News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Miss my bungalow

Started by littlealexa, February 28, 2007, 09:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlealexa

Hi all, let me introduce myself.  My hubby has lived in Berwyn for about 11 years, we bought a bungalow in 2004 shortly before being marries on 16th and Wenonah.  It was very well maintained, it had some of its original features as well as some newer elements.  I loved the house the moment I stepped in saying I wanted to raise my kids here.  Well lo and behold, we sold it in 2006.  Why did we sell it, well for one I hated the neighbors behind the alley from me.  When I would go out to my yard or garage, I would smell weed.  The folks initially had 4 pitbulls, some of which constantly escaped.  I was chased by one at one time, another time a puppy came into my garage.  I called the police, my next door neighbor would call the police.  The police would constantly be at that house, one time the officer ran into his SUV and closed up his windows as one of the dogs came running towards him.  I have a little son and a yorkie terrier, I therefore, was looking out for their safety.  In addition, on weekends, we couldn't get into our garage due to the folks in the back having parked cars, thus blocking us from getting into our garage.  They looked like tough people and thus I didn't want to get retaliated against.  We put our house on the market (a little overpriced) and it sold in 2 weeks; it went to a nice working family.  I miss my bungalow.  We now live in a farmhouse in the proksa park area (needs lots of work)...alas, that bungalow was really beautiful....

scoon

Welcome to the board little alexa.  I live near Proksa too, and I think it's the best area of the city. 

Robert Pauly

Another Proksa person here, alexa - welcome to the neighborhood.  See you in the park.

Bonster

that's the ticket!  let's all move to Proska.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tony la

Welcome Alexa, I also live near Proksa.  Don't ya just hate when they mis spell the name of the park.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

alexa, what happened when you called the police regarding the weed or the roaming pitbulls?  

Is 16th and Wenonah in Zone 6?  That might (have) explain some things...

Berwyn Patsy

The shame of it all, is you felt you were forced to leave your beautiful Little bungalow, because of a bunch of
rowdy, ignorant people.  
Berwyn REALLY needs to enforce some rules, ordinances and laws here, things are getting out of control.
Pit  bulls allowed to get out  of yards or houses?   Unacceptable to me.  Leash Law ?   Ban Pit Bulls from our city?
Why can't Berwyn be like other cities?  Locked garbage Lids, Christmas Decoration enforcement, Pit Bulls and the list goes on and on.

littlealexa

Thank you hope to chat with you all and meet in the park.

littlealexa

The police would come and go, initially the folks had 6 dogs, upon us calling our neighbors had to get rid of some. So 2 dogs went next door (somehow the families were related).  I think the police made them get rid of the 2, however, they were still next door.  It seemed they would breed the dogs because they would bring the male to mate with the females and they would watch and yell words of encouragement to the dog; totally gross in my opinion.  They didn't have a gate door, which is why the dogs would escape, they had a makeshift gate: Berwyn garbage cans as a fortress, I recall, one of the dogs jumping out.  The police were constantly visiting them due to calls from me and my next door neighbor (his SUV came under attack by the dogs at one point).  I also believe they were forced to put up a gate door because they were working on it and 3 months later they were still working on it (only had the fence posts up).  I recall one time in the summer the guy was yelling at one of the dogs cause it gently bit one of the kids (maybe 6 years old).  I hope my old neighbor doesn't give up like I did, nonetheless, I like were I live now.

Bonster

Quote from: littlealexa on February 28, 2007, 09:45:28 AM
I hope my old neighbor doesn't give up like I did, nonetheless, I like were I live now.

I hope they don't, either. 
We cannot promote part of Berwyn and neglect others.

littlealexa

Oh, forgot to mention the time teens were jumping on the hoods of the cars in the middle of the night.  We kept on hearing loud thumps and saw them jumping on the hoods, called the police.  Police showed up, however, the teens had already taken off.  Then there was the time that some thugs were throwing cat calls at me near my house (I was pregnant show some respect).  One morning there was writing on the corner house's garage....yes, it was time to move.

