News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Meijer

Started by justme, August 14, 2012, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justme

Went there this morning...wow! It's so huge and beautiful. What a much needed change for Berwyn...hell, I forgot that I was in Berwyn for awhile. Honestly, it's going to take me awhile to remember to go there for my shopping just because I am used to going to Westchester (Dominick's) or Hillside (Super Target) so I need to pound it into my head that we finally have a big box grocery store right here in town.

While walking around, I talked to a lot of people who said that they were so happy to have a "real" grocery store where they could get good quality items, as well as a variety.  This place is going to bring in a lot of money...people are really excited.

Suzy Q

Love the store!  I am so happy to finally have a decent grocery store in Berwyn!

rbain

Agree 100%. The produce is really good and diverse. I don't imagine I'll be at the Jewel again, and it will seriously reduce my trips to Target.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Berwyn Patsy

I just got back from an 1 1/2 hour stop at Meijer's!  Out here in Orland.  Love that store.  I can't believe I could spend so much time in a grocery store!  It does beat Jewel on prices and fresh produce.

justme

I've gone to the one in  Bolingbrook quite a few times and I wish that they could have knocked down the entire CP and made a full scale one like that with clothing, electronics,etc. As a matter of fact, a few people I talked to  at Meijer's picnic last weekend thought that they were going to have clothes at this one and were sad to hear that they weren't. However like I said , this is HUGE for Berwyn and that will not deter people from going there. This will easily draw people from a lot of areas around us and make Cermak  and Harlem a hoppin' spot!

Bonster

I haven't checked ours, but the other two I patronize has good produce variety, fresh.  Some of the stuff looks odd, as if GMO'd.   

Anyone notice if they have any organics? 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

I was thinking more in terms of fresh produce, but... I'm game for some organic/"natural" chocolate chip cookies. :)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

rbain

Their own line of organic products was prominent throughout the store.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

renovatorbear

I stopped in on my way home from work tonight. Being brand new, the store looks especially clean and beautiful. And the merchandising (especially the produce) is well done. The parking lot was only about half full, so no difficulties getting in and out. Man it's nice to have this store so close to home!  :D

justme

Quote from: Mark R. on August 14, 2012, 03:52:39 PM
I haven't checked ours, but the other two I patronize has good produce variety, fresh.  Some of the stuff looks odd, as if GMO'd.   

Anyone notice if they have any organics?

They do...I saw organic strawberries next to the regular ones so I assume there's more  ;)

If you go, make it today or tomorrow if you want to avoid crowds because Thursday is the "official" grand opening and that starts the giveaways,etc. so I am sure it will be busier.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I had to do my "big" grocery shopping today so I was really glad I came onto BTF and saw that Meijer is now open.  I was impressed with my overall experience.  Produce was great, deli was OK (not as many choices as Jewel and prices were similar to Jewel there).  Great produce and cheese selection with many ethnic produce available - I saw a woman with two huge bags of tomatillos and they do seem to carry many kinds of hispanic produce (peppers, cactus leaves, etc.).  Avocados were 3 for $1 although they were small.  The pasta selection (pasta or sauce) was not as varied as Jewel but the prices were very good - Barilla pasta was $1.00 on sale which is our go to pasta here.  Their store brands are very reasonably priced.  I didn't venture into the cereal or snack aisle since my husband had to hit those yesterday at Jewel.  While the Jewel in Stickney may stay open I can't imagine the Jewel in North Riverside will fare well between Meijer and Tony's.

Tuttles

It is very clean, very well lit, quite spacious, & lines moved quickly. I will probably never, ever set foot in North Riverside Jewel again, & I plan to fill all future prescriptions there instead of Walgreens.  I will definitely pick up some of the items I normally get at Target or Walmart there as well.  It's too bad they could only open a Market Place instead of a full sized store.  I love the ones in Bolingbrook.   I am definitely a bargain shopper, so I am sure I will still frequent Aldi & Super Tony's.  Some prices I saw at Meijer were very good, and some, I thought were quite high or at least on par with Jewel.  Oh & for the kids, there's Sandy, the mechanical horse ride in front of the registers.  Rides are free!  It's such a great addition to the CP & Berwyn.  It's almost hard to imagine the empty Service Merchandise store anymore.  Yay!

Crunchie

Quote from: Tuttles on August 14, 2012, 09:50:29 PM
It is very clean, very well lit, quite spacious, & lines moved quickly. I will probably never, ever set foot in North Riverside Jewel again, & I plan to fill all future prescriptions there instead of Walgreens.  I will definitely pick up some of the items I normally get at Target or Walmart there as well.
Do you think we can contemplate the closing of one or more of our other local food stores due to lost business from Meijers?

buzz

Crunchie !  Cat food is $.46 compared to Jewel's $.60 a can.

I don't think they'll drive anyone out of business.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Crunchie on August 14, 2012, 11:57:54 PM
It is very clean, very well lit, quite spacious, & lines moved quickly. I will probably never, ever set foot in North Riverside Jewel again, & I plan to fill all future prescriptions there instead of Walgreens.  I will definitely pick up some of the items I normally get at Target or Walmart there as well.
Do you think we can contemplate the closing of one or more of our other local food stores due to lost business from Meijers?

I give Jewel a year.

The selection and quality at Meijer's is much better than Jewel.

I too wish it was a full blown Meijers.  They are a great chain.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 15, 2012, 07:34:42 AM
Quote from: Crunchie on August 14, 2012, 11:57:54 PM

I give Jewel a year.

The selection and quality at Meijer's is much better than Jewel.

I too wish it was a full blown Meijers.  They are a great chain.
Just remember - the Jewel by CP is in North Riverside.  Berwyn doesn't get any tax revenue from it.  While it may close I think the one in Stickney at Pershing and Harlem will remain open for people who still want to shop at a Jewel.

OakParkSpartan

Oh, I was only referring to the one in NR.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

I compare sales and even clip coupons from the Sunday papers.  There's times when Jewel is cheapest, honest.  For example, I picked up 4 huge jugs of bleach for $1.99 ea. at Jewel this week, by far cheaper than any other store.
Jewel's deli selection is larger the Meijer's is currently.
I looked for Feta cheese, imported not domestic.  Meijer had only 2 and they were very expensive.  Tony's is better/cheaper.  Same with Mascarpone, Tony's is cheaper. 
I really liked the Meijer seafood selection but as usual, all the IQF shrimp were from China.  NOPE ! 
Bottom line is, if you shop the sales and use coupons, ect., you'll be going to several different locations.
Jewel will survive.  Riverside Foods might not.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Cheaper doesn't equate to quality.