News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

R.I.P. Roach

Started by Bonster, March 24, 2009, 09:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Troy "Roach" Coates...
(3/01/1966 - 3/21/2009)

Former PLAGUE/LUNGBRUSH/Stunt Double Jesus/Rising Up Angry/Ghost of the Underground singer Troy "Roach" Coates has died after suffering from a rare form of adrenal cancer. He celebrated his 43rd birthday on March 1st.

"Roach fought to get metal and all heavy/hardcore music back to the forefront of the Chicago music scene and into the bigger venues like The Metro and The House of Blues. Lungbrush and Roach worked endlessly to unite Chicago bands, and due to his persistence with people such as Joe Shanahan from The Metro, bands like DISTURBED, SOIL, MACABRE, 5 POINT O, RELATIVE ASH, YAKUZA (and the list goes on) were given a chance. These larger venues were selling out shows, bands were getting signed to good record deals, and the next generation of metal had a path to follow."

Roach's MySpace page adds: "Psycho frontman for metal bands, loving husband to Tina and caring father. Union painter. I would love to pursue acting and comedy. One day hope to counsel people with alcohol and drug addictions."

Roach was born on March 1st in Chicago, Illinois.  The firstborn son, of Greek and Irish heritage, he has 3 other sisters, Mary, Elethea and Lea.  Because he was always hyper, loud, talkative and animated, he was encouraged by his peers to front a rock band.  Influenced by early hardcore, punk and metal, he was one of the pioneers of crossover in the Chicago music scene.  His previous bands include the Plague, Lungbrush, Stunt Double Jesus, and Rising Up Angry.  As part of his healing process through cancer treatment, he is utilizing his time on disability in a positive manner by participating in his latest musical project, Ghost of the Underground.

It's not easy to forget Roach once you see him – his look alone is enough to make an imprint on your brain.  With three skull tattoos on his head, the only hair on his head springs from a tattoo on the side called "Mama Skull".  Throughout the trends in rock, he has always stayed true to his own image, never compromising.  Lively and comical, he always leaves an unforgettable impression wherever he goes.

Through personal relationships and experiences, Roach writes about life on life's terms; things we can all relate to – anguish, confusion, pain, addiction, lust, etc.  Rough and raw, his voice is full of power; his enunciation allows the listener to actually understand what he is singing about.  Always operating with high intensity, Roach works the crowd into a frenzy with his crazy antics and explosive stage presence.  His passion is to deliver the best hardcore metal to the nation.  Unity has always been his mission, and always will be.

the story:
http://www.rockforroach.com/WhatHappened.html

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scungili

Damn ... I didn't think I'd be reading Roach's "obit" this morning.  That sucks, he was one of the most visible (and vocal) proponents of Windy City Hardcore.  I think I bought the Plague cassette at Metro after a show (can't remember who else was on the bill at the moment) but didn't follow Roach's career after Lungbrush.  I didn't know him personally, but met him a few times (non show related) and always enjoyed those conversations.

menace2society

I think he moved to Florida for awhile and ended up moving back here.  This sucks.  He was a Thirsty Whale mainstay!