News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

The garden thread.

Started by Boris, May 21, 2007, 08:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

ahh.  Mine is on my garage, East-facing wall, so it gets good morning sun.

I'd like to do the shade thing at the bottom, but like you said, since it's popping good, you know it's doing OK.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 03, 2007, 11:07:27 AM
Columbine naturalizes nice...just keeps coming back (except for that one corner where everything dies...).

Need a part-shade, will live in shitty conditions plant...would prefer some color.  Recommendations welcome.

Cheers,
Brian

Astilbe.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ana

Quote from: Bonster on June 03, 2007, 11:25:28 AM
I'll have to do that (shade plants).

Ana- your garden kicks ass; I love it. 
I also dig your unique basement windows.
And I think my wife stole some of your solar lights.     

Shade gardens are a lot of fun, now that I know (somewhat) which plants will do well in the shade.  Hostas are like weeds, beautiful never dying weeds.  There is a new hosta chosen as "hosta of the year" every year.  I've tried to find this year's paradigm at home depot but have had no luck. 

My windows are tutti-frutti.  Some glass block, some with that panel with red acrylic inserts, some just plain, some original craftsman.  The red acrylic panels are just laid between a true original craftsman window and the storm window (don't ask me why).  Some day I will get around to taking them out. 

Got the lights at menards and don't give anyone any ideas. >:(
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

OakParkSpartan

Ana,

Tons of hostas here:  http://www.thegrowingplace.com/  at the Fox Valley location.

Probably 50-60 varieties.  Some are HUGE.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ana

Quote from: Terri on June 03, 2007, 11:30:12 AM
Lovely Ana! 

Bonster my clematis does the same, I figured it was growing so it was ok.  Boris' explanation makes sense. 

Terri

Thanks Terri.

Lovely clematis Bonster.  I just planted three in my north garden that are very small and there are two in the south garden, one of which is going to burst into color any day.

Someone told me that I should protect the roots by adding mulch.  True?

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 03, 2007, 11:18:14 PM
Ana,

Tons of hostas here:  http://www.thegrowingplace.com/  at the Fox Valley location.

Probably 50-60 varieties.  Some are HUGE.

Thank you OPS.  I'm going to have to take a ride there this coming weekend.

BTW, most people spend a lot of money during the Christmas season. . . well, guess when I spend all of my money.

There are so many perennials that we can all share.  So in the spirit of sharing and trying not to spend. . . if there is anything that any of you see in my garden that looks appealing and would like a clump or seeds, just let me know.

Ana

OPS, a co-worker gave me the following article today re flowers for shade.  These may work for you.  I love the climbing hydrangea.

Q & A 3 flowering vines flourish in shade

By Denise Corkery
Special to the Tribune
Published June 3, 2007

Q   Could you recommend a flowering vine that grows well in shade?
— Lynn Heimerdinger, LaGrange

A   Consider three great plants that not only grow well in full to partial shade, they also actually prefer it. The first, climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris), is hardy to Zone 5. This deciduous woody vine climbs by aerial rootlets, making it ideal for covering walls, fences or other sturdy structures.

Fragrant white flowers appear in late May and June. Glossy, heart-shaped green leaves extend this plant's presence well into late fall, when exfoliating bark on mature plants begins providing winter interest. A vigorous grower, climbing hydrangea can reach 40 to 50 feet high.

Another great choice is Japanese hydrangea vine 'Moonlight' (Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight'). Another deciduous, woody-stemmed climber, it produces 5- to 7-inch flowers in July. Resembling a lace cap hydrangea, the large flowers float above attractive 3- to 5-inch-long serrated leaves that turn yellow in the fall. When grown in moist fertile soil, it eventually will grow up to 25 feet tall by 8 feet wide. It'sexcellent for brightening dark spaces.

The third option is suitable for growing in containers with vertical support. Clematis 'Guernsey Cream' does best in partial shade. Creamy 4- to 6-inch flowers with yellow stamens bloom on last year's stems in midseason and later on the current year's growth. Mature plants are 6 to 8 feet tall, and can be pruned to maintain a shorter height in smaller gardens.

All three vines are slow to establish but worth the wait.

Terri

Quote from: Ana on June 03, 2007, 11:35:20 PM
There are so many perennials that we can all share.  So in the spirit of sharing and trying not to spend. . . if there is anything that any of you see in my garden that looks appealing and would like a clump or seeds, just let me know.
I have cream (old-fashioned) hydrengea, white phlox, purple coneflowers and lily of the valley if anyone would like some.  

Terri

Bonster

Quote from: Terri on June 04, 2007, 11:09:25 AM
Quote from: Ana on June 03, 2007, 11:35:20 PM
I have cream (old-fashioned) hydrengea, white phlox, purple coneflowers and lily of the valley if anyone would like some.  

Terri

How did I miss this?  TyRy?

Bonster

Clematis question:

Do you prune the seedheads once the flowers are spent (like with Roses)?

I've gotten mixed answers to this question; I haven't in the past, and my clematis has been fantastic.

renovatorbear

We don't, and ours are are huge and covered in flowers every year.  Just keep those roots cool...

Boris

Quote from: renovatorbear on June 19, 2007, 03:32:48 PM
We don't, and ours are are huge and covered in flowers every year.  Just keep those roots cool...

same here.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller