News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Feldco Windows

Started by Boris, November 16, 2005, 11:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

Just about to sign a deal with Feldco to replace some of my windows...the salesman showed me a 4 page long document, with about 30 lines per page, of all the jobs they've done in Berwyn.

Anybody here have something to say about Feldco? All input is appreciated.

Thanks-

WOOF!
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Paul Fuentes

BlackDog:

What is your average cost per window?  Do not know what kind of a home you have, but if you have "average" sized windows (i.e. 54" to 66" high x 28" to 36" wide) and are paying more than $300 per window, materials and labor included, you need to shop around.

Bob the Builder

treeguy

300 per window!  Yeah right.  Maybe for bottom of the barrel vinyl.  In the past month,  have had 3 quotes for replacing my the windows in my 1939 brick georgian.  High quality, wooden windows that exactly match the current light design, with matching brushed nickel spoon locks and pulls START at $900 a piece installed.  We had Renewal by Anderson, Pella, and Milgard all give us quotes, and 900 per window was the cheapest.  And even with all that money spent, the windows will still be a pretty radical departure from what the originals look like.  I am now investigating having the windows rehabbed and the storms replaced.

Paul Fuentes

Feldco is NOT the same quality you describe Tree.  They are vinyl.

OakParkSpartan

Tree, there is a place called Sashes Etc that rebuilds windows.  There's also one other vendor that I recall seeing.

Check out www.chicagobungalow.org for some additional info.  Looks like their forums are all empty now :-(

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

treeguy

Thanks - John from Just Sashes will be coming out to give me a quote Saturday morning.  I will report on how things go.

Boris

We are getting vinyl replacements...standard sizes. Low-E glass, double-pane-argon filled, insulated frames. All exterior woodwork insulated and capped. 10 windows- $3980, installed.

Pella and Anderson wanted 3 times that amount. I have made 2 appointment with Just Sashes for the front windows, which I want rebuilt rather than replaced, but they have broken both apppointments. I will try a third time, then no more, is there ayone other than Just Sashes?

Bear

Boris I would try redoing the front windows myself...
It'S not that hard to do
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Boris

The front windows (11 of them) are 100 year-old oak sashes with leaded glass...I want an insured expert to work on them, they're too precious:

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=131.msg1047#msg1047

Terri

Boris,

I need a window recommendation and saw your post.  Did you end up using Feldco, were you happy?  They are coming next week for an estimate.  We need to replace the front picture window, kitchen and sun room, all originals and leaky.

Thanks,
Terri

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on November 17, 2005, 09:34:32 AM
BlackDog:

What is your average cost per window?  Do not know what kind of a home you have, but if you have "average" sized windows (i.e. 54" to 66" high x 28" to 36" wide) and are paying more than $300 per window, materials and labor included, you need to shop around.

Bob the Builder

Padrino,

For once, you make sense.

In his younger days, the Panther used to sell replacement windows and vinyl siding.

Whatever you do, be wary of the companies who give you "quotes" with the accompanying sob story that makes that price good ONLY TODAY.

By way of illustration, I'll offer the following:

12 square house needs vinyl siding. Actual cost with insulation was appx $150/sq., or $1800.00 Our beginning price sheet cost was $365/sq., for a $4380.00 total. We would then add  $3500.00 to that total for a price of $7880.00 to the homeowner and then execute the first big price drop of about $1500.00 or so for a discounted price of $6380.00. If we caught the homeower at this price, it was an appx $4500.00 profit. If the owner balked, we then executed a second, smaller drop of about $500.00 or so to bring the price to $5880.00. If it sold here, we made a $4000.00 profit. In the meantime, we've also showed him a lower quality product for right around "our cost" of $4380.00. If the homeowner balked after the second drop as well, we did a modified bait and switch where we would give the "top" product for the cost of the "lower quality", of course ONLY if they signed TODAY!!!! Even at this price, we made a nice $2880.00 profit. The above excluded soffit, fascia, gutters, and window capping. You kind of get the picture about the enormous profit on these jobs.

I would steer clear of any salesman employing the above or similar technique. Also, be wary of companies like Sidex, All Star, and All Pro, and/or basically any of the companies located on NW Hwy in Chicago. Clifford Windows (Mt. Prospect) is even worse.

p.s. for those interested in siding (if there are any) a quick way to measure how many squares your house is comprised of is to count the total number of windows.

Bob Villa
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Boris

I had 10 windows replaced by Feldco. Overall I would rate them a solid 9 (10 being best). The only reason that I'm not giving them a 10 is that Leonel, our salesman, pulled the "this price is only good until Monday..." trick, but when I told him I had three other companies coming to bid the job, and named them (mention The Window Guys...they're right down the street from Feldco), he got a bit softer.

All-in-all, I'm very happy. Good price- just a tad under $400/window (double-pane/argon-filled/low-E glass/insulated frames...etc)...but the most important thing: the installers were top-notch. These guys did almost everything from the outside, barely left footprints in the house, and were in promptly at 8, and cleaned-up/caulked/capped and on their way by 4.

I woould recommend the highly.

WOOF

Terri

Boris,

Thanks. Feldco will give us an estimate Thurs. I had one from a well known company in Berwyn, I need to compare prices.  Glad to know the installation was good.

Panther,

Interesting to know about the mark-up on siding.  When the money tree replenishes itself, that is our next big purchase. Thanks to you too. 

Terri

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

No problem Terri. Before you do any siding work, let me know. But I've got a funny feeling you'll be talking to me much sooner than that.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Beans

Michael Moore Construction just fished our roof - killer job and price!

He also does windows - anyone check with him before inking contracts?

He's got the best crew in town and he is Uber-Professional.

scoon

I was just given a tap on the rear to post about our experience with Feldco....

The salesman was a little pushy, which was to be expected, but he made us a fair deal if we let them put a sign in front.  Feldco wasn't the cheapest, but we feel the quality of window and the financing plan they offered was worth the extra money. 

We replaced all of our windows...  and replaced our picture windows in front and back with a bow and a bay respectively.  They look fantastic.  Friends and neighbors love them as much as we do.

We can't wait until it's warm enough to open them everyday.

We also got quotes from Moore and Gilkey... they were good but we didn't like the R ratings on their windows.

Terri

They look fabulous! 

Just driving by, not stalking.
Terri

menace2society

Scoon...you don't happen to live on Oak Park Ave, west side, near the Y, do you?  If you don't mind me asking, what does a bow window cost?  How many windows in the front did it replace?  3?  Thanks!

scoon

Menace,

I guess the sign works...  that's the house.  The bow in front replaced two double hungs and one picture.  Same with the bay in back.  I'll have to get back to you on the cost.

menace2society

I saw the trailer there when they were installing the windows (was it last week?  my days are mixed up)  i've been eyeing a nice bow window to replace my 3 double hung.