance the budget which includes all the things ppl here gripe about? There is an order in which things have to be done. You can't take away benefits until the next negotiation. Which, by the way is being done.

I feel that some of the posters I have mentioned are rather intelligent people, what I can't understand is the lack of common sense that is shown in some posts. It really shows how vindictive and spitefull some are when it comes to ANYTHING this administration does.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with watch dogging...but most assumptions are out of line.

Now if this isn't a convincing argument, I don't know what is.......LOL!!!!!!

JSlaught

Unions, Unions, city workers again you ASSUME. You assume nothing is being done even when you are told things are changing. You are the one pitting employees against taxpayers. You are the one assuming what the negotiations will bring. You are the one that is crying foul at every turn.

The fact of the matter is our economy sucks and we need help from ALL not just the unions.
1st things 1st.

You cry foul at every turn. How can you tell the milk is spoiled if they haven't poured it yet.
You once again ASSUME that we the taxpayers will be the only ones bearing the load. NEWS FLASH if we are the only ones we cannot make it and we are all doomed.

JSlaught

Let me stand back now so Clarence Darrow can cross examine his computer screen..duh

Bonster

Quote from: Diona on December 30, 2009, 10:40:13 AM
So bye bye Berwyn for me & my husband, I don't feel like going down with the sinking ship.

Happy Birthday, Diona.

Happy Birthday, Berwyn Patsy.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: JSlaught on December 30, 2009, 04:33:36 PM
Unions, Unions, city workers again you ASSUME. You assume nothing is being done even when you are told things are changing. You are the one pitting employees against taxpayers. You are the one assuming what the negotiations will bring. You are the one that is crying foul at every turn.

The fact of the matter is our economy sucks and we need help from ALL not just the unions.
1st things 1st.

You cry foul at every turn. How can you tell the milk is spoiled if they haven't poured it yet.
You once again ASSUME that we the taxpayers will be the only ones bearing the load. NEWS FLASH if we are the only ones we cannot make it and we are all doomed.

Exactly how long will negotiations with the unions last and when will the taxpayers find out what, if any, concessions have been made.  Or, how about how many of the part-time alderman are taking health insurance?  If there are alderman who are not taking it why not say so?  One of the problems with trust is that our elected officials keep on making statements that progress is being made with absolutely no proof whatsoever.

moxnix

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on December 30, 2009, 04:42:59 PM

1st things 1st.

Exactly how long will negotiations with the unions last and when will the taxpayers find out what, if any, concessions have been made.  Or, how about how many of the part-time alderman are taking health insurance?  If there are alderman who are not taking it why not say so?  One of the problems with trust is that our elected officials keep on making statements that progress is being made with absolutely no proof whatsoever.

+1

I couldn't have asked it better myself, even if I had more experience...

JSlaught

We may not know the full details of the negotiation until May. All the Alderman get insurance and they have for a very long time. Yes even the coveted Mr. Weiner got insurance. They may not use it but they do get it according to CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS which, once again people, the contracts are up and are being negotiated.

Are we children who can't wait to open our presents? Because that is exactly what we sound like.  

Homebody

I turned down the health insurance benefit. I accepted the life insurance policy the City pays for while I am an Alderman. I also am paying a portion of my stipend into the pension fund. I think that the City matches that small amount. Not sure. Marge Paul

The Jackal

Quote from: Thor on December 30, 2009, 03:54:49 PM
And at the moment mayor nimrod and his gang of lemmes voted to raise taxes 15%. BTW- we all thought it was 5% increase but I'm sure you knew ahead of time that they were switching it to 15% at the last minute.

Who are the REAL LEMMES and NIMRODS here?

Lovero and his seven self serving muppets, or YOU (and your like) the taxpayer who let these con artists into office?

