News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Berwyn house on Internet

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, September 10, 2007, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truman40

Clip the damn bushes and trim the trees on your property- pretty simple.
Quick story- When I first moved into my new house the neighbor asked if he could trim the tree in my yard since it had not been taken care of by the previous owners. I was busy unpacking and what not so I said go ahead. He did a terrible job and ended up killing the tree.
So who was the blame? Me for being lazy and giving him permission or him for not knowing what he was doing?? Stepping back and NOT getting emotional I realized I should have done the work myself and that he meant no harm. I wrote it up as lesson learned and one where hard feelings or lawyers did not need to be involved. No one is saying you have to be best buds with your neighbors but being civil should not be that hard. Or maybe I just lucked out with wonderful neighbors. I have never even seen the inside of their houses but we all keep on eye on each other property and help maintain each others mutual interests.
On another note I notice people blow their fallen leaves onto the street. They seem to just sit there and decay. I always rake up my leaves and put them in those biodegradable bags. Is it ok to blow the leaves onto the street? Does the city pick them up at some point?
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Matryoshka

Quote from: truman40 on November 30, 2007, 10:22:26 AM
Clip the damn bushes and trim the trees on your property- pretty simple.
Quick story- When I first moved into my new house the neighbor asked if he could trim the tree in my yard since it had not been taken care of by the previous owners. I was busy unpacking and what not so I said go ahead. He did a terrible job and ended up killing the tree.
So who was the blame? Me for being lazy and giving him permission or him for not knowing what he was doing?? Stepping back and NOT getting emotional I realized I should have done the work myself and that he meant no harm. I wrote it up as lesson learned and one where hard feelings or lawyers did not need to be involved. No one is saying you have to be best buds with your neighbors but being civil should not be that hard. Or maybe I just lucked out with wonderful neighbors. I have never even seen the inside of their houses but we all keep on eye on each other property and help maintain each others mutual interests.
On another note I notice people blow their fallen leaves onto the street. They seem to just sit there and decay. I always rake up my leaves and put them in those biodegradable bags. Is it ok to blow the leaves onto the street? Does the city pick them up at some point?

No, it is illegal in Berwyn to do so, PW does not pick 'em up. You can receive a LO ticket for piling your leaves in the street...keep usin' them biodegradable bags, truman

renovatorbear

When we moved here in 2002, there was a piece in the Berwyn Life stating that residents were not to rake/blow leaves into piles on the street.  But it seems like everyone on our block does (except us).  And last week I was driving down a side street, and I saw a Berwyn PW vehicle assisting a street cleaning vehicle with a piles of leaves left in the street.  I don't know if was moving them so the cleaner could get through or if the cleaner was in fact picking up the piles.  Was the first time I saw this... 

We brown bagged 12 bags from our front lawn last weekend.  The Bradford Pear in our back yard hasn 'rt even let go of it's leaves yet, but when it does, it'll be another 6-8 bags.

Matryoshka

Quote from: renovatorbear on November 30, 2007, 12:51:45 PM
When we moved here in 2002, there was a piece in the Berwyn Life stating that residents were not to rake/blow leaves into piles on the street.  But it seems like everyone on our block does (except us).  And last week I was driving down a side street, and I saw a Berwyn PW vehicle assisting a street cleaning vehicle with a piles of leaves left in the street.  I don't know if was moving them so the cleaner could get through or if the cleaner was in fact picking up the piles.  Was the first time I saw this... 

We brown bagged 12 bags from our front lawn last weekend.  The Bradford Pear in our back yard hasn 'rt even let go of it's leaves yet, but when it does, it'll be another 6-8 bags.

I guess it's like just about every other illegal thing...there's still gonna be plenty of people who do it...and get away w/it.  I suppose many people do not know that it is infact not permitted here, so that may be why they're doing so.  PW pickin em up is only perpetuating the problem though. Perhaps  we, the ~caring~ people of the community, should unite, print out signs in English and Spanish, directing them to not pile leaves in the street, and hang the signs on the doors of said properties in violation of this ordinance.

Bonster

Quote from: 'Rita/aka Berwyn Scumbag Broad on December 01, 2007, 05:46:42 PM
I suppose many people do not know that it is infact not permitted here, so that may be why they're doing so. 

That was the case with me - didn't know that when I moved here. 
Everywhere else I've lived that's how it was done, including where I moved from (Elmwood Park). 
My neighbor here alerted me after I blew all my leaves in front into the street.

Perhaps  we, the ~caring~ people of the community, should unite, print out signs in English and Spanish, directing them to not pile leaves in the street, and hang the signs on the doors of said properties in violation of this ordinance.

Why cannot Berwyn pick the leaves up as is done elsewhere? 
Are our street cleaners not equipped to do so, do other cities have separate vehicles for that pupose?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

I suppose many people do not know that it is infact not permitted here, so that may be why they're doing so. 

Everywhere else I've lived that's how it was done, including where I moved from (Elmwood Park). 
My neighbor here alerted me after I blew all my leaves in front into the street.

Perhaps  we, the ~caring~ people of the community, should unite, print out signs in English and Spanish, directing them to not pile leaves in the street, and hang the signs on the doors of said properties in violation of this ordinance.

Are our street cleaners not equipped to do so or do other communities have separate vehicles for that pupose?

Matryoshka

Quote from: Bonster on December 01, 2007, 06:10:42 PM

Are our street cleaners not equipped to do so or do other communities have separate vehicles for that pupose?

Not sure...I've heard that they clog the sewers, but what sewers?

~LL~

[ Perhaps  we, the ~caring~ people of the community, should unite, print out signs in English and Spanish, directing them to not pile leaves in the street, and hang the signs on the doors of said properties in violation of this ordinance.

How about they should just get an LO ticket -- printed in English.  Period.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Rizzo

Quote from: 'Rita/aka Berwyn Scumbag Broad on December 02, 2007, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: Bonster on December 01, 2007, 06:10:42 PM

Not sure...I've heard that they clog the sewers, but what sewers?

Berwyn has only one type sewers, combination sewers or everything goes to one pipe.  This is one reason why sewer backups are a big problem.  Especially if your building lacks overhead sewers. 

Matryoshka

Quote from: Rizzo on December 02, 2007, 10:47:18 PM

Berwyn has only one type sewers, combination sewers or everything goes to one pipe.  This is one reason why sewer backups are a big problem.  Especially if your building lacks overhead sewers. 

Aaahhso!  So now why do other suburbs pick 'em up, doesn't it clog their sewers too? Or is Berwyn the only ass backward suburb (sewagely speaking)

Bonster

ivan

2112 Home ave now for sale $319,900
Wonder if he will trim the bushes?