Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Cicero Getting a Sonic and a Fullers Car Wash

Started by NYWREB, January 18, 2012, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 18, 2012, 10:06:50 PM
Quote from: Shelley on January 18, 2012, 09:27:47 AM
Yipee!  Cicero gets a hamburger joint and a car wash while Morton students do without teachers, textbooks, technology or enough credits to get into college.  Cicero's TIFs generated $12.4 million dollars in 2010, NONE of which goes to schools  (Berwyn's TIFs=4.6 million, Lyons=$907,000) while the deficit of District 201 that year was about 3 million even with the barebones education offered there!  Maybe we could learn a lesson from the Sear's vs. CUSD 300 example:

http://berwyncares-blog.blogspot.com/2012/01/lessons-from-hoffman-estates.html

But, hey, with the shortest school day in the state, that Sonic should be packed with undereducated youth by 2:45!  Not to mention a long line of applicants to flip burgers upon graduation.
So true.  My son, who will be graduating in June had the benefit of me, a very vigilant mom who probably scared the crap out of the majority of people in District 201 who I came in contact with and a committed group of D201 teachers who made themselves as invested as I was in my son's education.  The result is he received his first college acceptance letter last week.  When he opened it up he had tears in his eyes.  He was ready to go into the Marines because he didn't think he would get accepted into college because of his learning disability.

Most kids in District 201 won't have many options IF they graduate except for flipping burgers and God knows what else to get by - and let's not forget the number of baby mamas and daddies they will leave behind to carry on the legacy. 

Perhaps the leaders of Cicero and Berwyn might start to think about the legacy they will leave behind and I'm not talking about a Sonic or Buffalo Wild Wings or Meijers or Paisan's.

Sincere, heartfelt congrats to you and your son.

While others look for excuses (income, race, sun is in my eyes, etc...), your admittedly LEARNING DISABLED son found a way to get it done.

Yes, a young man from LOW INCOME, MINORITY ridden Berwyn with a LEARNING DISABILITY found his way to college.

Lets digest THAT for a moment before bemoaning the fate of the poor "underpriviliged" Berwyn kids that can't even find their way through MW's front doors, let alone into a college...ANY college.

And kudos to the parents who have obviously placed, through word and action, an emphasis on education rather than on where they can stuff their faces and/or get zonkered.

CONGRATS.

JOB VERY WELL DONE!

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on January 30, 2012, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 18, 2012, 10:06:50 PM
Quote from: Shelley on January 18, 2012, 09:27:47 AM
Yipee!  Cicero gets a hamburger joint and a car wash while Morton students do without teachers, textbooks, technology or enough credits to get into college.  Cicero's TIFs generated $12.4 million dollars in 2010, NONE of which goes to schools  (Berwyn's TIFs=4.6 million, Lyons=$907,000) while the deficit of District 201 that year was about 3 million even with the barebones education offered there!  Maybe we could learn a lesson from the Sear's vs. CUSD 300 example:

http://berwyncares-blog.blogspot.com/2012/01/lessons-from-hoffman-estates.html

But, hey, with the shortest school day in the state, that Sonic should be packed with undereducated youth by 2:45!  Not to mention a long line of applicants to flip burgers upon graduation.
So true.  My son, who will be graduating in June had the benefit of me, a very vigilant mom who probably scared the crap out of the majority of people in District 201 who I came in contact with and a committed group of D201 teachers who made themselves as invested as I was in my son's education.  The result is he received his first college acceptance letter last week.  When he opened it up he had tears in his eyes.  He was ready to go into the Marines because he didn't think he would get accepted into college because of his learning disability.

Most kids in District 201 won't have many options IF they graduate except for flipping burgers and God knows what else to get by - and let's not forget the number of baby mamas and daddies they will leave behind to carry on the legacy. 

Perhaps the leaders of Cicero and Berwyn might start to think about the legacy they will leave behind and I'm not talking about a Sonic or Buffalo Wild Wings or Meijers or Paisan's.

Sincere, heartfelt congrats to you and your son.

While others look for excuses (income, race, sun is in my eyes, etc...), your admittedly LEARNING DISABLED son found a way to get it done.

Yes, a young man from LOW INCOME, MINORITY ridden Berwyn with a LEARNING DISABILITY found his way to college.

Lets digest THAT for a moment before bemoaning the fate of the poor "underpriviliged" Berwyn kids that can't even find their way through MW's front doors, let alone into a college...ANY college.

And kudos to the parents who have obviously placed, through word and action, an emphasis on education rather than on where they can stuff their faces and/or get zonkered.

CONGRATS.

JOB VERY WELL DONE!

Ahhh, yes... status quo, status quo... all is well at Morton West. 

Nevermind her statement: "Most kids in District 201 won't have many options IF they graduate except for flipping burgers and God knows what else to get by - and let's not forget the number of baby mamas and daddies they will leave behind to carry on the legacy."  You know, the SOLE reason most have fled Berwyn by the time their kids have reached high school age.

You sound like you're looking to brown nose your way into a job with the city.  Good luck with that.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

The emphasis is on the parents/child, and where they've placed their priorities (as compared to most of the imbibers, boozehounds and lapdogs inundating B-Town)...NOT on the decidedly inferior 201. Mrs. N's post, read in tandem with Shelley's captioned right above, should make that abundanntly clear. Or maybe not. LOL!

MRS. NORTHSIDER

The bottom line on District 201 is the fact they we have the one of the lowest (or is it the lowest) spending per pupil around.  Combine that with a board that most people cringe when they hear some of the names.  I'm lucky because my son had already completed two years before they decided to disembowel what they had in place for kids with an IEP (independent education plan), had gotten to know his resource teacher and she him, and kept on going to see her to help him out.  I've known plenty of people who moved just because of 201 but more based on rumor about how bad the school is and the fact about the lack of money, and obviously resources, and the fact that with the current reputation of the board there is no way a referendum will be passed.  The other fact of the matter is that many people have moved because of the fact that the HS is predominantly minority/low income and they just wouldn't send their kid there even if the scores were better because of that.

Bonster

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 30, 2012, 07:05:48 PM
The bottom line on District 201 is the fact they we have the one of the lowest (or is it the lowest) spending per pupil around.  Combine that with a board that most people cringe when they hear some of the names.  I'm lucky because my son had already completed two years before they decided to disembowel what they had in place for kids with an IEP

Oooh, don't tell that to Jackal - he thinks it's all the parents' emphasis on education (or lack thereof)!

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on January 30, 2012, 08:40:19 PM
The bottom line on District 201 is the fact they we have the one of the lowest (or is it the lowest) spending per pupil around.  Combine that with a board that most people cringe when they hear some of the names.  I'm lucky because my son had already completed two years before they decided to disembowel what they had in place for kids with an IEP

Oooh, don't tell that to Jackal - he thinks it's all the parents' emphasis on education (or lack thereof)!
It's both - a lethal combination.

The Jackal

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 30, 2012, 08:51:32 PM

Mrs. N,

I wasn't commenting on the relative quality of 201. Rather, I was illustrating that even in a district like 201, a child CAN make it to college. IMO, in no small part due to the PARENTAL PRIORITY placed on education....as opposed to the priorities of your garden variety Berwynite/Ciceronian.....booze, food, booze, and MORE booze.  As long as B-Town/Cicero gets their fill of eateries and watering holes, all is peachy king in paradise...even if its at the expense of and/or to the detriment of education. Which is what Shelley was alluding to, more or less.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on January 30, 2012, 05:50:16 PM
The emphasis is on the parents/child, and where they've placed their priorities (as compared to most of the imbibers, boozehounds and lapdogs inundating B-Town)...NOT on the decidedly inferior 201.

Hey Berwyn boozehound: get a clue.  MRS. N is not your common Berwyn parent, and if you could actually comprehend hers and Shelley's posts "in tandem" or any other format fitting your state of mind, you'd understand they were actually shitting down the collective open throat of D201 and its leadership:

- "the deficit of District 201 that year was about 3 million even with the barebones education "
- "But, hey, with the shortest school day in the state, that Sonic should be packed with undereducated youth by 2:45"
- "Most kids in District 201 won't have many options IF they graduate except for flipping burgers and God knows what else to get by"
- "The bottom line on District 201 is the fact they we have the one of the lowest (or is it the lowest) spending per pupil around ... ... they decided to disembowel what they had in place for kids with an IEP"

Considering your recent track record stating renters tend to "downgrade," it's not shocking to see you indirectly castigate those of low income (the Berwyn majority) as uninvolved parents with misplaced priorities.  The case, since D201 is not a problem.

Perhaps when you sober up a bit you'll get this.   Or maybe not.  <LOL?>

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on January 30, 2012, 09:09:19 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 30, 2012, 08:51:32 PM

Mrs. N,

I wasn't commenting on the relative quality of 201. Rather, I 

Rather... you are backpedaling, once again.

