News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

The Silence Is Deafening.

Started by Paul Fuentes, July 07, 2005, 10:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Fuentes

From the early hours of this morning to the time of this posting, I waited.  I read some of the posts, and waited some more.  Nothing.  Not a peep.  Only the sound of silence, that as the day went on on, grew in decibels until it it somehow managed to overcome and drown out the banter of my in 3 year old twins.  Not an easy task, in fact a formidable one.  But as I sit here at this hour, I realize the game is over.  The fat lady did not sing today.

Earlier in the day, jqpublic and Pkd50 posted about thabking God for both small and big favors.  We all should do likewise.  Everyday that affords us the "playtime" to take the pulpit afforded by this board and exercise our rights of free speech is a fantastic day.  For it means that we and our loved one are alive and doing well, and our rights of free speech remain intact.  For that, we should thank God.  Everyday.

Across the atlantic, many in London are likely not thanking God today.  Many are not going home to their loved ones.  Even for those who survive, or suffered no personal losses, their lives will never be the same again.  And this is so, only because of acts of individuals who are inherently evil, as evil is the only word that can define and describe those who kill the innocent is such a cowardly manner.

As most of you where I stand with respect to terrorists, I waited to hear a contrarian viewpoint, an alternative explanation, a proposed solution.  I waited to hear from some of our public leaders who so very recently seemed to want to evicerate our military.  But I heard nothing, here nor there, there was silence everywhere.  A silence so loud, that I imagine the only silence louder is that perpetual silence of voices in London that only yesterday were heard.

I'll continue to wait. 

pkd50

I'm silent when I pray.  It's been a day of prayer for many.   The 8 o'clock Mass at St. Leonard's seemed to have more than the usual faithful. 

Berwyn Patsy

Paul you made me feel guilty.  I did reflect a lot today on the horrific act of the terriosts I did say a silent prayer for all lost and left behind. I also wait in the silence that is deafening praying that terror will not strike here. Thanks for the reminder.

T-Stan RPCV

Paul,

I think the silence was for personal reflection, prayer, mourning or otherwise.  It has been approximately 14 hours since we woke and heard of the attacks.  For now the silence is needed.

After reflection I would expect investigation and appropriate retaliation.  However, vocal screams for action at this time may be inappropriate. At least give it a day or two to reflect and time to gather some information so that what ever form the retaliation takes it can be swift, effective and appropriately target those responsible.  As you've said before "vengence is a dish best served cold".

ruffian

Why can't we just admit the obvious.  These people can get to any of us all day long.  At some point down the line, they will pull a shot that will be on a very grand scale.

O'Reilly asked a very good question today regarding this bombing.  He asked why would they bomb London when they were getting a lot of support from Europeans ... meaning that the focus has been on US as being the bad guy .. why do something like this that could possibly turn the tide.

Good question.  I don't have an answer as to why they might find this bombing to their benefit.  If they want troops out of Iraq and Afganistan ... they certainly blew any support for withdrawal with this latest stunt.

Paul Fuentes

The answer is simple:

1.  England is our mother country and represents a beacon for freedom.

2.  They, along with Poland and Australia have supported us in Iraq.

3.  The target was obvious.  A system of transport where the opportunity to exit is limited.

Fortunately, in my view, Tony Blair remained resolute in his view that that the war we face is global.  Western Judeo-Christian valies vs, Fundemalist Islam.  Unlike Spain, whose blood in my veins I wish to extricate, Blair did not cave.  Yeah, follow Spain's path to nirvana.  Elect a leftist govt that pulls support from the fight against terrorists and become the first majority Catholic country to legislate gay marriage.  Nice left turns caused by those that wish us dead.  Spain is the prime example of what we should NOT do.   

Ana

I turned on the news this morning and saw what happened in London.  Thought of the people I know and prayed.  I remembered 9/11, going about my morning, thinking what a beautiful day and glancing at the TV, how could a plane crash into the tower?  Well, I'm sure it is just an accident, I need to prepare the kids for school and take myself to work.  Same feeling today, until it penetrated my thoughts over and over again, how fragile we truly are, how different my fears are today from 5 years ago, how naive and self-centered. 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

T-Stan RPCV

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on July 07, 2005, 11:55:55 PM
Elect a leftist govt that pulls support from the fight against terrorists and become the first majority Catholic country to legislate gay marriage.  

Paul - how does gay marriage fit into this topic?  Perhaps a discussion for another thread.

BlackDog

Regardless of how one feels about Spain's domestice policies, the fact is that their withdrawl from Iraq didn't work.  In October 2004, (after Spain's withdrawl) the Spanish police broke up a plot to bomb numerous targets inside Spain.  Terrorist don't keep their word.  See link from last night's Frontline for more details. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/front/map/es.html

Port Meadow

"Western Judeo-Christian valies vs, Fundemalist Islam"--isn't that exactly how the terrorists prefer everyone see it? It's not a black and white issue, despite what the terrorists and this administration want us to believe

This is about people contorting religion as a vehicle to deliver their end goals--revenge, domination--just like the Crusaders did in the Middle Ages