News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

stained glass windows...

Started by shrugger, May 22, 2005, 11:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shrugger

talking with a neighbor who is planning on having windows replaced soon ... and taking out the really great stained glass set that is currently in the front bay. didn't seem to believe me when I expressed my surprise and said that there were plenty of people who would love to have these in the front of their bungalow ... in fact, these windows were destined to be taken away with the other refuse from the replacement job (!).

now I don't know much about this, but surely there is a market for these old windows? or perhaps the historical society would like a set? the neighbor said that I could have them if I really wanted them, but I think that I'd rather convince them of the fact that they could be sold or handed over to someone who would find a way to restore/reuse them.

most of all I'd like to have them stay in the house next door, but I think that ship has sailed ...
we must cultivate our garden

hvychev

Shrugger I am interested in them.......please PM me with the details.

Suedehead

damn- he's going to toss them out?!? you should have him do a search on ebay for stained glass so he can see how much he's losing.  he should really just keep them in the windows; but i know that's a crazy idea for some people. Man, people today and thier vinyl windows, barf.

Ana

shrugger, just take them and give them away yourself to someone who is going to restore their home or can use them in their bungalow.   even if you tried to convince him he is going to get rid of them anyway.  you're right the ship has sailed. . . chicagobungalow.org has a forum where you can give or sell these or you obviously have a taker here already.  give them to someone who can appreciate these, please.   :'(
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

shrugger

I am on your wavelength, Art ... at this point the only thing that I am trying to convince on is the multifaceted silliness of just tossing these aside or letting the new window installers run off with them. so don't worry, I have the best interests of the windows in mind. :D

my thought was that it would be nice for them to stay in Berwyn, as many homes have obviously lost their original stained glass accents. I also had a thought that they might make a nice showpiece or fundraiser for the historical society.

hvychev, you have a message.

hvychev

hvychev

Cheeky Monkey

Just a note to those who might be interested...
If you are ever needing stained glass work done (renovation or construction),
here is a great, local craftsman to consider. I have friends that had him do
some windows in their place...and his work was outstanding at a very reasonable price.
My wife and I are considering him for a job in the future.
Here is a shot from his website of what he did for our friends.

Creative Craftsman Services
Jeff Oravec
3419 Clinton Ave
http://creativeservices.home.att.net
phone 708-788-7343

Bru67

Quote from: Art on May 22, 2005, 09:13:44 PM
shrugger, just take them and give them away yourself to someone who is going to restore their home or can use them in their bungalow.   even if you tried to convince him he is going to get rid of them anyway.  you're right the ship has sailed. . . chicagobungalow.org has a forum where you can give or sell these or you obviously have a taker here already.  give them to someone who can appreciate these, please.   :'(

:'( That's a sad and tragic story.  Anyone who does that should be shot (just kidding but you know what I'm saying).  When we moved into our bungalow, the windows rattled loudly 24/7 and wind blew through them.  We nicknamed our dining room "the wind tunnel."  The noise was annoying.  Energy bills were high because the thermostat was in the wind tunnel.  The only thing that didn't leak was the top sashes, because several generations of thrifty Berwynites before me were kind enough to paint them shut -- one layer for every year since 1955 it looked like.  How nice of them.  But they were original and while much of the glass in the lower shashes was cracked or broken, the leaded and stained glass was still on the top front sashes and totally undamaged. 

I had to do something immediately and didn't have the heart to tear out all the windows and replace them (nor the heart to open my wallet and pay $13k for new Marvin windows to be installed).  So as an alternative, we had Just Sashes come in and restore them.  This was fine by me because:  a) a major design feature stayed original and the house is more valuable;  b) with the new storm windows, and with real glass panels in every sash, they're nearly as energy efficient as new windows would be anyway;  and, most important to a cheap bastard like me;  c) the entire job, including new storm windows all around (custom made wood ones in front) and the replacement of several panels of broken glass was less than the uninstalled cost of new Marvin windows for the lower floor alone.  If our windows were salvagable, there can't be very many which aren't.   

hvychev

Believe it or not I tried to talk the woman who this whole thread is about out of replacing the windows. She was very insistant about it. We agreed on a fair price for the windows and everybody is happy. The good news is that the windows are staying in Berwyn for future generations to enjoy.

hvychev

I want to thank shrugger. I picked up the windows this evening. I will post pics soon.

Bear

Dont think so Hvy... non-posting of attatchments is still under
the contol of those who choose not to allow such.

An unfortunate developement to say the least.

Must be a Darwinian plot no doubt...
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

hvychev

Bear I can still see all of the pics back up in the bungalow section?? ???

Brian or Jim what is the deal? Pics in this forum of not?

OakParkSpartan

If I recall, last Jim said was he hadn't figured out how to turn on posting of pictures for just this forum. 

There are free hosting services out there that you can put the photos on, then post a link to them.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

shrugger

Quote from: hvychev on August 05, 2005, 09:58:37 PM
I want to thank shrugger. I picked up the windows this evening. I will post pics soon.

glad they found a good home, hvychev.

close up they look even nicer than I thought!

jqpublic

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 05, 2005, 10:44:38 PM
There are free hosting services out there that you can put the photos on, then post a link to them.

Try http://photobucket.com
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Bear

Thats right people. you better behave
or else it is DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

hvychev

Thanks Jim.

Here are some pics of the windows.

hvychev

Can you believe she ACTUALLY told me she was going to throw them away! :'(

Ana

You did good hvychv.  If you've got extras, I've got 2 windows that could use them if they are the right size.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby