Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Cicero Getting a Sonic and a Fullers Car Wash

Started by NYWREB, January 18, 2012, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYWREB

According to Mark News Online.

http://www.themarknewsonline.info/component/content/article/3826-sonic-drive-in-and-fullers-car-wash-moving-into-to-cicero-in-early-2012.html

Announced by Town President Larry Dominick during the final board meeting of 2011 – Cicero will soon welcome a Fuller's Car Wash and Sonic Drive-In restaurant on a shared parcel of land at 2900-38 S. Cicero Avenue with construction beginning in early 2012 and completing by mid-summer

(more in the full article at the attached link)

Shelley

Yipee!  Cicero gets a hamburger joint and a car wash while Morton students do without teachers, textbooks, technology or enough credits to get into college.  Cicero's TIFs generated $12.4 million dollars in 2010, NONE of which goes to schools  (Berwyn's TIFs=4.6 million, Lyons=$907,000) while the deficit of District 201 that year was about 3 million even with the barebones education offered there!  Maybe we could learn a lesson from the Sear's vs. CUSD 300 example:

http://berwyncares-blog.blogspot.com/2012/01/lessons-from-hoffman-estates.html

But, hey, with the shortest school day in the state, that Sonic should be packed with undereducated youth by 2:45!  Not to mention a long line of applicants to flip burgers upon graduation.

Ted

I was wondering why something like a Sonic or another high chain restaurant (like TGIF or Chili's) couldn't be attracted to move into the old Anderson Ford site.

pkd50

Does Cicero get all those big chains because they have available land?

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on January 18, 2012, 12:40:31 PM

I was wondering why something like a Sonic or another high chain restaurant (like TGIF or Chili's) couldn't be attracted to move into the old Anderson Ford site.

That's a primo location for a liquor store.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

mustang54

Quote from: pkd50 on January 18, 2012, 12:43:53 PM
Yes, if thats the land I'm thinking of the town bought that entire block a few years back and knocked down all the buildings just like they did with all the parcels that have been developed in town. Plus that stretch of Cicero avenue seems to have been very successful for the retailers. Its a very high traffic area plus there is not alot of retail choices in the area of Chicago east of Cicero Avenue. Most of the retail stores there are the top grossing stores in their districts. Available vacant parcels plus other successful retailers around them make them very attractive for chains.

Bonster

Wait, were we not in the running with cicero for sonic at that location?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk, hungry for sonic fries with a boat of the mayonnaise.
O:-)

Good Time Charlie

Cool. Maybe they can put the day laborers over there on roller skates and help out the local economy.

renovatorbear

Me too. But maybe being closer to 55 (and several other factors) made Cicero a better location.

buzz

Quote from: Bonster on January 18, 2012, 04:50:40 PM
Wait, were we not in the running with cicero for sonic at that location?
Both  SONIC  and  CVS  looked at the Anderson location.  They took a pass.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

mustang54

Quote from: renovatorbear on January 18, 2012, 05:51:20 PM

Me too. But maybe being closer to 55 (and several other factors) made Cicero a better location.
I doubt I-55 had anything to do with it. Don't think people leave an expressway for Sonic or to get the car washed. That area of Cicero Avenue is a zoo. Tons of traffic. Plus you add in the el train and the bus stops are right there. I'm sure their market research showed them the huge volume being done by retailers on that strip. Heres an example. I went to Sams a couple years back and they were out of a certain bottle water I was looking for. I asked a kid working there if they had any in back. He checked and said no. I said thanks I'll go check the Cicero store. He laughed and said "they will have it they sell more bottled water in a day than we sell in two weeks."

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: pkd50 on January 18, 2012, 12:43:53 PM

Certainly doesn't hurt.  Berwyn has no where near as much open space.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: renovatorbear on January 18, 2012, 05:51:20 PM

With all those big box stores comes traffic/customers.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Shelley on January 18, 2012, 09:27:47 AM
Yipee!  Cicero gets a hamburger joint and a car wash while Morton students do without teachers, textbooks, technology or enough credits to get into college.  Cicero's TIFs generated $12.4 million dollars in 2010, NONE of which goes to schools  (Berwyn's TIFs=4.6 million, Lyons=$907,000) while the deficit of District 201 that year was about 3 million even with the barebones education offered there!  Maybe we could learn a lesson from the Sear's vs. CUSD 300 example:

http://berwyncares-blog.blogspot.com/2012/01/lessons-from-hoffman-estates.html

But, hey, with the shortest school day in the state, that Sonic should be packed with undereducated youth by 2:45!  Not to mention a long line of applicants to flip burgers upon graduation.
So true.  My son, who will be graduating in June had the benefit of me, a very vigilant mom who probably scared the crap out of the majority of people in District 201 who I came in contact with and a committed group of D201 teachers who made themselves as invested as I was in my son's education.  The result is he received his first college acceptance letter last week.  When he opened it up he had tears in his eyes.  He was ready to go into the Marines because he didn't think he would get accepted into college because of his learning disability.

Most kids in District 201 won't have many options IF they graduate except for flipping burgers and God knows what else to get by - and let's not forget the number of baby mamas and daddies they will leave behind to carry on the legacy. 

Perhaps the leaders of Cicero and Berwyn might start to think about the legacy they will leave behind and I'm not talking about a Sonic or Buffalo Wild Wings or Meijers or Paisan's.

OakParkSpartan

The Jackal

But what the voters see if BWW, Sonic, Kia, Paisan's, etc...THAT is what garners votes. Until education becomes the #1 priority, even at the expense of new joints to drink and hang out in, the results will ALWAYS be the same. Just look at this forum as a case study of Berwyn priorities.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on January 18, 2012, 10:16:47 PM
But what the voters see if BWW, Sonic, Kia, Paisan's, etc...THAT is what garners votes.
FINALLY... you're getting it.    'bout time you came around to the truth.

QuoteUntil education becomes the #1 priority
Education should have been prioritized a long, LONG time ago, before Berwyn was lost.
You DO realize Berwyn is 70% low income, right?

The Jackal

Yes, of course, That's the problem. Par-don.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 18, 2012, 10:15:08 PM
Congrats to your son! (and you)
Thanks Brian.  His sister, as brilliant as she is, had to high five him on that one.  Whenever I expressed doubt, she expressed confidence and payed it forward.

MindoverMatter

So true.  My son, who will be graduating in June had the benefit of me, a very vigilant mom who probably scared the crap out of the majority of people in District 201 who I came in contact with and a committed group of D201 teachers who made themselves as invested as I was in my son's education.  The result is he received his first college acceptance letter last week.  When he opened it up he had tears in his eyes.  He was ready to go into the Marines because he didn't think he would get accepted into college because of his learning disability.

Most kids in District 201 won't have many options IF they graduate except for flipping burgers and God knows what else to get by - and let's not forget the number of baby mamas and daddies they will leave behind to carry on the legacy. 

Perhaps the leaders of Cicero and Berwyn might start to think about the legacy they will leave behind and I'm not talking about a Sonic or Buffalo Wild Wings or Meijers or Paisan's.
[/quote]

Congrats to you and your son.  Some students dream of going to college and I have seen many times their parents frown on it pointing them in the direction of the community college.  Its very sad to see! Its nothing like investing in yourself!  I wish other parents thought the same way!