News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Cake Bros. Bakery

Started by nativeson, January 11, 2012, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: ~LL~ on January 18, 2012, 04:48:38 PM
R U sure bout the 'Bros' part? Wouldn't take much to write out the word "Brothers" on their storefront if not - and they had to know how some might interpret the "Bros".  I sure thought it was deliberate/on purpose.

100%.   When they answer the phone the say "Cake Brothers."   Their Facebook URL is facebook.com/cakebrothers, the header has a period: "Cake Bros. Bakery"      Not for a second did I think "bro."  "Bros" short for "brothers" is an old classic from "back in the day."   Maybe it's a Chicago thing.   I think you're jaded by crime in da hood.  Interpreting candles as gang signs?? 

Quote from: nativeson on January 18, 2012, 06:21:16 PM
(As long-time Chicagoans will also remember, "Polk Bros" did indeed stand for "Polk Brothers". )

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.   I've attached an old furniture receipt of my Dad's from Polk Bros.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

That being said -by "commercial baked goods" I mean anything NOT homemade...in other words -- all 'retail' baked goods and packaged baked goods (cookies, etc.)
Funny, almost perfumey and sometimes 'metallic' lingering taste is what I've experienced.  Same goes for items such as Sarah Lee or Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes and pies.  Yuk!

There is a HUGE difference between Sara Lee/Pepperidge Farms and something made at a bakery.  Pepperidge Farms is like a factory; mass produced.  Getting something from Kirschbaum's is probably better than 75% of most home baked items (at least in these parts, ppl using "cake mix.") and would be made to order, nothing being frozen.  Ever.   I'm not saying Cake Bros. is like that, but a real, quality bakery like Kirschbaum's is not so much "retail" as it is "custom." 

nativeson

Bonster...  what a blast seeing that old Polk Bros. receipt of your dad's!  Dig those crazy prices from back in the day, Daddy-O...  I see that the Polk Brothers did use a period after the abbreviation.  I thought there may have been a few instances when "Bros" appeared without the period in some of Polk's advertising and signage, but I could be wrong.  Time clouds one's feeble memory, you know!  I know I'm getting away from the original topic (which I began), but memories of Polk Bros. brings to mind Berwyn's own version of Polk's which was Cufco on Ogden.  My folks bought everything from Fedders air conditioners to La-Z-Boy loungers there.  Merwyn Claver (son of Harry) and Howard Chimberoff (sp?) were the owners as I remember.  Cufco stood for Central Utilities and Furniture Co. which started out in a storefront on Grove next to the old Roxy Theatre, then moved across the street to the building immediately north of the new DD parking garage.  That building later housed Motive Parts, then was the headquarters for a local chapter of Junior Achievement, and then housed a printing company called Direct Service owned by the Recht family.  Now, it's a professional office.  At one point though, in the seventies, while it was between respectable tenants, it was raided by authorities in the wee hours to break up a Mob-run gambling operation that had set up shop in the back of the empty building, well-hidden from the public.  Boy, do I digress!

Bonster

Quote from: nativeson on January 19, 2012, 07:42:36 AM
Bonster...  what a blast seeing that old Polk Bros. receipt of your dad's!  Dig those crazy prices from back in the day, Daddy-O...  I see that the Polk Brothers did use a period after the abbreviation. I thought there may have been a few instances when "Bros" appeared without the period in some of Polk's advertising and signage, but I could be wrong.

You are correct.  The signage on the buildings had no period.   
The back side of the receipt below calls it both "Polk Brothers" and "Polk's"!  Three naming conventions on one piece of paper, LOL.

Here's a book about the place:

berwynguy

Quote from: Bonster on January 18, 2012, 06:40:38 PM
R U sure bout the 'Bros' part? Wouldn't take much to write out the word "Brothers" on their storefront if not - and they had to know how some might interpret the "Bros".  I sure thought it was deliberate/on purpose.

100%.   When they answer the phone the say "Cake Brothers."   Their Facebook URL is facebook.com/cakebrothers, the header has a period: "Cake Bros. Bakery"      Not for a second did I think "bro."  "Bros" short for "brothers" is an old classic from "back in the day."   Maybe it's a Chicago thing.   I think you're jaded by crime in da hood.  Interpreting candles as gang signs?? 

Quote from: nativeson on January 18, 2012, 06:21:16 PM
(As long-time Chicagoans will also remember, "Polk Bros" did indeed stand for "Polk Brothers". )

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.   I've attached an old furniture receipt of my Dad's from Polk Bros.

Jeez Louise......I can't believe we are debating the use of the abbreviation of the word "Bros" in a business name as having some gang meaning.   ::)

Bonster is 100% right, it's an old fashioned thing.  You guys know I'm into all this old crap.  Well in old directories you will see "Bros" after business names a lot.

Step away from the police scanner occasionally, it will do you some good. 