Bonster

Bonster

Funny.  When I mentioned all the crap that was going on around my house, the response was more like-

"CALL THE POLICE!  KEEP CALLING THE POLICE!  DON'T LET THE THUGS WIN! "
"BERWYN IS COMING AROUND!  IT'S NOT THAT BAD!  YOU'RE EXAGERATING!"

littlealexa

If your coming from Chicago, this stuff isn't as bad as the city I guess.  I know what you mean it looks very tranquil but some spots may be a bit more rough around the edges.  I haven't read your previous threads re "calling the police" and you "exagerrating things", I do believe berwyn has some good neighborhoods and some bad ones, just like any other city.

A co-worker of mine moved out of Berwyn and went to Lagrange Park, due to better schools.  She said that if we stick together and make changes to Berwyn, ie schools and bad areas it would hold some promise.  She wishes she could move back. 

littlealexa

Forgot to mention this little tidbit, the previous owners told us to keep our garbage cans inside the gate door. Didn't tell us why, we didn't ask, seemed like no big deal.  I later found out the reason: I would find big dog turds in my garbage can, no bag or anything, just thrown in there.  I cleaned that can so many times; I started putting it inside my yard and would still have a few turds once in a while. Another time, we had no garbage can, found it down the alley, we told the new folks on the block that that was our can and they gave it to us, didn't know how it ended up in their garage.  Then a few days our can was missing, never to be found.  We had it replaced by waste management.  No exaggeration on my part.

scoon

Quote from: Bonster on February 28, 2007, 10:43:31 AM
Funny.  When I mentioned all the crap that was going on around my house, the response was more like-

That's because, Mr. Pseudo Administrator, we know you're full of crap.   :D

Curious George

Too bad you had to move Alexa.  Seems to me it is time for the city leaders, from da mare to the alderpersons to just get tough.  No more lip service.  Unleash the fury of our departments to make the lives of these cretins who disturb our peace and quiet a living hell!  Yes, I mean have police ticket and tow, regardless of political consequences.  You cannot educate or reason with people who do not want to learn or listen, but we surely can fight back.

Sorry, if it seems like racial profiling, or picking on one certain ethnic group, but we really need to take back our city!

Berwyn was and still can be a great place to raise a family, as so many of us are proving.  Put petty differnces behind us and work together for a solution.

Bonster

Quote from: scoon on February 28, 2007, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: Bonster on February 28, 2007, 10:43:31 AM

That's because, Mr. Pseudo Administrator, we know you're full of crap.   :D

No, really, I'm not!  I dumped in littlealexa's garbage can. 

Count DMC

Quote from: curiousgeorgethemonkey on February 28, 2007, 12:20:56 PM
Too bad you had to move Alexa.  Seems to me it is time for the city leaders, from da mare to the alderpersons to just get tough.  No more lip service.  Unleash the fury of our departments to make the lives of these cretins who disturb our peace and quiet a living hell!  Yes, I mean have police ticket and tow, regardless of political consequences.  You cannot educate or reason with people who do not want to learn or listen, but we surely can fight back.

Sorry, if it seems like racial profiling, or picking on one certain ethnic group, but we really need to take back our city!

Berwyn was and still can be a great place to raise a family, as so many of us are proving.  Put petty differnces behind us and work together for a solution.

Who are you taking it back from? And who is the we who will do it? You never mentioned the ethnic group that usurped the City from you and yours so how is it racial profiling? How can you put petty differences behind you when ethnicity seems to be your biggest difference, and that is not petty? How do you propose to work together when you seem to be dividing along some sort of ethic lines? Just asking, this was your post.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

I'd  suggest that following the law isn't related to ethnic background.  Nor should enforcement.

If folks are comfortable with a gang lifestyle, I'd prefer they be encouraged to move through enforcement of all applicable laws.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato