News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Costco opening

Started by buzz, March 24, 2012, 11:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

The rumors are true.  They're moving into the old Edward Don & Co. location on Harlem & 26th.  I haven't heard anything about an opening date yet.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

jfrickind

Although that's North Riverside I have to think that it will also help the Berwyn side as well.  Of course there's only the high school but maybe it will trickle down Cermak and help east of the Gateway Plaza.

renovatorbear

Love that!  Will be interesting to see how they deal with the traffic flow around that area tho...

jfrickind

It's going to be horrible.  It already is and there's nothing there! 

They'll definitely have to be put in turn lanes on 26th and extend them on Harlem.  It's going to be ugly.

chandasz

justme

Quote from: jfrickind on March 24, 2012, 01:09:30 PM
It's going to be horrible.  It already is and there's nothing there! 

They'll definitely have to be put in turn lanes on 26th and extend them on Harlem.  It's going to be ugly.

I agree with that...I didn't go to the one in Oakbrook because getting in and out of there was close to impossible. They recently (finally) put up stop lights there. My concern here is also the traffic especially when there' s a train  :o

But this is great news! I can walk there if i want!!

pkd50

walking there is fine, but buying bulk and walking home could be a problem.

justme

Quote from: pkd50 on March 24, 2012, 09:26:12 PM
walking there is fine, but buying bulk and walking home could be a problem.

If I go for just a few things, it's all good  ;)

watcher

Can't wait to see those flat bed carts being dragged across Harlem.<g> `ere long every alley in Berwyn will have `em.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

exPROPer

Retirement part-time jobs!!!!  Costco is a great place to shop and to work!  Benefits, health insurance, etc.  Can't wait!!

Diona

Sounds good, will be sure to get over there when it officially opens!

sheldar

Wow! I had thought that since the one in Melrose Park opened, there wouldn't be another one so close. But I'm not complaining!  :oink:

J'sMom

I can imagine it will be years before Costco North Riverside will officially open. Does anyone know the timeline?

NYWREB

I'm super excited by this.  I'm thinking they are going to somehow make the entrance to the parking lot be from North Riverside Mall's lot - and not from 26th or harlem for traffic controlling purposes.  At least, that's what I'm hoping!!

Ted

When I used to commute, coming home, that corner was a mess at 5 PM with all the workers coming out of work.  I think it's going to be more of a mess unless they figure out a way to let traffic out some other way.

seebee

I do buy a few things here and there at Costco. I wonder what the impact on the local economy is. I'm sure a lot of folks have seen the (slanted) documentaries on what happens when a Wal-Mart moves into town. I wonder if there is a negative impact on local businesses. I know the gas stations might hurt a little bit, but I think the gas stations don't really make any money on gas sales. Outside of electronics, I don't really get the big draw of Costco. If you shop very wisely, from what I've seen, you can do much better at a grocery store and fruit market for most groceries. They have a killer crumb cake, I will say. Killer. I think their booze prices are pretty good too?

renovatorbear

Actually, I've found that Jewel (believe it or not) has lower prices than Costco on liquor.

Terri

Maybe.  I sure hope so.

###
http://www.rblandmark.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=8772

3/26/2012 5:36:00 PM    
Costco eyeing North Riverside location
Owners' representative confirms 'it's leaning that way'

By BOB UPHUES
Editor

Could Costco be coming to North Riverside? It might just happen.

On Monday, a spokesman for the real estate partnership that owns the Edward Don and Company property at 26th Street and Harlem Avenue, said that the owners "are in discussions" with Costco and are working on a letter of intent.

"A letter of intent is what has been discussed," said Jerald Much, president of Lincolnwood Developers, which joined with Monroe Investment Partners in 2007 to buy the 19-acre property for $14.75 million.

"It's not final and either party can back out," Much said. "Right now it's leaning that way, but it's a long way from reality."

Much declined to get into specifics on what it would take to make Costco a reality in North Riverside, but he mentioned the big-box retailer would like to see the existing warehouse/office building torn down.

However, the partnership is reluctant to do that without an iron-clad guarantee that Costco is coming in.

"We can't do it if they can back out," said Much.

The company also has to "firm up village participation" in the form of financial incentives to convince the company to locate in North Riverside.

In February, Much confirmed that a big-box retailer was interested in the site, but did not disclose what company it was. At that time, however, he emphasized the importance of getting the village to react quickly to the opportunity.

"If the village doesn't step up to the plate or gets too sharp with their pencils, the deal will go astray," Much said in February.

North Riverside Mayor Ken Krochmal said village officials have still not met with representatives of the real estate partnership.

"No one's come in and said, 'Here's the deal,'" said Krochmal.

buzz

These are key
Quote from: Terri on March 26, 2012, 09:11:26 PM

The company also has to "firm up village participation" in the form of financial incentives to convince the company to locate in North Riverside.

"If the village doesn't step up to the plate or gets too sharp with their pencils, the deal will go astray," Much said in February.
If the Village does make the necessary concessions they open up a hornet's nest for all future negotiations with the existing businesses.
Lincolnwood and Monroe are rumored to be the reason for Edward Don's departure.  Now, they will try to strangle or exsanguinate the Village in the name of economic development ?

buzz

Quote from: seebee on March 26, 2012, 08:54:25 PM
I wonder what the impact on the local economy is.
The foodies over there are already preparing for war with Meijer.  We would probably benefit from that.