By the way Bonster, LOVE the old Polk Bros. recipt!  8)
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

berwynguy

Quote from: nativeson on January 19, 2012, 07:42:36 AM
Bonster...  what a blast seeing that old Polk Bros. receipt of your dad's!  Dig those crazy prices from back in the day, Daddy-O...  I see that the Polk Brothers did use a period after the abbreviation.  I thought there may have been a few instances when "Bros" appeared without the period in some of Polk's advertising and signage, but I could be wrong.  Time clouds one's feeble memory, you know!  I know I'm getting away from the original topic (which I began), but memories of Polk Bros. brings to mind Berwyn's own version of Polk's which was Cufco on Ogden.  My folks bought everything from Fedders air conditioners to La-Z-Boy loungers there.  Merwyn Claver (son of Harry) and Howard Chimberoff (sp?) were the owners as I remember.  Cufco stood for Central Utilities and Furniture Co. which started out in a storefront on Grove next to the old Roxy Theatre, then moved across the street to the building immediately north of the new DD parking garage.  That building later housed Motive Parts, then was the headquarters for a local chapter of Junior Achievement, and then housed a printing company called Direct Service owned by the Recht family.  Now, it's a professional office.  At one point though, in the seventies, while it was between respectable tenants, it was raided by authorities in the wee hours to break up a Mob-run gambling operation that had set up shop in the back of the empty building, well-hidden from the public.  Boy, do I digress!

Bruce, I am going to take this a bit off topic (nothing new for BTF), but you have such detailed knowledge of the Depot District.  Do you remember, or have pictures of Beranek Pontiac when they were on 33rd & Grove where the condo building is now?  I grew up in North Berwyn and NEVER went to the Depot area until I was working at Jack Phelan Chevrolet when I was 19-21 years old.  In about 1997 I went to pick something up at the old Beranek building and was absolutely blown away by the huge old porcelain neon Pontiac sign with the Indian head which had to date from the 1950s.  I wish I had taken a picture of it. 

The Jackal

I remember that Indian head logo...and the dealership.

berwynguy

Quote from: The Jackal on January 19, 2012, 12:30:53 PM
I remember that Indian head logo...and the dealership.

I can't even imagine a car dealership in the Depot District.  The area is so secluded from the world outside of Berwyn.  They must have COMPLETELY relied on business just from Berwyn residents or refearls.  That totally illustrates the demographics and economic power of Berwyn residents of that era.  The concept of a dealership in such a secluded area is absolutely unthinkable today. 

The Jackal

Yes, but Uptown (Depot District) was the main commercial corridor in Berwyn back then.

berwynguy

Quote from: The Jackal on January 19, 2012, 02:48:04 PM
Yes, but Uptown (Depot District) was the main commercial corridor in Berwyn back then.

Absolutely NOT.  The main commercial corridor of Berwyn was Cermak Rd.  HANDS DOWN.  "Uptown" may have been the commercial corridor for Berwyn, but that was from 1890-1920. 

Wilson

The Pontiac dealer location on Grove Avenue was only parts and service for many years.  The new car showroom was on Ogden Avenue.  At one time sales was also at the Grove location but I don't know when they moved sales to Ogden.  I know they did not sell cars at that location at least since 1978.

The old Indian head ended up in the upstairs office in storage.  Only the vertical Pontiac sign remained. 

The dealer was sold from George Beranek to Stan Balzekas III and then to Don Bovino who lost the the Pontiac franchise sometime in the 90's.  Both the Saab and Pontiac franchises were bought by West Suburban VW, Alfa Romeo in Maywood, and the the Berwyn location was closed.  West Suburban had the Pontiac franchised pulled by GM for writing fraudulent warranty claims.

When Bovino owned the dealer in Berwyn, he hired an outside company to do a parts inventory.  The old upstairs offices were full of new old stock Pontiac parts going back to cars from the 50's and 60"s.  The guy that owned the inventory company made Bovino an offer and bought all the parts...and the old indian head sign.

I do have pictures of the sign on and off the building.  I will post them if I can find them.

pkd50

Uptown was IT for South Berwyn.   It was very walkable with the kids.  Things on Cermak were spread out to far to walk with little kids.  I usually went to a specific store.  Parked the car near there got what I needed and left.  Uptown for me was almost a daily trip.

berwynguy

Quote from: Wilson on January 19, 2012, 03:30:18 PM
The Pontiac dealer location on Grove Avenue was only parts and service for many years.  The new car showroom was on Ogden Avenue.  At one time sales was also at the Grove location but I don't know when they moved sales to Ogden.  I know they did not sell cars at that location at least since 1978.

The old Indian head ended up in the upstairs office in storage.  Only the vertical Pontiac sign remained. 

The dealer was sold from George Beranek to Stan Balzekas III and then to Don Bovino who lost the the Pontiac franchise sometime in the 90's.  Both the Saab and Pontiac franchises were bought by West Suburban VW, Alfa Romeo in Maywood, and the the Berwyn location was closed.  West Suburban had the Pontiac franchised pulled by GM for writing fraudulent warranty claims.

When Bovino owned the dealer in Berwyn, he hired an outside company to do a parts inventory.  The old upstairs offices were full of new old stock Pontiac parts going back to cars from the 50's and 60"s.  The guy that owned the inventory company made Bovino an offer and bought all the parts...and the old indian head sign.

I do have pictures of the sign on and off the building.  I will post them if I can find them.