The real lemmes and nimrods are those who:

a) supported "candidates" like Frank Amaro (are u listening Mrs. N?), Jack Meshek, and Tony Castrogiovanni, thus helping pave the way to office for the DCOB and its candidates, and

b) those initial IVB city council members who did not jump ship yet did enough public damage to OC to help the only other viable mayoral candidate get into office, Winston Churchill divide and conquer style (are u listening Mr. Phelan and Mr. Erickson?), and

c) those IVB'ers who waffled and PUBLICLY railed against OC, even temporarily, (are u listening OPS?) thus allowing the Lovero movement to gain momentum, and

d) those non DCOB'ers who tried to sell the old "I'm not voting along party lines, I'm voting for the best INDIVIDUAL, even if they're DCOB" (Bonster, where are you?). That's nice.....hope you're enjoying the likes of Michelle Skryd and Nora Laureto (how many family members do these two have in city unions again?) now...now bend over even further....

The DCOB knew what it was doing all along.

Sit back, enjoy, and concede who the real lemmes are.

The Jackal

They have poured it...15% of it....the TAXPAYERS 15%.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on December 30, 2009, 04:54:35 PM
d) those non DCOB'ers who tried to sell the old "I'm not voting along party lines, I'm voting for the best INDIVIDUAL, even if they're DCOB" (Bonster, where are you?)

I'm right here.  I voted for no one; I saw no one fit to lead.

If you vote for the best individuals, say Korbos and Keating (IVB and DCOB), are you still voting along party lines? 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Homebody on December 30, 2009, 04:53:16 PM
I turned down the health insurance benefit. I accepted the life insurance policy the City pays for while I am an Alderman. I also am paying a portion of my stipend into the pension fund. I think that the City matches that small amount. Not sure. Marge Paul
So obviously the alderman can turn down the health insurance benefit like Alderman Paul did.  I wonder if there are any more who turned it down.  Even if only the newly elected alderman could do that let's see there would be 5 more?  And considering the fact that Alderman Skyrd's husband is also employed by the city I would assume one of them wouldn't have the need for health insurance coverage by the city.

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on December 30, 2009, 05:08:19 PM
I'm right here.  I voted for no one; I saw no one fit to lead.

Yes, that's the point.

Your NON vote (and one or two others like you) led to Laureto as alderman.

Enjoy.

QuoteIf you vote for the best individuals, say Korbos and Keating (IVB and DCOB), are you still voting along party lines? 

I was talking about City Council, not 201.

n01_important

Actually, I was the one who wanted a 5-10% reduction in taxes early in the year... then after almost a year of no one paying attention... realized the problem is with the public officials but the idiot's who vote them in... asked for a 25% to get rid of the idiot voters (there is an assumption in there... but won't bother getting into it.)

Now that I took my lithium... I spare everyone my extremist rants.   :P

It's not the 15% that I'm complaining about... it is how increase was done.

There can only be two reasons why 5% was published but 15% was voted on; they were either dishonest or incompetent.

• Dishonest (Jackal's theory)... they knew all along and did the "bait and switch".  Maybe they thought not many would care about the 5% and would sneak in the 15%?  Even the Life Newspaper got the increase wrong and published a story of 5% increase... and they are the PR arm of the DCOB!   ;)

• Incompetent... they had this shortfall all along... so why not ask for the 15%?  Maybe they had no idea how to make up the shortfall... 1 week before the end of the year!  Finally, out of desperation... or maybe the union negotiations didn't go well... or maybe some of the magic monopoly money from the State or grants didn't come through.. or maybe they just couldn't count all year?

So at best our alderman were incompetent and at worst, lying sacks of shit.

Also also seem to suffer from a rather myopic view... yes, many of us can easily afford a 25% increase in not just Berwyn City tax but in all our property taxes.  But many other can't.  And it might seem like a burger a month to some or just a "papercut"... once you add in increases from other taxing municipalities... Cook County, State and Federal (yes, someone has to pay for all those bailouts)... the Berwyn resident will die of a 10000 papercuts.

You also don't seem to know or care of the plight of those in the real world... many of our neighbors got laid off, the lucky ones got forced furloughs and had to pay for more benefits.  Some even got "salary haircuts".

Going back to the 15%... (and something OPS and other touched on)... yea, some of us will suck it up.  But what will we get in return?  More of the same?  There is nothing special about Berwyn and now it will cost more.  Who will want to move here?

Finally, I am sick of hearing, "there are on going union contract discussions"... just like we heard, "we will lobby for money at Springfield".  There is no reason why they couldn't finalize all union contract negotiations before year end. 

Stop peeing on my leg and try to convince me it is rain.
Stupid fuck