News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Sharon Jones @ Bluesfest ...

Started by scungili, June 10, 2009, 12:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scungili

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings hit the Petrillo Music Shell this coming Sunday at Bluesfest!  Ms. Jones can SING! and the band is tight & funky as all get out.

Great Song ... couldn't find an actual performance of it though ... but the spazzy kid is kinda fun to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/v/VzTTqWS30i4&hl=en&fs=1&

Some soulful live footage from French television:
http://www.youtube.com/v/s0iGhFwZx6c&hl=en&fs=1&

Bonster

Quote from: scungili on June 10, 2009, 12:22:29 PM
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings hit the Petrillo Music Shell this coming Sunday at Bluesfest!  Ms. Jones can SING! and the band is tight & funky as all get out.

Great Song ... couldn't find an actual performance of it though ... but the spazzy kid is kinda fun to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/v/VzTTqWS30i4&hl=en&fs=1&

dAMN, can't blame the kid.  I started spasin' out listening to that, too.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

As peculiar as z french are, it is amazing how many blues people
have to go there FIRST to make a name for themselves...

Same held true for Hendrix
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

scungili

@ bonster - hee hee ... true, very true.

@ bear - it is strange that Americans often overlook musicians from our own backyard.   I wonder if it works the opposite way as well ... Japan's infatuation with american culture has produced some rockin garage rock bands ... and the hipster crowd goes ape over here.   The Stones & Zeppelin (and many other classic rock staples) craved American blues more than Americans did at the time ... and then after we were "re-intoduced" to it we started doing it too.  Hmmmm ... maybe we just need that "IMPORT" stamp on it to make us pay attention.

Local bands I know have had great tours in Europe whereas they play to maybe 20 people on a Thurs. night in some dive bar around town.  They've said the people in England, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, etc. were genuinely excited to see them even though, at times, they had no idea who they were.  It was the fact that they were a rock band from America that excited them.

The Dap Kings are a bad-ass band on their own.  Apparently, they're kinda like the Nouveau Booker T & the Mg's in that they are the "house band" for Daptone records - so they back several of the artists on that label.  Amy winehouse owes alot to these guys - IMO - becasue they're the ones who laid down the music on her Back to Black album.

buzz

Europe was welcoming our artists long before anyone yet mentioned.  You can go back to Josephine Baker and Little Brother Montgomery, pre-WWII.  Then with the 50's look at the ablums recorded in Copenhagen.. Ella, Sarah Vaughan, Satchmo, Anita O'Day, dozens of jazz folks.  Great stuff.
Now you've got me started, I'll be dragging out the old vinyl.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

scungili

Besides the artistic community & artistic freedom that those jazz greats experienced abroad ... alot of it had to do with race relations.