AWESOME stuff Wilson!!  That is just the kind of historical info I like hearing about!  PLEASE post the pictures if you can.  I remember looking at that big vertical PONTIAC sign and saying WOW!  I have a nice little collection of dealership items from Berwyn and Cicero dealerships.  Maybe I will post some pictures of the stuff later.

berwynguy

Quote from: pkd50 on January 19, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
Uptown was IT for South Berwyn.   It was very walkable with the kids.  Things on Cermak were spread out to far to walk with little kids.  I usually went to a specific store.  Parked the car near there got what I needed and left.  Uptown for me was almost a daily trip.

pkd, I don't disagree that Uptown was IT for people in the immediate area, and that people like you who lived close visited there every day.  But to call Uptown the "main commercial corridor for Berwyn' is absolutely ludicrous.  Uptown was only a few blocks long, commercial Cermak Road stretched from 6200 West to 7200 West, NOT counting all the businesses on Cermak Rd. in Cicero that were also patronized by Berwyn residents.  For every type of business that was in Uptown (bakeries, banks, soda shops, funeral homes, car dealers, hardware stores, restaurants, drug stores, theatres, taverns, etc.) Cermak Rd. had three to five different businesses just like it, maybe even more in some cases.  ALSO Cermak Rd. was known around the Chicago area as the best spot in the entire Chicago area as the place for "old European style businesses."  The Tribune and Sun Times did several stories about this over the years all the way into the very early 1990s. 

pkd50

Bonster

Further off topic:  Why the name "Uptown" when it's clearly in south part of Berwyn? 

nativeson

My grandpa Hinds, who came to Berwyn at the age of 1 in 1902, told me that all the old timers called the business district surrounding the train station "Uptown" because it was about the farthest north you could go before hitting the prairie deyond the Illinois Central tracks.  North of the IC, Oak Park Avenue turned into a dirt road as did Ridgeland.  The Cermak Road business corridor would be a thing of the future...  Cermak wasn't even Cermak yet when my grandpa was a boy.  It was 22nd Street. And, as far as my grandpa was concerned, the bungalows that sprang up north of the IC in the 20's, and the folks who moved into them, were nothing but "newcomers"!

berwynguy

Quote from: nativeson on January 19, 2012, 07:48:28 PM
My grandpa Hinds, who came to Berwyn at the age of 1 in 1902, told me that all the old timers called the business district surrounding the train station "Uptown" because it was about the farthest north you could go before hitting the prairie beyond the Illinois Central tracks.  North of the IC, Oak Park Avenue turned into a dirt road as did Ridgeland.  The Cermak Road business corridor would be a thing of the future...  Cermak wasn't even Cermak yet when my grandpa was a boy.  It was 22nd Street. And, as far as my grandpa was concerned, the bungalows that sprang up north of the IC in the 20's, and the folks who moved into them, were nothing but "newcomers"!

Bruce, that's interesting that your grandfather would have told you that because the Berwyn subdivision actually went as far north as 31st St.  There are many houses north of the Burlington tracks that were built in the mid to late 1890s.  With the exception of a few scattered homes, the area north of 31st St. was an open prairie until about 1920 or so.  After that the land was developed and all the homes that are here now were built.  My area here around 31st & Kenilworth was called Lawndale Manor because the land was owned and developed by the Lawndale National Bank on 26th St. in what is now Little Village. 

The Jackal

Quote from: berwynguy on January 19, 2012, 03:18:55 PM

Absolutely NOT.  The main commercial corridor of Berwyn was Cermak Rd.  HANDS DOWN.  "Uptown" may have been the commercial corridor for Berwyn, but that was from 1890-1920.

Sorry, should have said South Berwyn...or at least for those south of 31st or so....the far south end of Berwyn.

I don't remember Uptown from 1890-1920, but in the early 70's (before N. Riverside Mall)  it was THE place to shop in the area.

berwynguy

Quote from: The Jackal on January 19, 2012, 08:06:32 PM
Quote from: berwynguy on January 19, 2012, 03:18:55 PM

Sorry, should have said South Berwyn...or at least for those south of 31st or so....the far south end of Berwyn.

I don't remember Uptown from 1890-1920, but in the early 70's (before N. Riverside Mall)  it was THE place to shop in the area.

Yes, I am sure it was the spot for people in THAT area.  For the rest of Berwyn and Cicero Cermak Rd. was THE place to shop.  Cermak Rd. is LEGENDARY for old timers in this area, and as I said, for people who lived outside of Berwyn as well.  I would say that Cermak Rd. really began to show visible signs of decline in the mid 1990s.  It's now a shell of its former self but STILL the main shopping corridor in Berwyn (which isn't saying much). 

The problem with the Depot District is that it is so secluded.  There is also crappy residential mixed in with the businesses.  In the past, Berwyn's demographics were strong enough to sustain long term small businesses in the Depot. Not the case anymore.  Cermak Rd. was always a main artery between Chicago and the near west suburbs.  Businesses had much more exposure and a better chance to flourish. 

Read the book Neighborhood by Norbert Blei.  It's a great read and you will get a much better picture of Cermak Rd. in past years.