Still didn't get to the hardwoods, perfecting the restoration first! (updates)

Started by Bungalocity, August 04, 2009, 02:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

So the floors are put off for a bit because I figure if I'm going thru this much trouble to make my place nice I might as
well do this now when the furniture is out of the LR/DR and I can have my way with my living spaces.

My dad the pro came up from StL and we really spent 2 solid days floating, knocking, gouging, patching and sanding and the walls
are perfect.  The sconce boxes are in place and the walls are ready to paint.  I have about 100 pieces of lumber in the basement
from these 2 rooms I'll do last. Even the massive window sills are out!

Now I figured since I'm doing the window/door/entrance jams I might as well strip the windows and figure out how these
work.  Low and behold, the painted windows and sashes are Fir.  Gotta be a lot more patient as the tanins are darkened
and the wood is very soft compared to the Oak.  

The ropes and weights are a fascinating thing.  The DR 3 windows were converted to chain, and I'm going back to rope!
It's a quieter operation to raise and lower.   The kick-plates are out and what holds the window is the notch on the side that the rope-knot slips into.  Easy as can be.  

So, the Ultra-Orthodox Fundamentalist in me has taken the self-inflicted punishment of meticulous restoration the the max.

Will update with progress as I go along!
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 04, 2009, 02:12:23 PM
The ropes and weights are a fascinating thing.  The DR 3 windows were converted to chain, and I'm going back to rope!
It's a quieter operation to raise and lower.   The kick-plates are out and what holds the window is the notch on the side that the rope-knot slips into.  Easy as can be. 

LOL...and I'm converting rope to chain.  Works better, looks better, lasts longer, and is much easier to implement cuz I can't tie a knot to save my life!

I started, had a slight interruption the last couple months, and will be getting back to it soon.

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=152.msg135332#msg135332
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Damn, your wood looks nice.  That was painted over on the inside??

Classof67

Bungalocity

This beats the hell out of House Hunters.  Your work is just beautiful.  I may have missed some original posts....are the stained glass windows original to the house?  I love the detail and color.

Thanks for taking the time to share your progress.  Keep the photos coming.  Do you have an estimated time of completion?

And Bonster....nice chains!

Jo

Quote from: Classof67 on August 04, 2009, 09:57:40 PM

This beats the hell out of House Hunters. 
Thanks for taking the time to share your progress.  Keep the photos coming.  Do you have an estimated time of completion?

Agreed - I love threads like this. Thanks for sharing!

Bungalocity

Quote from: bonster on August 04, 2009, 03:36:10 PM

Damn, your wood looks nice.  That was painted over on the inside??

Yep, didn't even know it was fir until I stripped the almond paint off.  Super EZ, only a couple layers.
The paint-brush got more off than the scraper!  Makes sense being fir since it's the most impervious
to bug, moisture and sun etc...
so much tannin you could make turpentine from the crystals you see in the light.

Only dilemma is do I bleach or stain only. If I don't bleach it looks more aged. The tannins make it
discolored in places...
-Mark Twain

rbain

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 05, 2009, 04:03:00 PM

so much tannin you could make turpentine from the crystals you see in the light.

That's where turpentine comes from, and you can make it from just about any pine. But I have to say, if I had a still, distilling pine resin to make turp. would be pretty low on the priority list!
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Bungalocity

Bungalocity

This beats the hell out of House Hunters.  Your work is just beautiful.  I may have missed some original posts....are the stained glass windows original to the house?  I love the detail and color.

Yeah we like our whips & chains haha...
I respectfully disagree with the Bons' about chains, the militant purist in me would say those were a product of the post-war cheese, but I really have no idea when chains were popularized...

Thanks for the props on the stripping job, unfortunately the 80/20 rule is in full enforcement here:
     I believe that the last 80% of the work (corners, along the lead frame etc) will yield only 20% of
the results I need.  But hell I've come this far, and I aim to stun!
I'm even keeping an arsenal of 20 toothbrushes on hand to swap one after another for power-corner cleaning.

Hopefully I can achieve this schedule:
Strip windows (6+3) - 2 Weeks
1st layers of walls, prime / paint - 3 days
Sand & Stain jams - 2 days
Stain all windows cherry (fir) - 1 day
Tung Oil Windows & Jams, 3 coats - 1 day
Sand Floors - 2-3 Days
Stain Floors - 1 Day
Poly Floors - 3 Days
Finish Painting walls - 1 Day

(not to mention the 100 pieces in the basement that need to be stripped...avg. 3 per day
after the above mentioned is thru!)

This of course has some time allotted for F-Ups as I'm learning a lot just going along the first time.
But Damnit this is my first house, this is my dream project and it will, be, perfect! hahaah......
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 05, 2009, 04:24:19 PM
I respectfully disagree with the Bons' about chains, the militant purist in me would say those were a product of the post-war cheese, but I really have no idea when chains were popularized...

You may be right.  I always thought chains were used in the nicer ($) homes, with rope being standard bungalow issue. 

When I look at the mill work it almost looks as if tailored to chain-related hardware,
tight rope knots just being made to fit:

(Click to Enlarge)

I guess the true determinant would be the concavity of the pulley - rounded for rope, flatter for chain?  Some of the more exotic ones have metal hoods to hide the pulleys; perhaps those were for the more "exotic" chains. 

Classof67

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 05, 2009, 04:24:19 PM
Bungalocity

Yeah we like our whips & chains haha...

