News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Cake Bros. Bakery

Started by nativeson, January 11, 2012, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeson

Looks like that new Cake Bros. location is up and running on 26th just east of Oak Park Avenue...  anybody check it out yet?

AmazonAnne

Yes and they are really, really good!!! They do specialty cakes, not sweet, just right, use good quality ingredients, I recommend them!!!

exPROPer

Got a cake from there over the holidays and our group all agreed it was excellent. 

nativeson

Mmmmmm...  sounds great!  Can't wait to try them myself...  looks like a great addition to the community.  I love their name...  it says it all!

scoon

I'm assuming that this isn't the kind of place I can walk in and pick up a cake last minute...  I would have to order in advance?  Their website isn't the most descriptive.

frankvdv

This is the second try for a bakery here. Once again, they are parking illegally, forcing cars on 26th St going westbound to sometimes be in the left turn lane unnecessarily. They are also parking illegally in the 7-11 parking lot. It's unfortunate that this happens, but what can be done?

exPROPer

You don't have to pre-order.  We went in and got a b-day cake personalized right away.  They also have other bakery items.  Parking is tricky on 26th, of course.

scoon

Cool!  Thanks exPROPer.

I was just thinking that getting a bday cake today might be nice but time is limited.

As for parking...  my fat ass lives close enough to walk.  And if my fat ass is gonna get cake, my fat ass better be walking to get it.

AmazonAnne

Every saturday we go there for their chocolate covered strawberries...I recommend them

Bonster

Quote from: scoon on January 12, 2012, 08:45:00 AM
Cool!  Thanks exPROPer.

I was just thinking that getting a bday cake today might be nice but time is limited

You have two weeks yet ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk while sitting on the crapper
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

justin

Since Cake Bros is right around the corner from our house, we bought a cake for our friend's birthday. She's a Boston Red Sox fan and Cake Bros added the Boston logo to the basball themed cake. Everyone at the party enjoyed the cake. It was very tasty! We'll be back.

~LL~

Quote from: nativeson on January 12, 2012, 06:03:00 AM
Mmmmmm...  sounds great!  Can't wait to try them myself...  looks like a great addition to the community.  I love their name...  it says it all!

I'm not really 'down' with the name at all  - and curious what nativeson means by, "...it says it all.".

The recent chalk drawing of a birthday cake on a sandwich board on the sidewalk in front of this shop looked to me very similar to the LK crown - per how the 'candles' were arranged, etc. But, I well could be wrong.  However, the 'style' of the drawing is one I've seen defacing many a garage around town...
The "Bros" just does not make me want to even give their products a try.  Besdies, most commercial baked goods have tasted not so good to me for a while - and I wonder which ingredients are being altered or 'cut' with something to save $$'s. 
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bonster

Quote from: ~LL~ on January 18, 2012, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: nativeson on January 12, 2012, 06:03:00 AM

I'm not really 'down' with the name at all  - and curious what nativeson means by, "...it says it all.".

The recent chalk drawing of a birthday cake on a sandwich board on the sidewalk in front of this shop looked to me very similar to the LK crown - per how the 'candles' were arranged, etc. But, I well could be wrong.  However, the 'style' of the drawing is one I've seen defacing many a garage around town...
The "Bros" just does not make me want to even give their products a try.  Besdies, most commercial baked goods have tasted not so good to me for a while - and I wonder which ingredients are being altered or 'cut' with something to save $$'s.

lol...

Bros is short for Brothers, not "Bros" as in "sup, bro"

What do you mean by "commercial baked goods"?  Stuff not baked on premises?   

Bonster

~LL~

Quote from: Bonster on January 18, 2012, 03:18:33 PM
lol...

R U sure bout the 'Bros' part?  Wouldn't take much to write out the word "Brothers" on their storefront if not - and they had to know how some might interpret the "Bros".  I sure thought it was deliberate/on purpose.
That being said -by "commercial baked goods" I mean anything NOT homemade...in other words -- all 'retail' baked goods and packaged baked goods (cookies, etc.)
Funny, almost perfumey and sometimes 'metallic' lingering taste is what I've experienced.  Same goes for items such as Sarah Lee or Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes and pies.  Yuk! 

AmazonAnne

Reading too much into it LL......dont knock the place until you actually have had a pastry from there.

~LL~

Quote from: AmazonAnne on January 18, 2012, 04:49:08 PM
Reading too much into it LL......dont knock the place until you actually have had a pastry from there.

I'll pass - but hope they do well.

Terri

Quote from: ~LL~ on January 18, 2012, 04:48:38 PM
Quote from: Bonster on January 18, 2012, 03:18:33 PM
lol...

R U sure bout the 'Bros' part?  Wouldn't take much to write out the word "Brothers" on their storefront if not - and they had to know how some might interpret the "Bros".  I sure thought it was deliberate/on purpose.
That being said -by "commercial baked goods" I mean anything NOT homemade...in other words -- all 'retail' baked goods and packaged baked goods (cookies, etc.)
Funny, almost perfumey and sometimes 'metallic' lingering taste is what I've experienced.  Same goes for items such as Sarah Lee or Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes and pies.  Yuk!

Lack of butter, my taste buds are sure of it.

nativeson

I guess I like the name because it kind of reminds me of Burny Bros.  As I recall, Burny always used the abbreviation for "brothers" in their logo, although they did use a period which is missing from the "Cake Bros" logo.  Still, I took "Cake Bros" to mean "Cake Brothers" which, I feel, has a nice sound to it.  When I said the name "says it all", I merely meant that
"Cake Bros" lets you know instantly what their specialty is...  seems like a strong brand that's clever, sophisticated and memorable.  (As long-time Chicagoans will also remember, "Polk Bros" did indeed stand for "Polk Brothers".  For some reason, proper punctuation is often left out of logos...  "Walgreens" is a good example.)