Long Island ... if you think we have probs in Berwyn, read this !

Started by ruffian, June 22, 2005, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Ruff, that is happening here, someone I know bought a home here from a guy who was running a flophouse the bedrooms were keyed
from the outside, the basement was set up with 2'x4' racks for mattresses. The guy was pulling in $7000
a month in rent...every 6 months or so neighbors would call about all the cars and he would get a wrist slap $500
fine, peanuts to pay when your pulling in 7k a month
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ana

That is what one of my neighbors was saying to me yesterday at the Zoning Board Hearing.  She said, "He can fit 20 mattresses in that little nook he plans to build on the second floor."   :D
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Paul Fuentes

You all obviously missed the real point of the article:

"Next to one of the beds was a lit religious candle under a picture of Jesus."

Another red voting Mexican as soon as I can make him a citizen!!!LOL ;D

T-Stan RPCV

Because if you truely believe in Jesus you must be a republican, it's God's will, Amen. (it was the small print at the bottom of the Ten Commandment Slabs) ::)

Paul Fuentes

I knew you wouldn't let that slip by for long Stan.  You set a new record in response time.  But on more serious note, I once did a closing for two Peruvian gentleman who purchased a single family in Berwyn near Euclid and 24th Street.  Approximately six months later, I was taken aback on a rticle in the Berwyn Life that described a raid by the Berwyn SS that similarly found approximately 24 mattresses rowed out n the basement.  As many as a dozen residents who  ran from the scene were "gathered and harvested" at the Mobile gas station on Riverside Drive and Cermak.

It can happen here.

One more note, often the most wretched exploiters of immigrants, are their own people.  I found later that the Peruvian immigrants paid between 150 to 200 dollars in rent for the mattress.  For the record, this is NOT the type of free entry into a capitalist system I support or condone.

And for the record Bear:  The house I purchased, has so many small bedrooms (I purchased it listed as an 18 room house) was located only a block from your home, and each bedroom not only had keyed entry locks, but, as I started to gut it, found it had gas piped to each bedroom when I ripped one of those pipes.  On a more numerous note, I was told by my neighbor that my home was once a brothel during WWII. 

ruffian

I don't know if anyone noticed but in addition to the main article that had several related articles next to it ... reaction of neighbors ... reaction of the immigrants themselves.  To be honest ... I felt bad.  This is America ... this is not what we do with people.  It's like they are animals to be used and abused.  Yes, they are wrong to come if they are illegal, but that does not give someone else the right to treat them in that way.  I don't know ... sometimes all I can do is shake my head and say ... is money the only thing important to people.  Have they no human decency left ...  enough or I'll get in blue mood.