News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Costco opening

Started by buzz, March 24, 2012, 11:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: buzz on March 26, 2012, 10:32:52 PM
These are key
Quote from: Terri on March 26, 2012, 09:11:26 PM

The company also has to "firm up village participation" in the form of financial incentives to convince the company to locate in North Riverside.

"If the village doesn't step up to the plate or gets too sharp with their pencils, the deal will go astray," Much said in February.
If the Village does make the necessary concessions they open up a hornet's nest for all future negotiations with the existing businesses.
Lincolnwood and Monroe are rumored to be the reason for Edward Don's departure.  Now, they will try to strangle or exsanguinate the Village in the name of economic development ?

Who is Lincolnwood and Monroe?

Costco would bring a ton of sales tax revenue...between the electronics, gasoline and general merchandise. 

There would be some impact on the local economy, but only due to people who do not already own a membership and would be willing to purchase and shift spending to Costco.  I'm guessing Best Buy and HH Gregg would be impacted to some degree (again, people need to be willing to purchase the membership), as would grocery stores...but overall I think it would be a huge positive for the area.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 26, 2012, 11:56:40 PM
Who is Lincolnwood and Monroe?
/quote]
They're the ones looking for all the handouts from the Village.
They own that property.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

PamF

Quote from: justme on March 24, 2012, 03:12:34 PM
I didn't go to the one in Oakbrook because getting in and out of there was close to impossible.
The easy way into the Oak Brook location is to enter from the west (for instance, take Roosevelt to Meyers and then turn east onto Cermak).  Then go in the first place where you can turn right and go around the entire building.  No traffic and then just park once you get around it.  No problem.

dukesdad

From the East, turn left into Macy's furniture store and go through their lot to Costco, no pain, no strain, there is a light.

justme

Quote from: PamF on March 27, 2012, 11:25:51 AM
Quote from: justme on March 24, 2012, 03:12:34 PM
I didn't go to the one in Oakbrook because getting in and out of there was close to impossible.
The easy way into the Oak Brook location is to enter from the west (for instance, take Roosevelt to Meyers and then turn east onto Cermak).  Then go in the first place where you can turn right and go around the entire building.  No traffic and then just park once you get around it.  No problem.

They put a light up about a month or so ago so it's no longer an issue  ;)

berwyn senator

Costco would be great to have in our area,can't wait!

Guy_on_Clinton

more of a samsclub person.. does costco have same stuff? bulk tp and papertowels?
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

berwyn senator

Maybe a little more up scale,depends who you speak to.

PamF

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on March 27, 2012, 09:45:10 PM
more of a samsclub person.. does costco have same stuff? bulk tp and papertowels?
A lot of the same kinds of things.  However, the Kirkland (house brand) is very high quality stuff. For instance, their brand facial tissue is actually packaged/produced by Kleenex!  And a great price (better than what my other half can get at wholesale...I know, a sin).

Also, Kirkland brand solid white tuna fish is the best tasting canned tuna, EVER!  It is their flagship item.

Another good thing to know is that if you buy electronics from Costco, they automatically double your warranty.  I got my laptop, TVs, from them....doubled warranties!  Nice to have.

I like Costco; other half prefers Sam's.  In other words, our house has both memberships.

Peridot 16

And to think Berwyn could have been reaping the tax benefits of a Costco in Cermak Plaza? If I recollect, the owners couldn't or wouldn't arrive at a plan...sounds like what is happening in N.R.
Anyhow, been a Costco member since they 1st opened in Oakbrook. Went in on the 1st w/e they opened and received a free 1 yr memebership. Finally dropped Sam's Club...just prefer Costco.

buzz

Quote from: PamF on March 28, 2012, 04:00:56 PM
A lot of the same kinds of things.  However, the Kirkland (house brand) is very high quality stuff.
This month's Consumer Reports likes Costco and Kirkland.  Good article comparing many chains.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

renovatorbear

Any updates on Costco going in? 

renovatorbear

I see that the Edward Don building is half gone already...  Costco's-a-comin'.

justme

And fast...they are not playing around! The day after they closed on the property, the bulldozers were in there digging up the parking lot already. My friend said that some Costco reps came in to her office to promote business memberships for the new location,and brought them a container of Costco bakery cookies  :) They told her that October is the target open date because they want to be open for the holiday season.

berwyn senator

Can't wait for a hot dog special!!!!!!

Peridot 16

After seeing the teardown, had no idea how huge that property is.
Hope they did a traffic study...Harlem & 26th sucks.  Almost as bad as Harlem & Cermak.