Still didn't get to the hardwoods, perfecting the restoration first! (updates)

Started by Bungalocity, August 04, 2009, 02:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

Forget the exterior for now. Noone sees the detail so paint it white again.
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Normally I'd agree, but I'm doing it out of necessity. 
My windows were painted shut and the multiple layers had to be removed to make them workable.  Add to that much of the glazing is cracked and falling out.
Furthermore the color on the wood storms was either slightly different or more recent so they didn't match the frame color (cream).
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: bonster on August 12, 2009, 11:12:07 AM
Furthermore the color on the wood storms was either slightly different or more recent so they didn't match the frame color (cream).

I'll admit that ^^ may be a bit anal but it bothers me nonetheless.

This was a few years ago but the difference has gotten much greater:

*-I'll add that I don't mind a color difference in storms/frame, but the reason here is age, not purpose. :)

Bungalocity

Haste makes scratches no doubt about that.  It's sooo tough to maintain a consistent level of quality
work when you go thru the yo-yo emotions of enthusiasm, frustration, joy and low-energy. For hours
on end at a time no less! 
When the microscopic droplets of stripper bite your skin like horseflies, you're coughing up wood-dust + (fill in the blanks), you make a slight error that negates some of the work you just did and you wonder to yourself what the hell you're doing all this for, you just have to pull back, resign yourself to "it's just gonna take a bit more time on the back-end if I slow down and have the foresight to see the finale".

You get frustrated and walk away from it for a day, week or month, looking at the mid-progress every day and turning your head away.

The best thing to do at that point is sit down with the Mrs. (if you have one, in my case the Mrs. is Squeak the Cat)
and just say look, we're gonna start this over from scratch, plan on living like animals for a few weeks, move all the furniture out and seal off the rest of the domain from dust and make it your mission for the month.

Zen and the Art of House Restoration!  A whole book could be written on the every-day thoughts that go with a project of this scale.

But now I feel like I'm finally at the half-way mark as I just got around to trying to perfect the first window I stripped. My errors are obvious, and that is I didn't sand all the Fir with 220 the way I could have.

Now I know for the remaining 8. So it's gonna take a bit longer that's OK cuz now I have a model to look at!
Zar's Rosewood for the Oak Jambs, and Early American for the fir, because it should be more cherry-like.
It's hard to see the differences because even as a photographer I'm confounded by how stained wood never shoots accurately. In reality the Oak is much darker than it appears here and a bit less red.

2 thick coats of Tung Oil rubbed in and buffed to perfection. Maybe I'll do a 3rd coat again before the final reassembly and new stops......
-Mark Twain

buzz

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 15, 2009, 02:38:34 PM
The best thing to do at that point is sit down with the Mrs. (if you have one, in my case the Mrs. is Squeak the Cat)
So where's a pic of the poor tortured cat ?  I like cats.  Talk to them all the time.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bungalocity

-Mark Twain

Classof67

Haste makes scratches no doubt about that.  It's sooo tough to maintain a consistent level of quality
work when you go thru the yo-yo emotions of enthusiasm, frustration, joy and low-energy. For hours
When the microscopic droplets of stripper bite your skin like horseflies, you're coughing up wood-dust + (fill in the blanks), you make a slight error that negates some of the work you just did and you wonder to yourself what the hell you're doing all this for, you just have to pull back, resign yourself to "it's just gonna take a bit more time on the back-end if I slow down and have the foresight to see the finale".

You get frustrated and walk away from it for a day, week or month, looking at the mid-progress every day and turning your head away.

and just say look, we're gonna start this over from scratch, plan on living like animals for a few weeks, move all the furniture out and seal off the rest of the domain from dust and make it your mission for the month.

Zen and the Art of House Restoration!  A whole book could be written on the every-day thoughts that go with a project of this scale.

But now I feel like I'm finally at the half-way mark as I just got around to trying to perfect the first window I stripped. My errors are obvious, and that is I didn't sand all the Fir with 220 the way I could have.

Now I know for the remaining 8. So it's gonna take a bit longer that's OK cuz now I have a model to look at!
Zar's Rosewood for the Oak Jambs, and Early American for the fir, because it should be more cherry-like.
It's hard to see the differences because even as a photographer I'm confounded by how stained wood never shoots accurately. In reality the Oak is much darker than it appears here and a bit less red.

2 thick coats of Tung Oil rubbed in and buffed to perfection. Maybe I'll do a 3rd coat again before the final reassembly and new stops......

Good..you're pacing yourself.  Sounds like you're doing everything the right way.  Don't forget to get out and take in some big deep breaths of fresh air every once in awhile.  The Windows are FAB!  The window lock is beautiful with detail.  Nice SQUEAK, too!

