News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Pet proof screens ?

Started by buzz, June 22, 2009, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Cats shredded the screen on the deck door, 2 got out, both are back.
Has anyone used the "pet protector" vinyl coated replacement screen fabric ?  Looks stronger.  I can re-screen easily (done it before) but the new screening material is black.  So I would be replacing, not just 1, but many.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bungalocity

why not use good ol' aluminum?
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

buzz

Quote from: Bungalocity on June 22, 2009, 12:56:17 PM
why not use good ol' aluminum?
Cause' that's what was on there, and I was hoping to fing something with a heavier gauge.  Pet proof stuff looks somewhat stronger because it has some "vinyl" spray coating.
What the fun !  I'll try it and let y'all know.  But I'll just do the door for now.  Thanks.

n01_important

Glass  ;D

If you find something, let me know.
Stupid fuck

Bungalocity

Perhaps the aluminum that was there was old and corroded and weak?
I can't imagine a cat's claw cutting thru new alum?
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

buzz

I had to replace that screening 4-5 years ago.  The dog went through it chasing after some critter.  It was actually in pretty good condition, newer than the window screens for sure.
The cats were working on 1 single corner.  The spline in the corner looked dry and I think it weakened and gave them just enough slack to tear it.

BRoWN

PamF

I have the pet proof screen on my back door.  It is better than the regular screen.  We have it mostly for squirrel protection....they climb my back door to ask for peanuts.  My cat doesn't jump that high any more so not sure how good it works against cat claws (she's 18 years old).

Bear

"they climb my back door to ask for peanuts."

"Ahem, excuse me Pam."

"Yes?"

"Do you have any peanuts?"
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

PamF

Quote from: Bear on June 23, 2009, 02:14:49 PM
"they climb my back door to ask for peanuts."

"Ahem, excuse me Pam."

"Yes?"

"Do you have any peanuts?"
Yep, that's kind of what used to happen.  One time caught him in the back hallway eating out of the peanut canister.  Now I periodically spray deer repellant on the screen to keep him off of it.

buzz

Pet Screens =  Good.
The patio/deck door is now impervious to those little claws.
I have one tip that your bilingual customer representative (clerk) may not tell you.  You cannot use the same diameter spline with the pet proof screens.  The coating makes them thicker.  I had to step down to a .125 from the original .145 spline.  It's not as easy to install because of the thickness, but if you've ever done it before, and you have a flat surface, you'll do fine.  Also, the spline should be black.  That usual grey color, don't look good.
OKAY ? 

Howard

Roy Wahlstrom in Brookfield.

buzz

Howard, I think I used him a long time ago.  He's on Ogden.  He's really good, does awnings too ?
But I can do it cheaper myself, and right now cheaper is what it's all about.
Thanks