News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

The garden thread.

Started by Boris, May 21, 2007, 08:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

Quote from: Melliman on May 21, 2007, 08:14:29 PM
Boris, what kind of beer you drink?  I need you over here for a weekend!

cold
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

Quote from: Melliman on May 21, 2007, 08:14:29 PM
Boris, what kind of beer you drink?  I need you over here for a weekend!

Boris, what kind of wine do your in-laws drink?  I'm ready to go to town here.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Matryoshka

Boris, what kind of car have you always dreamt of owning?...Geez, what is this, who can win over Boris? I call dibs on Boris...we'll give ya some home made vino and a delicious plate of pasta, under the vines -

Bonster

Quote from: 'Rita on May 21, 2007, 10:43:51 PM
...Geez, what is this, who can win over Boris? I call dibs on Boris...
That's fine.  You guys can split Boris.
We'll see who's cryin' when I get the 'rents and in-laws (florist, landscape architect, electrician, actors, ...)!!!

WOOF!

delbowz

Quote from: Bonster on May 21, 2007, 05:37:00 PM
Quote from: delbowz on May 21, 2007, 03:55:05 PM
Boris - how do you keep your yard so beautiful AND have a dog???
He doesn't have a dog (anymore, yet).
But in that regard, I've heard it has a lot to do with the makeup of your dog's urine, particularly the PH.

It also has something to do with being on the north side. 
The only dead patch of grass I have right now is where my dog never pees. <smiley>

Crap.  I'm sorry Boris!! I forgot.

I wish I had 1/10th of your green thumb (or connections!!)

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

Boris

OK..this is getting wierd...I had hoped to inspire some folks here to post pictures of their gardens (Bear...), share tips or secrets etc. However, if you would rather offer me everything from brownies to your first-born in return for my gardening mojo...

...I'll set up a PO Box to accept tribute.

rbain

Man, P. Allen Smith has GOT to be one of the creepier people on TV!
-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Terri

What's so creepy?  I don't see his show but read his monthly articles in Cottage Living mag.  He has great gardening ideas. 

Terri

Boris

Quote from: Terri on May 22, 2007, 09:10:15 AM
What's so creepy?  I don't see his show but read his monthly articles in Cottage Living mag.  He has great gardening ideas. 

Terri

He's creepy kinda in the same way that MiniMe is creepy...

rbain

Terri-
It's his show. His voice and inflections just make my skin crawl. It's like those televangelists who are just too wholesome and gentle and saccharine- you just know there are bodies buried in the back yard! (Or meth-dealing male prostitutes in the closet)
-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Boris

Quote from: rbain on May 22, 2007, 09:25:08 AM
Terri-
It's his show. His voice and inflections just make my skin crawl. It's like those televangelists who are just too wholesome and gentle and saccharine- you just know there are bodies buried in the back yard! (Or meth-dealing male prostitutes in the closet)
-Rob

...yeah. Imagine Al Gore, mixed with a little Ralph Reed and sprinkled liberally with Stepford Wives.

It's pretty hilarious though, when he travels to Holland and always seems to fall immediately in love with the tall, salt-and-peppered-haired horticulturalist that tours him around.

rbain

And being on TV appearently doesn't entitle one to a hairstylist. I'm gonna guess he hasn't changed that since he first saw it on "Who's the Boss".

-Rob

Ana

Boris -- I'll post some of my garden and my neighbors' as soon as I can find my camera.  Competition sometimes leads to good things.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Quote from: Boris on May 22, 2007, 08:24:45 AM
I had hoped to inspire some folks here to post pictures of their gardens (Bear...), share tips or secrets etc.

too.....intimidated.....

I could use some tips, though.

My 3rd year Clematis is growing funky...the bottom 3 feet look dry and dead, but the top foot (end of my trellis) is bunched up thick (and ready to pop with scores of dark purple flowers).  SHould I retrain the thing to grow back down, add more to the trellis, or what?  I wish I could pull it down so the middle isn't "bare."  I'll try to post a pic later.

scoon

OK..this is getting wierd...I had hoped to inspire some folks here to post pictures of their gardens

I was waiting for bohemian to post pictures of mine.

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

apatriot

let's face it scoon, you and the mrs. are not expert landscapers.  doesn't seem to be a high priority for you, but then it's not a high priority for a lot of people so you're not alone.

Landscaping, gardening and maintenance is a lot of work.  If you can't do the work just keep it simple.

scoon

Quote from: apatriot on May 22, 2007, 11:29:22 PM
let's face it scoon, you and the mrs. are not expert landscapers.  doesn't seem to be a high priority for you, but then it's not a high priority for a lot of people so you're not alone.

Landscaping, gardening and maintenance is a lot of work.  If you can't do the work just keep it simple.

I'm not sure what to make of your post...  almost seems like you're being nice. 

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

~LL~

OK..this is getting wierd...I had hoped to inspire some folks here to post pictures of their gardens (Bear...), share tips or secrets etc. However, if you would rather offer me everything from brownies to your first-born in return for my gardening mojo...

I really don't plant with much of a plan -- just by what is likely to grow and what will offer spots of color and 'pattern' around the house.  I enjoy creating combos of unusual colors/plants in hanging baskets to decorate my tiny front porch -- which becomes quite a nice sanctuary when everything gets going.
Here is an area of the back yard I am enjoying right now.  These Icelandic Poppies 'came with' the property and, being heavy seeders,  are in several spots around the back yard.  The color is simply stunning.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Matryoshka

Those Poppies are beautiful...never seen/heard of 'em before...wonder if they have the same hallucinogenic powers as the American variety