Thanks for the props on the stripping job, unfortunately the 80/20 rule is in full enforcement here:
     I believe that the last 80% of the work (corners, along the lead frame etc) will yield only 20% of
the results I need.  But hell I've come this far, and I aim to stun!
I'm even keeping an arsenal of 20 toothbrushes on hand to swap one after another for power-corner cleaning.

Strip windows (6+3) - 2 Weeks
1st layers of walls, prime / paint - 3 days
Sand & Stain jams - 2 days
Stain all windows cherry (fir) - 1 day
Tung Oil Windows & Jams, 3 coats - 1 day
Sand Floors - 2-3 Days
Stain Floors - 1 Day
Poly Floors - 3 Days
Finish Painting walls - 1 Day

(not to mention the 100 pieces in the basement that need to be stripped...avg. 3 per day
after the above mentioned is thru!)

This of course has some time allotted for F-Ups as I'm learning a lot just going along the first time.
But Damnit this is my first house, this is my dream project and it will, be, perfect! hahaah......

I bow to your amibition and talent.  For anyone that doesn't think dreams can't come true...start dreamin', again.

Please put it on the bungalow tour next year!

Bonster

Quote from: Classof67 on August 05, 2009, 05:16:37 PM
I bow to your amibition and talent.  For anyone that doesn't think dreams can't come true...start dreamin', again.

Please put it on the bungalow tour next year!
+1

Strip windows (6+3) - 8 months
1st layers of walls, prime / paint - 6 days
Sand & Stain jams - 24 days
Stain all windows cherry (fir) - ½ day
Tung Oil Windows & Jams, 3 coats - 6 days (1 day per coat + a day of rest per)
Sand Floors - uggh
Stain Floors - never
Poly Floors - hahaha
Finish Painting walls - ah screw it. 

Bungalocity

Boy I don't know! My notches look the same, the pulleys are rounder.
They're steel, wish they were brass or some precious metal. Guess I'll
have to just polish and be done with it. 

I might get replacement ropes as long as I'm going thru this much trouble.
I have quite a bit of chain throughout here tho.

But no matter what you have we're lucky because we can take these apart the way they
were designed to be self-maintained.  It's just such a cool and simple design.

God I love the 20's.

BTW I ran into a slow-motion wall tonight trying to detail the corners and along the lead, trying to get
the buildup out. So I had to go from 220/150 to 80, and now I'm moving along.

It's a very precise thing and motion to go along the lead frame where it meets glass, and especially the convex
rounded edge of the moulding.
My new  goal is to completely do 1 window set per day for 9 days.
I think now that I know what works efficiently I can move this pace.

Bons, the paint buildup looks scary, I'd be discouraged just looking at it, but all it takes is one out
to get it moving.  But I went thru the trouble to remove everything from my LR/DR.
I have no kids or Mrs, and a butler door isolating the rest of the house so my DR has become my sanding
station with a fan blowing out the window.
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 05, 2009, 10:47:18 PM
Bons, the paint buildup looks scary, I'd be discouraged just looking at it, but all it takes is one out
to get it moving.  

Tell me about it...  :P

upper sash fun...(click to enlarge)

Peel 'n eat...

Scraping...

What a mess...

Bungalocity

OK so my pace of 1 window a day I'm keeping up with.
So all 6 LR are stripped and rough sanded. 3 DR will do
the rest of the week, and fine-tune sand over the weekend
so Monday can be a glorious day of staining.

You'll notice a shot through all 4 pulley cavities with the hardware
being out.  Can you believe a hardware supplier has brass pulleys
for $25 apiece? Christ almighty. I'll just polish my steel originals, thank you.

One thing I'm having issue with is that this fir/pine seems to be very
tannin-darkened over the decades and I'm not sure if I want to bleach
or just stain.  If I don't bleach there will be some discoloration especially
by the joints. I think the moisture took some toll over the years.

I'm afraid bleach will make it look unnatural.....
-Mark Twain

Classof67

That is an incredible job.  Just think how you will feel everyday when you come home and see how beautiful that room is because of your hard work now?  There's your reward.  Keep the photos coming!
Thanks!

Jane

Ed Fitzgerald

You might want to skip the stain and go
directly to tung oil. If you polish the pulleys
spray them with a clear.
-EF
The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times

Bungalocity

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, it's very easy to get frustrated and slow down, the progress is what I have to feed off of...

I'll keep em coming.

BTW I found my color walls at Giordano's O.P. on Chicago Av.
Wonder what the GM's gonna say when I call to get the color haha...

Thanks for the suggestion Ed, if the darkening seen in these pix here
doesn't warm up with Tung alone then I'll have to stain. Will get some
sample stains tonight!
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Bungalocity-

These, inside:

were all covered in paint similiar to the outsides of mine above??

Bungalocity

Oh God no!  That would be scary inside.
I'm sure the outside has more paint for obvious
reasons but I'd never strip that.  The inside fortunately only
had about a couple layers of enamel over the past 40 years.
The flat surfaces are a cinch, as always, it's the channels and grooves
that take the time...
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 12, 2009, 10:22:05 AM
The flat surfaces are a cinch, as always, it's the channels and grooves
that take the time...

True. 

You're making me do more than I want on my interior now.
I was actually going to leave the interiors of the sashes alone for the most part, till I scratched the hell outta one on a rough surface while scraping the exterior.  Guh!