News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Berwyn GOP "Summer Social"

Started by piniped, July 06, 2005, 06:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffian

Aren't fundraisers usually mentioned in the Berwyn Life?  Don't you usually get a little postcard in the mail advising of a fundraiser whether you belong or don't belong to that party?  I would get them from Dems and Reps all the time.

pkd50

Paul told me the IVP uses the 'circle of contact' whatever that is.  I think of it as 'their following'.  I'm on the Dem & Rep mailing list.  The IVP "could have had me at hello",  but nobody bothered.  I think I'll go the Rep fund raiser, just to see who  they might be grooming, but maybe it's a little too soon for that.   Also, it will be nice to see Rick and Sandy Toman. 

piniped

Additional info regarding the Berwyn GOP "Summer Social"  The guest speaker will be State Senator, and possible candidate for Governor, Steve Rauschenberger.

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

sterling

What the RDO picnic this year?

On or off

markberwyn

I'm curious who the local GOP is thinking of running in 2008. Not $15 curious. But curious.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Paul Fuentes

The local GOP will not run anybody in 2008.  They can only decide which of the candidates,who make individual decisions to run for offices up for election that year( i.e. president, congress, delegates..etc), they will support in the primary.  Not even the RNC (Republican National Committee) decides the candidates in the primary.  However, who will run does not remain secret for long.  All you have to do is to watch for elected officials start to hold fundraisers, make appearances at events outside they're current district boundaries, and hold press conferences addressing key issues at an accelarated pace.

Given Sen. John McCain's (R-Az) recent posturing in forming the "magnificent 7", he seems to be a very likely candidate.   

markberwyn

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was curious who the local GOP was going to run for mayor of Berwyn.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

Well, I figure that this social might include an announcement of some sort, so I'll wait until that's over. I mean, if the GOP wants to have a legitimate chance at winning the mayoral campaign  -- or heck, even getting five percent of the vote -- I think it ought to be campaigning ASAP.

pkd50

OakParkSpartan

I'd wait.  No sense in helping people figure out what mistakes you might have made/said in the 3 years preceding the election.

CHeers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

btw, pkd, how much do you post??  442 is up there.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

pkd50

Is that too much?   Are you suggesting that I talk too much?   Okay......my lips are seeled!  Thanks for pointing that out.   good bye

Berwyn Patsy

The July 8th issue of the Gazette has a ad on page 13 for the 7/11 summer social.

Paul Fuentes

Oh, you mean that cutting-edge beacon of news reporting that failed to mention anything about the two Tribune articles about Berwyn published earlier in the week? 

markberwyn

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on July 09, 2005, 03:45:07 PM
Oh, you mean that cutting-edge beacon of news reporting that failed to mention anything about the two Tribune articles about Berwyn published earlier in the week? 

Or report on it itself. But the latest edition of "Around the Coffee Table and Goofy Crap We Got Off the Internet" is still there, right as rain.

OakParkSpartan

I sure hope that free thing that I use to light charcoal isn't keeping the Wednesday Journal from coming to town.

They called to ask if I wanted to advertise my apartment for rent in there...I said "No Thanks".  Just can't support them after the election.

Cheers,
Brian

markberwyn

Quote from: Berwynite on July 09, 2005, 05:16:05 PM
The Life didn't report on the articles from The Sun-Times/Trib in their weekend edition either (At least not that I recall seeing).  Why don't you pounce on The Life, too?  Or is it simply because The Gazette was behind the BRDO and Castrogiovanni that you choose to pound only that specific publication?

The Life will have something on the story eventually. The Gazette never will.

T-Stan RPCV

I started following Berwyn politics about a month before the election.  Prior to that I thought the Gazette was a good old fassion community newspaper.  Silly me.

I lost all respect when I noticed that they blatently favored one party to the extent that endorsements and attacks on opponents appeared on the front page as "news" not editorials.  Funny thing is, that is what drove me to the internet and subsequently these message boards.  In a round about way, the Gazette is responsible for my against the BRDO.

Don't get me wrong, the Independent wasnt any better, but at least it was honest about being a being a political propaganda paper so you knew what you were getting.  I have since stopped following the Gazette and do not read any advertisements posted in it. 

Paul Fuentes

Berwynite,

The answer to your first question is I don't read the life.  I wouldn't pay $1.00 for a newspaper as I cannot justify that price with all the ads they carry, ESPECIALLY, as you pointed out...they cannot be relied upon for news content.  Newspapers are fairly cheap to print, hence the free Gazzette and Independent.

The answer to you second question is a resounding YES. You are PRECISELY right.  I'll even grant you a further concession that many of the so called "pulitzer" papers (i.e. New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe) also present news, and omit news, in a manner that is meant to influence readers and support a political agenda.

Your question "Or is it simply because The Gazette was behind the BRDO and Castrogiovanni that you choose to pound only that specific publication?" speaks volumes.  You and I agree obviously  agree it is a BRDO generated piece of propaganda and Castrogiovanni is a RINO (Republican In Name Only) and ran as a shill candidate to draw votes from the indepedents.  Thus the difference in our views on the Gazette amounts to this.  I have a problem with a publication holding itself out to the citizens of Berwyn as a legitimate source of news while being an illegitimate source of propaganda, up to and including this day.  At least with the Independent, it was never hidden who published or whose interest it supported.

As an aside, (and this is not directed to you Berwynite) a first and obvious salvo has been thrown to some whom I am sure read these posts as guests or read and post under pseudonyms.  You know who you are.  And if you eventually find the intestinal fortitude or enhance your "virility" enough to post your real names and defend your performance, I'll be here.