News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Summer Fun

Started by pkd50, June 08, 2005, 04:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkd50

Will we be having any kind of festival in Berwyn this summer?

Suedehead

I thought Berwyn used to have some sort of Italian fest every year- did that end or am i thinking of some other town?

pkd50

That's an annual event, by a private group.  A very nice event.   I meant any city sponsored event.

Suedehead

how about the Houby Parade, is that still around? we just moved here so i'm not too up to speed on these things; but i do like mushrooms!

markweiner

There will be a two day City event on the third and fourth of July.  July 4th parade at 7 pm.  Please come Berwynite and throw some tomatoes at me.

MarkWeiner1@Hotmail.com

pkd50

If you're a new comer here's a little tip.  Wear your drinking shoes to the Houby Parade.  It's the best and probably only good day to visit the taverns along the Road.  There's a little joint next to Miska's.  It's very ethnic.  I don't know what ethnicity, but it's a fun place with an unbelievable juke box  if you like foreign music.  There's also a  really old time Polish tavern just off the Road at the alley. (can't remember what street)  Then there's a scary place accross from the old Berwyn Theatre.  I think it's call Club 22.   Lots of tats and mullets.  I wouldn't go in there anytime except in broad daylight with thousand of people around. Don't forget Pat & Joe's.  It's a fun day just wandering in and out of these places, because once you've seen one drum and bugle corps you've seen them all.

pkd50

What happens on the 3rd?   Is the parade on the 4th from the Rec to Morton as usual, and then activities and fireworks? 

hvychev

Pkd why do you ask stupid friggin questions like this? You claim to have lived here your whole life. You know damn well what fests and events are in Berwyn. This is one of your weak ass attempts to play nice again. Stop kidding your self. People see right through your bullshit.

pkd50

What the heck are you taking about?   Things have changed.  Shaugnessey ended Summerfair and started the Family Fest.  It would be O'C perogative to make changes also.  I have said or done nothing wrong.  You are attacking me and I resent it.  I ask questions in a polite manner.  I expect a polite answer in return.  I don't want you swearing at me!  Jim he's out of line on this one.

hvychev

Take it easy pkd, I bet you talk to your mother worse then I just talked to you.

Screw politics and bringing it and O'C into every one of your posts.

Call jim all you want. I did not attack you personally and that is the rule. Now it is your guys turn.

P-PANTHER

Quote from: pkd50 on June 08, 2005, 05:20:08 PM
QuoteIf you're a new comer here's a little tip.  Wear your drinking shoes to the Houby Parade.  It's the best and probably only good day to visit the taverns along the Road.  There's a little joint next to Miska's.  It's very ethnic.  I don't know what ethnicity, but it's a fun place with an unbelievable juke box  if you like foreign music.

I believe the bar you're speaking of is Slovak.

QuoteThen there's a scary place accross from the old Berwyn Theatre.  I think it's call Club 22.

Where? The only thing across from the old Berwyn Theatre is Mc Donald's.

pkd50

I don't know you, so I don't know if you have a potential for violence.  Your anger frightens me, and I feel threatened by it.  For that reason, I'm asking you to please back off.  It's a polite request, so don't continue to intimidate me hoping that I'll go away.  .  Let's all relax. 

pkd50

You're right and I'm wrong...sorry.   It's accross from the old Olympic.  I think it's the Concordia now. 

hvychev

Give me a brake.......lol.......play your psychological games with someone else........

Quit bashing and insulting with your buddy then I will stop. If you don't, expect me in every single post from now till I get banned. I don't give a shit. This board was great before the two of you came along. Make your points like gentleman/women.

ruffian

I thought the City was abandoning the Houby Day Parade ... Houby Queen and all.  I remember the Berwyn Life running an editorial stating that since the makeup of the town had changed ... they would not continue with the Houby Parade theme.  I just shook my head in disgust on that one.  Yes, of course, let's throw away "all traditions" ...... cause things have changed.  I mean geez can't we have more than one parade a year to honor or please those that would like a different theme?  The excuse was that it was not well attended by Hispanics.  The depot district events were not well attended by Hispanics either, but it didn't stop them from putting it on.  I think the Houby Day Parade should be kept intact.  We are getting new people here all the time that have kids ...... and its a wonderful event for young and old alike.   Perhaps, someone could contact the Hispanic leadership in Berwyn and ask them to pump up the event.  Can't hurt.

The Italian Feast of Our Lady of Laurentana held I believe in September, is nice .... lots of Italian Food, and they do a procession carrying the Madonna (like they would do in Italy) ... Italian Band doing ethnic music in uniform, Italian sololists singing Italian favorites in more classical style and then some Rat Pack type singers.  If you have never been, it's nice.  Melrose Park also has one, but I think theirs is in July.

OakParkSpartan

Houby Day parade wasn't attended by an Irish guy on Kenilworth, but it's a free country, and just cuz a group chooses not to attend, why stop it for the people that do choose to participate.

Besides, where else can one celebrate Houby Day?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

hvychev

Yeah it was necessary. I am sure that the guy is tired of you busting his balls. We all are.......

hvychev

Naaah. I am just the guy that is going to bust YOUR chops now. How does it feel?

hvychev

From my Berwyn memorabilia collection.

Pamphlet on Berwyns Sunmmerfaire.

Ana

Wow, I'm impressed with the line up.  Berwyn was hip at one time afterall.  Do you think it could happen again?  When you mentioned Summerfaire, I thought you were talking about somewhere up in Wisconsin.     8)
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby