Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Storm Damage?

Started by watcher, June 15, 2008, 10:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank white

Quote from: delbowz on June 18, 2008, 02:15:04 PM
15 layoffs?  15 layoffs cause this uproar?  I am sorry for those 15 folks and their famillies, but in the big scheme of things, that's like waht, a 4% decrease in staff?  I may be callus and jaded - working for a company that has cut departments by as much as 17% in the past month, but 15 jobs in the scheme of things doesn't seem to be a HORRIBLE move.

In the Pw dept that is actually 20% of their workforce. I can't see city services being up to par after those are let go can you? I can't wait to see the leaf pick up and also the snow removal for this year though something tells me the Mayor has not thought that far in advance. Is there any chance you will be in the next chop at your co. so I can have the same view as you?
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

Bonster

Quote from: frank white on June 18, 2008, 07:48:02 PM
I can't see city services being up to par after those are let go can you?

Well, judging by the job they did on the snow this year and the responses on this board, it doesn't appear they were up to par anyway.  (I was fine w/it)
Perhaps some dead weight was shed.  Or, maybe you can shed some light in just who was let go ($$ + skill set)?

Besides, 15 people weren't let go in PW alone:

Quote from: Bear on June 18, 2008, 10:20:17 AM
15 layoffs total, PW, city hall and the library
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

frank white

No I do not know who was let go or how much was saved my point was less manpower could equal lesser performance.
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

watcher

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on June 18, 2008, 06:47:25 PM
I have a question regarding damage from trees that are not yours but hang over your property.  Who is responsible for this?

Someone in the insurance profession would likely have better information, but until then...

The "owner" of the tree is responsible for damage.  But it is part of your insurance coverage as well. You can submit a claim against the "owners" liability insurance if you have that information. If not, contact your insurance agent and let them deal with it.

If the damage is clearly the result of an overhanging limb, there shouldn't be a problem sorting it out.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

delbowz

In the Pw dept that is actually 20% of their workforce. I can't see city services being up to par after those are let go can you? I can't wait to see the leaf pick up and also the snow removal for this year though something tells me the Mayor has not thought that far in advance. Is there any chance you will be in the next chop at your co. so I can have the same view as you?

Frank - I've been there before - and it's just part of the real world.  Is it fun? No, is it fair, may not seem so.. but it's nothing personal - it's business - and in this town - it's the running of the city.  If you're pissed, be pissed at the alderman for not passing the increase in city stickers - could have saved a job or two.

Also, there is a chance these workers can and will be called back if there is $$ in the coffers to pay them.  I'd suspect that will be the case w/ PW.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

Boris

Quote from: delbowz on June 18, 2008, 02:15:04 PM
15 layoffs?  15 layoffs cause this uproar?  I am sorry for those 15 folks and their famillies, but in the big scheme of things, that's like waht, a 4% decrease in staff?  I may be callus and jaded - working for a company that has cut departments by as much as 17% in the past month, but 15 jobs in the scheme of things doesn't seem to be a HORRIBLE move.

You're thinking of Oak Park...they don't pick up leaves in Berwyn. You have to bag 'em for WM.

1060.10     LANDSCAPE WASTE PROGRAM.

(a)     The City has determined that it is in the best interest of its residents and in the furtherance of State law and the public health, welfare and safety to institute a program for the collection and disposal of landscape waste within the City.

(b)     The Landscape Waste Program includes the weekly collection of landscape waste units at alleyside that is separate from the normal collection of refuse, but which must be collected on the same days as the normal collection of refuse, using trucks and equipment specifically designated for the collection of landscape waste.

(c)     Landscape waste for all noncommercial residences shall be collected only by the designated refuse disposal contractor for such homes.  Landscape waste for all other uses in the City shall be collected by the scavenger business providing refuse collection for such users, provided, however, that if a landscape service is used, the landscape service company may collect and dispose of the landscape waste as an incidental service to its landscape business, provided that it is done in the manner required by this section.

(d)     No person shall collect landscape waste within the City unless he or she is licensed by the City to engage in a scavenger business or unless he or she is conducting a landscape business, and then only as an incidental service to the primary service of caring for lawns, trees, shrubs, etc.

(e)     It shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1)     Mix landscape waste with any refuse that is intended for collection or disposal at a landfill; or

(2)     Place for collection and pick-up any landscape waste unless it is packaged in the City-approved containers or bags (or an approved alternative for nonresidential uses and for commercial residential units).

(f)     For other than noncommercial residences, a reasonable fee may be imposed by the scavenger for the collection of each landscape waste unit within the City.  For noncommercial residences, the amount charged for refuse collection shall include the collection and pick-up of recyclable materials and landscape waste, as well as refuse.

(g)     Any scavenger who violates any provision of this section shall be subject to appropriate license suspension or revocation proceedings under this chapter.

(Ord. 93-56.  Passed 10-12-93.)
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

frank white

I must have been seeing things when I saw a PW pick up truck pushing leaves into an end loader and then dumping on a tandem dump truck. The City does not encourage the residents to push their leaves into the street but nevertheless the good citizenry still do and nothing is done to them. The amount of leaves are too great for the sweepers to pick up so I believe that is the reason they do this also. Sorry Boris.