News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

stained glass windows...

Started by shrugger, May 22, 2005, 11:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

I went to see the stained glass exhibit at Navy Pier yesterday with a friend.  She happened to mention she had some Berwyn Bungalow stained glass windows stored in her attic that she was going to sell.  I don't know what price she would want, but if anyone is interested, send me a pm through the site.

The exhibit was beautiful.  It was a welcomed, calming beauty after a crazy day outside with the kids.  It is sad that the origin of a lot of the windows is not known.  If you enjoy the art of the stained glass windows and doors, I would recommend seeing the exhibit.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

jqpublic

Quote from: Juliet on August 13, 2005, 12:19:16 PM
  If you enjoy the art of the stained glass windows and doors, I would recommend seeing the exhibit.

I'll second that. I never even knew that museum existed, went to the last garden show at the pier and spent more time checking out the stained glass than I did inside the show.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

hvychev

I HAVE to go and chevk out that exibit! Did they have any Berwyn or Chicago specific windows?

Juliet you have a PM!

Guy_on_Clinton

stained glass window repair....

http://www.mulliganstainedglass.com/index.html

looks like they've worked various types of stained glass
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Bonster

Quote from: Bru67 on July 16, 2005, 12:13:02 PM
The only thing that didn't leak was the top sashes, because several generations of thrifty Berwynites before me were kind enough to paint them shut -- one layer for every year since 1955 it looked like.  How nice of them. 

Same here, Bru!
I just chipped mine open for the first time this weekend...

So bad, in fact, they sealed over exterior mounted weather stripping, brush & all...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

When we moved to Berwyn 10 years ago, one of the items on my wife's checklist was art glass in the front. Of course, the house we bought had no art glass. We commissioned a lady from Oak Park to design windows for us derivative of the one art glass panel above our fireplace. I removed all the sashes, carefully removed the float glass (broke probably 10% of it) she used some of our clear glass in the new windows. I then stripped and painted and stained the sashes before I gave them to her to install the art glass. She did a beautiful job, no one suspects they aren't original. Well worth the money time and effort.

http://www.stainedglassltd.com/

Bear

DD...How hard was it to remove your upper sash? Were they painted shut? I have to remove my upper sash on the third floor bedroom window to re caulk. I am hoping I can do it from the inside utilizing a
painters tool. I am talking serious layers of paint.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

BRoWN

Quote from: bonster on May 05, 2009, 04:10:29 PM
Quote from: Bru67 on July 16, 2005, 12:13:02 PM
The only thing that didn't leak was the top sashes, because several generations of thrifty Berwynites before me were kind enough to paint them shut -- one layer for every year since 1955 it looked like.  How nice of them. 

Same here, Bru!
I just chipped mine open for the first time this weekend...

So bad, in fact, they sealed over exterior mounted weather stripping, brush & all...

Working hard Bonster? You deserve a break today. Go get yourself a McRib and a McLatte.

Bonster

Any suggestions where to purchase replacement sash cords?

Bonster

Quote from: Bear on May 05, 2009, 04:55:39 PM
DD...How hard was it to remove your upper sash? Were they painted shut? I have to remove my upper sash on the third floor bedroom window to re caulk. I am hoping I can do it from the inside utilizing a
painters tool. I am talking serious layers of paint.

That's a tough one, Bear!  Hopefully you can release it from the inside...
I had several layers and it took some good elbow grease to break thru.

Bear

My cords were replaced with what looks like a copper plumbers chain.
They have a circular round metal eyelet that inserts into the sash.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

My neighbor who is supposed to be showing me how to replace them gave me some similar copper chain that I'm supposed to locate to replace mine with.  The present broken cords are that rope-style material which looks like it would roll more nicely over the pulley. 

Hmmm...

Bear

I have seen that, it looks like cotton clothes line rope with a knot
placed in the sash. I would try an older hardware store or maybe a glass store.

Terri

Clark and Barlow on Grand for sure.

watcher

Quote from: bonster on May 05, 2009, 04:57:01 PM
.Any suggestions where to purchase replacement sash cords?

Sash cord is just rope. You can also use copper or aluminum sash chain.

Ace Hardware, Home Depot or such will have what you need.
or there are many, many online sources
http://www.filmtools.com/gripchain.html

Chain costs more, but will outlive the house.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Nazerac

Bons, looks like we are working on the same project.  I am working on the garage windows ... layers and layers of paint that I had to chisel away!  I am almost done.

PM if you want to see the mechanism, the pulleys are in the garage and uncovered.  It will be MUCH easier to install the cloth rope (50 ft at Ace) as a replacement.

Here's what I learned so far:

1.  Get a can of Great Stuff, once you clean up the caulking there will be huge gaps (my caulking was 2" wide and about 3/4" deep in some sections.)

2.  If you have some dry rot, the epoxy is hard to use.  Try to get some liquid wood

3.  I used H2Oil for a primer, it worked very well.

4.  2 parts lindseed oil and 1 part turpentine to recondition wood ...  great stuff !

5.  It will be about 3-4 beers per window, so make sure that you have a case handy.

oh, and get a brass wire wheel and brush for your drill.  You will use them !!

I may post some pics later ...

Bonster

Quote from: watcher on May 05, 2009, 08:22:49 PM
Quote from: bonster on May 05, 2009, 04:57:01 PM
.Any suggestions where to purchase replacement sash cords?

Sash cord is just rope. You can also use copper or aluminum sash chain.

Ace Hardware, Home Depot or such will have what you need.
or there are many, many online sources
http://www.filmtools.com/gripchain.html

Chain costs more, but will outlive the house.

That's exactly what my neighbor gave me as an example, but I think I'm going to do the rope...just seems like it would slide around the pulley better...

Bear

You will have the same movement be it chain
or rope, there is no difference as your weight determines
the whole deal.

Bonster

Quote from: Nazerac on May 05, 2009, 09:21:46 PM
Bons, looks like we are working on the same project.  I am working on the garage windows ... layers and layers of paint that I had to chisel away!  I am almost done.

PM if you want to see the mechanism, the pulleys are in the garage and uncovered.  It will be MUCH easier to install the cloth rope (50 ft at Ace) as a replacement.

Here's what I learned so far:

1.  Get a can of Great Stuff, once you clean up the caulking there will be huge gaps (my caulking was 2" wide and about 3/4" deep in some sections.)

2.  If you have some dry rot, the epoxy is hard to use.  Try to get some liquid wood

3.  I used H2Oil for a primer, it worked very well.

4.  2 parts lindseed oil and 1 part turpentine to recondition wood ...  great stuff !

5.  It will be about 3-4 beers per window, so make sure that you have a case handy.

oh, and get a brass wire wheel and brush for your drill.  You will use them !!

I may post some pics later ...

Good stuff, Naz.

Man...I'm going need some serious liquid wood and epoxy on my back porch...not looking fwd to that.

#4, linseed/turpentine...that's just to recondition prior to priming, right?  Or are you going with natural wood?
(like littlemonkey's storms: http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3874.msg84698;topicseen#msg84698)

I'm using the heat gun on the larger areas, and chipping away the paint in the tight spots.  I have these slide-on screens with channels that slip on ½" tapered rails that I'm afraid to burn up with the gun...  

Bonster

I'm looking to remove the windows entirely and get them professionally reglazed as well.

I tried my shaky hand at reglazing and it was horrific...