Quote from:  The JackalI was illustrating that even in a district like 201, a child CAN make it to college. IMO, in no small part due to the PARENTAL PRIORITY placed on education...

Continues to shit on the parents of Berwyn and their misplaced priorities (garden variety or otherwise).  Such a sweetheart.

Bonster

The Jackal   09:12:18 PM   Viewing Bonster's profile.

Love you too, babe.

The Jackal

Btw, Mrs. N, the only people I'm shitting on are the jerkies who allow 201 to take a back seat to "other" priorities, either directly or indirectly. Not hard to figure out what that means...and it has NOTHING to do with income, affluence, intelligence, etc...

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on January 30, 2012, 09:24:06 PM
Btw, Mrs. N, the only people I'm shitting on are the jerkies who allow 201 to take a back seat to "other" priorities, either directly or indirectly.

Oh BULLSHIT.

"And kudos to the parents who have obviously placed, through word and action, an emphasis on education"
"in no small part due to the PARENTAL PRIORITY placed on education........as opposed to the priorities of your garden variety Berwynite/Ciceronian"

You DIRECTLY shit on the majority of Berwyn parents with the above two statements, and stated expressly that low income/minority status/learning disabilities are no reason not to succeed - given the status of D201.  You can't help yourself lately, huh?

mustang54

One point no one brings up is there are people who have moved here to send their kids to 201. To them it beats the hell out of high schools in the city. They see Morton as a much better option for their kids than say Farragut,Simeon, or a bunch of other CPS schools. Its sad but its true.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on January 30, 2012, 10:23:44 PM
  One point no one brings up is there are people who have moved here to send their kids to 201. To them it beats the hell out of high schools in the city. They see Morton as a much better option for their kids than say Farragut,Simeon, or a bunch of other CPS schools. Its sad but its true.

How well do those kids perform in D201?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MindoverMatter

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 31, 2012, 09:53:45 AM

Funny...nobody has mentioned taht D201 has some lowest registrations rates in the area too! D201 is not as bad as you are making it sound..coming from an active parent with a child who does not have an IEP. If the child & parent(s) are both involved in their education your child will be successful.  Issue really is that people love to play the blame game!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: MindoverMatter on January 31, 2012, 12:39:12 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 31, 2012, 09:53:45 AM

Funny...nobody has mentioned taht D201 has some lowest registrations rates in the area too! D201 is not as bad as you are making it sound..coming from an active parent with a child who does not have an IEP. If the child & parent(s) are both involved in their education your child will be successful.  Issue really is that people love to play the blame game!

What's the drop out rate?  What are test scores like compared to other schools around the state?

Yes, some good kids come out of Morton.  I know what many of us don't like is that the vast majority are not getting the education they need/deserve.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

"What are the test scores like compared to other districts around the state you ask?" If you compare them to school districts with similar demographics you will find the results are pretty much the same. Again very sad, but very true.

OakParkSpartan

Our competition isn't similar demographics...it is the entire state, or at a minimum, other school districts in the Chicagoland area.

Don't use demographics as a crutch to justify continued poor performance.

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 31, 2012, 03:14:57 PM
Our competition isn't similar demographics...it is the entire state, or at a minimum, other school districts in the Chicagoland area.

Don't use demographics as a crutch to justify continued poor performance.
I'm not justifying anything but only a frickin moron would compare 201 to RB, or LT. Its not a fair comparison. You want to compare communities where most parents went to college to this community? NOW if you want to say that low performing districts need to look at the way they are trying to educate I will agree with you. I have said for years on this site it has to be changed or the poor performance will continue and probably get worse.

Robert Pauly

Demographics shouldn't be used as a crutch, but they are a reality.  Our demographics require different strategies, like preschool for all.

Of the 33 high schools in the state with at least 60% Latino students, MW ranks 6th, and two of the schools above them are charter schools.  ME ranks 19th. 

Overall, Morton ranks in the bottom 15% of the state.

The test scores for all of these schools are substandard, though - 43% meet or exceed at the top Latino dominated school, 37% at MW and 21% at ME.  As a point of reference, RB is at 75% and OPRF at 70%

Relative to "a few good kids attend and succeed at MW", because of the latest round of budget cuts, credits have become an issue - where a student at OPRF or RB can take up to seven classes, our kids max out at 5, which severely limits college choices.  Also, the IHSA mandates that a student athlete must be passing at least 5 subjects to play sports: at Morton, fail one and you're done.

Open as many BWW's as you like, but this place will remain a second rate city until educational issues are addressed, starting with preschool for all.