Ed Fitzgerald

They are beautiful, but Class is right, don't
let the project consume you.
-EF
The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times

Bonster

Well put.
When I did that I went from extreme high to extreme low.  I had finally stripped the bulk of the paint off my 1st window, turned it over, saw the stratches, and sank.  Yet the beauty of this is now I haven't a choice but to refinish the insides.  Can't do just one, of course.  Not aiming for Bungalocity quality (yet (windows + hardware less ornate)), but there are portions of each sash interior which certainly could use a li'l TLC.

QuoteYou get frustrated and walk away from it for a day, week or month, looking at the mid-progress every day and turning your head away.
And that is SO easy to do when you have multiple other projects screaming for your attention!

Bungalocity

Aww hehe I got bogged down with work/vacation and I'm back in action again.
I'll wait until I get the first coat of paint (necessary before floors are done
for logical reasons) to snap a few more.

I will say this, an interesting phenom:
I stained the oak jambs and when I went to tung oil them, i used a glove I hadn't used
for awhile and it had some stripper/paint residue on them, the tung oil reactivated the
gunk and actually stripped off splotches of stain! Wow was I pissed. FOrtunately it's
only one top section. I need to mask off the 2 verticals and restrip.

As for paint, I found my perfect color and the lighting scheme will be almost identical to
my LR....Oak Park Giordanno's!!
-Mark Twain

Bungalocity

-Mark Twain

Classof67

Quote from: Bungalocity on September 14, 2009, 12:18:46 PM
Aww hehe I got bogged down with work/vacation and I'm back in action again.
I'll wait until I get the first coat of paint (necessary before floors are done
for logical reasons) to snap a few more.

I will say this, an interesting phenom:
I stained the oak jambs and when I went to tung oil them, i used a glove I hadn't used
for awhile and it had some stripper/paint residue on them, the tung oil reactivated the
gunk and actually stripped off splotches of stain! Wow was I pissed. FOrtunately it's
only one top section. I need to mask off the 2 verticals and restrip.

As for paint, I found my perfect color and the lighting scheme will be almost identical to
my LR....Oak Park Giordanno's!!

Good Morning:

What do you mean you working and vacationing?  :)

I don't know why I never saw this update.  You had to have gone CRAZY when you saw the reaction from the stripper/paint residue on your glove and the oil.  Glad you caught it in time.

Classof67

Quote from: Bungalocity on October 15, 2009, 01:21:51 AM
This sucker got under my skin.
Fir is a colossal PITA.....

The living room windows are spectacular.  The stained glass looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright design...lucky you!  I bet they're great when the sunlight goes through them.  I love your hardwood floors.  Were they exposed when youbought the house or covered with carpeting?

Keep up the good work.  Bungalow Tour 2010!

Robert Pauly

Beautiful work - I did something similar a few years back and don't envy you a bit.  No power sander?

Bonster

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bungalocity

Well yes, a splinter over 1cm into my skin. Normally I can take my straight pin and dig a moat
around it to pull it but it was completely submerged so I had to use ice to numb me up, then
I could go further.  I almost puked when I saw how long it was coming out!

Yes on the powersander, palm, not circular.  Then I learned that because the Fir is so soft
you can't sand it by fingers so I made some custom blocks to fit into the window contours.
But used a handle sander 80/220 on the final run to keep the plane.  But the joinery is always
a little rotted from years of moisture, where the pieces meet. So it'll look weathered. What the
hell, don't want it to look new anyway....

After all the wall-floating and knockouts the LR looks frighteningly perfect, my old man put his years of
knowledge into this with me and it came out fab, like drywall.
I used Behr ultra-flat (no enamel) and is so hiding it's great.

Windows:  I've seen at least 15 houses in Berwyn with this pattern.  There's even a guy in A.H. that has this
template in his window designs (custom stain-glass guy.  A lady at the Bungalow expo told me this is Berwyn exclusive...

I did explode when I saw the stripper on the gloves. It was when I was oiling the wood.  I got so pissed I got the sander out again and stripped it from scratch! But an oak jamb can take that abuse very well so what the hell, it's just time.

And finally I just sniped this auction on Ebay for $104!  I'm going to do a sage-olive in the DR so this will fit like a glove.  It's a Moe Bridges original from 1930...
-Mark Twain

Bungalocity

Just a note to those interested:

It looks like the time has finally come where I have a date set to tackle the hardwoods.
Monday I should be able to get to Jack's to grab the Clarke machine and edger.

This past week I have been stripping under the radiators by hand, steel wooling with
stripper wash and sanding with 60 grt.

the last of the little stuff I'll move out Sunday!

It's been a long time coming so I'll keep you all updated with hopefully pix, thoughts and notations
on the progress....
-Mark Twain

Nazerac