Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Dormers gone bad . . .

Started by Bonster, February 01, 2007, 10:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hounddog

Bru67

Quote from: renovatorbear on February 19, 2007, 12:20:26 PM
I nearly crash the precious Subaru every time I pass this one... (apologies in advance if this is a board member's home  ;)).  Thoughts...?

At least it's updated!  Literally, UPdated. 

Bear

Guess they needed more storage space for newspapers and thread
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

scoon

Quote from: Bonster on February 12, 2007, 03:09:05 PM
This was one of those non-descript rectangle homes I talked about.

Those of us who live in these non-descript homes call them ranches.  Or mid-century ranches... per Ana's suggestion.   ;D

Recently, there was a flier from a builder on my door that showed a fantastic looking second addition to a ranch, but I have since lost it.  Attempts to google the builder have been unfruitful, but it really got the gears going.  Still miss that master bath.  (Hell, we miss any bath that can occupy more than one person at a time that doesn't exceed fire codes.)

Boris

Quote from: renovatorbear on February 19, 2007, 12:20:26 PM
I nearly crash the precious Subaru every time I pass this one... (apologies in advance if this is a board member's home  ;)).  Thoughts...?

wow...that looks like part of some Lake Geneva resort crash-landed on top of the house.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

renovatorbear

Quote from: Boris
wow...that looks like part of some Lake Geneva resort crash-landed on top of the house.

Yes, there's something very "Berwyn meets the Von Trapp Family" about it.  Makes me want to yodel.

Boris

Quote from: renovatorbear on February 19, 2007, 06:03:59 PM
Quote from: Boris

Yes, there's something very "Berwyn meets the Von Trapp Family" about it.  Makes me want to yodel.

um...yodel, right.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

From the side it looks like they were trying to create a mini-Catholic church.
Add a some stained glass, a bell tower, and the stations of the cross inside and you're set.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pkd50

Bonster

Not sure if I really hate  this type of mod or not - enclosing the bungalow porch.
I sure wouldn't do it, but I really can't fault a person for trying to get more room without dropping a double-wide on top the house.
I really dislike when it doesn't match the home well, though.  Some of the ones I see on Austin look pretty decent.
And that bay window job is just "fugly."  (Not sure what happened with that front basement window, either.)

OakParkSpartan

That  just screams "Buy Me!".  Ugly window, mutilated porch, nice welcoming barred door, falling over For  Sale sign...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

BPM

Hate the "hat" approach to topping  a bungalow.

Bonster

From the stolen Vatican art story...

Quote from: apatriot on March 28, 2007, 09:05:43 PM
P.S.  This Bungalow has a big white aluminum siding dormer on it.

...good catch apatriot.  Yes it does.  Looks like a bland white frame house fell from the sky on this.  Gross. 

renovatorbear

That's just waiting for a good storm to come by and rip it the hell off...

Bonster:  I've seen that "enclosed porch" in the picture you posted and had the same reaction.  There are many of those botched jobs around town. 

scoon

I get ripped by some for "talking shit" about my neighbors, but it seems a double wide is coming to my neighborhood.  A house at the end of my alley has had its lid removed and is awaiting it's brand new dormer.

Bonster

It can be done tastefully...it will be interesting to see if the top matches the bottom...

scoon

Will the curtains match the carpet...

renovatorbear

...you beat me to that one!  ;)

Bonster

I walked most of Oak Park Ave, yesterday (Ogden Ave. to 1300).  That may become a nice routine on others as well.  I saw so many interesting homes, some disasters, lots of Christmas decorations.

One thing I noticed which I never did from the car was 2426(?) Oak Park Ave.  Two bungalows are joined together at the hip.
Does anyone know anything about this home?  Tony?

The postlady said it's one family, who combined them years back, and it's supposedly been in the paper (Trib, Times) before.

Suzy Q

I don't remember exactly but I think an artist moved in and needed more space for a studio and bought the house next door and then connected the two.