News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Vacant Comcast building

Started by buzz, November 09, 2010, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

I keep hearing rumors that this place has been sold.  Stanley & East.
Anyone else ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

whitesoxfan

The rumor I heard was that Buona has a contract offer on the place. Different things have been told to me but from what I understand is that they are looking to do some sort of meat packing. Also have been told that it would have some sort of a catering store front like Turano has for their bakery. One last thing that I heard is 150  employees.

Who knows if any is completely true but I know for a fact that they do have very good interest
Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook

buzz

Say it isn't so.
Boner beef is the biggest TIF whore in the city.  Is that location ( North side of the rr tracks ) a TIF area ?

The Jackal

That "whoring" exists because it's enabled by somebody, no?

whitesoxfan

New news on the vacant Comcast building. Apparently, it has finally been leased out. They are putting in RC race courses there. Spoke to the guy who is going to be opening up and I guess it is a very popular hobby. TIF money has been granted for this project also. From what I understand, it wasn't a real lot of $$$ so don't expect any big changes on the facade.
Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook

Ted

Quote from: whitesoxfan on October 01, 2011, 03:42:48 PM
New news on the vacant Comcast building. Apparently, it has finally been leased out. They are putting in RC race courses there. Spoke to the guy who is going to be opening up and I guess it is a very popular hobby. TIF money has been granted for this project also. From what I understand, it wasn't a real lot of $$$ so don't expect any big changes on the facade.

What is an "RC race course" ? 

I didn't think the Depot District TIF extended that far east north of the tracks?

watcher

Quote from: Ted on October 02, 2011, 07:43:57 AM
  What is an "RC race course" ? 

I didn't think the Depot District TIF extended that far east north of the tracks?

Radio Controlled. Scale model cars, trucks, motorcycles...

Back in the day, they were known as slot car tracks. Now, no slot required.

Silly Wabbit!...TIF money is for whatever purpose EXCEPT the rightful, intended ones.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

I knew a "railroader" who had trains all over his basement, and although the number of "railroaders" is small they spend a fortune on their hobby.
  Is this RC industry similar ?  Are their other racetracks ?

watcher

Quote from: buzz on October 02, 2011, 09:47:37 AM
I knew a "railroader" who had trains all over his basement, and although the number of "railroaders" is small they spend a fortune on their hobby.
  Is this RC industry similar ?  Are their other racetracks ?

The average R/C clientele is father and kids. Not sure if it's because of weekend Dads or just a shared interest.
In some areas it's a popular dating activity. And of course every hobby shop has its core group of usual suspects who
just hang around and talk shop.

I had a friend who opened a R/C shop in Bradenton, FL in the early 90s. Made a go of it, but carrying enough inventory was costly. I'd think that w/ the internet as it is now,  shelving stock would be easier. w/Next day/overnight shipping and online catalogs, the overhead is a lot easier to control.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

dualref

There was a model shop on Cermak just west of Austin (SS of the street) that had RC cars and a small track for kids to come in and race their cars. It was pretty popular. This was back around 1967 or so.