stained glass windows...

Started by shrugger, May 22, 2005, 11:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: Bear on May 05, 2009, 10:23:52 PM
You will have the same movement be it chain
or rope, there is no difference as your weight determines
the whole deal.

You're right on.  I just checked and realized all my working windows are in fact chain, and work with ease.
The rope sashes are mostly broken...

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

For those interested in stained glass, check out this Berwyn Historical Society event.

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=7788.0
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Nazerac

Quote from: bonster on May 05, 2009, 10:28:08 PM
I'm looking to remove the windows entirely and get them professionally reglazed as well.

I tried my shaky hand at reglazing and it was horrific...

I am not going that far.  I could have used a heat gun to remove the rest of the paint, but I just don't have the time for a garage window now.  The linseed oil/turpentine is just to recondition the wood prior to priming, you are correct.  I just finished with the paint job, it doesn't look perfect, but it is much better than what it used to be.  It's also a temporary color that I had, until we decide what color to paint all the trims.

Bear

Glazing is easy once you practice a bit. Try using a 1"
wood chisel. The angle on the face will help you hold
the correct angle for the compound.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bear

I looked for a tutorial for you Bonz and found this
chit. I am going to try a tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_NseHvPVM
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Kickass, Bear.  I need to find glaze that comes in a tube like that...would make it much easier to apply.

Nazerac

I got some from Hodgkin's Menards.

Bear

Naz did you find that brand? (EZ Glaze 601)
I was at Menards and did not see any.

Nazerac

Quote from: Bear on May 06, 2009, 05:24:09 PM
Naz did you find that brand? (EZ Glaze 601)
I was at Menards and did not see any.

I actually just got the Dap brand. 

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=119&SubcatID=19

However ... I didn't use it, I just did spot caulking with regular windows/door caulking.  It was late on Monday and had little time to do a good job before the rain.  So far it is holding up.

Bear

Very good...I missed seeing that one, I was trying to beat the downpour home and gave everything just a quick scan. As chemical
formulations go it is probably the same as 601, and Dap has been making window glaze forever. Can't wait to check it out...

Bonster

While taking apart my front windows to strip and repair I snapped a few pictures.
Some interesting stuff from the guts of this old joint.
All thumbnails are clickable to see full size pic.

untouched window,
sash stop in place
_
sash stop removed,
everything stripped,
lower sash removed

sash with broken cord
_
scuffing from pulling the stop out
_
splintering at bottom
of stop (tight fit!)
_
old weather stripping
& splintering

webs, dust, & dead weights
from broken sash cords
_
inside the frame, looking down at weights
one is still connected, upper left
_
inside the frame, looking up.
four pulleys, two cords,
only one intact with weight

sash cord broken at weight loop
_
sash weight -
MANCO-5
_
two 5lbs (lower sash),
one 8lb (upper)

Bear

Very cool Bons...You had a clean meal in there
I have heard stories of people finding all types
of skeletal remains when opening a home. A neighbor
by me found all kinds of squirel skeletal remains when
he did the same thing.

Were you able to remove the upper sash from the inside?

Nazerac

A bons, a couple of pointers.

1.  I got some old fashioned window glaze, much MUCH easier to use than tube ... the trick?  A 1" chisel.  It's the best width and has the two angles to make sure you end up with a smooth uniform surface

2.  Rope is easier than chain.  If you have rope, you need another mechanism/piece of something to go to chain, with a rope, you only need to make a knot.

Good luck

Bonster

Quote from: Bear on June 11, 2009, 07:52:22 PM
Were you able to remove the upper sash from the inside?

Glad you asked - Yes!
The second stop was easier to pull - not nailed in, just had to work it around the part of the window that juts out a bit to seal up against the lower sash.

Also, I was able to break the paint seal from outside,
but I've seen tools meant for doing that, so you may be able to by reaching up there if necessary.

All images clickable

upper sash

You can see the
channel where the
uppper sash stop
goes, up between
the pulleys
_
another view of it,
looking down
_
I haven't pulled any stops
on the right hand side.
Here they are untouched.
_
upper sash stop,
just a piece of ½" x ¾"

Bonster

Quote from: Nazerac on June 11, 2009, 08:28:50 PM
A bons, a couple of pointers.

1.  I got some old fashioned window glaze, much MUCH easier to use than tube ... the trick?  A 1" chisel.  It's the best width and has the two angles to make sure you end up with a smooth uniform surface

2.  Rope is easier than chain.  If you have rope, you need another mechanism/piece of something to go to chain, with a rope, you only need to make a knot.

Good luck

I agree!  I think I'm going to go with rope.  Chain may last forever, but rope will surely outlast me, so...

I have some old fashioned glaze...just not good at working it.  Do you roll it into a long snake, first, then set it in there?

I will probably do the lower sash glaze myself, but will have
my upper sashes done professionally, though, with the multiple windows (3 panes over 2 is too much for me)

Nazerac

It doesn't really matter, just push it in.  You can roll it into a snake or multiple small pieces and push it in.  Once you run the chisel over it at the correct angle, most of it will come off.  The trick is to make sure that you work the glaze very well before you put it on.  You should also prime the window first.  When you prime it, it will not absorb the moisture from the glaze.  It really isn't that difficult, just make sure that you get that chisel.  If I can do, so can you.

eno

Bons:

I've been meaning to say this for a while now; you have a very good photographic eye! Your pix always quickly & accurately portray the subject.

eno
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

Bonster

Thanks!
For every good picture I usually take 2 or 3 garbage shots of the same thing. 
Thank god for digital cameras.

tgoddess

Bon,

My dad is an old pro at the window glazing stuff...if you have specific questions or need help, give me a call and I can put you in touch with him.  Hell, he'd probably come over and help you DO it.  :-)
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bear

Tyry is gonna kill him when she sees that window on the couch.