Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Meijer

Started by justme, August 14, 2012, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukesdad

QuoteRiverside Foods might not

Riverside seems to me to be the one store Meier won't affect. Riverside shoppers are not shopping there for bargains and assortment, they are after convenience and quality. I know if I need a gallon of milk and couple of steaks, I'm not going to fight my way in and out of Meier or Jewel for that matter. I'm going to run to Riverside and be back in 10 minutes. The extra couple of bucks are worth the avoided aggravation.

mustang54

The Jewel that might be in trouble is the one in Stickney. Their prices were always higher than the Jewel in North Riverside. Now they are remodeling and my wife went their Saturday and she noticed a big drop in their prices. Most people we know go to the Stickey location to only buy the sale items. Their lunch meat prices are by far the highest. Berwyn Fruit Market,Aldi's,Walmart, and Tony's have always had much better prices overall. Meijer could be the final straw for that store. The only thing that might save them is the convenience for many on the south end but alot of people feel they have been ripped off at that store for years.

Bonster

What is this, Grocery Store Death Pool?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

justme

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 15, 2012, 10:40:33 AM
Cheaper doesn't equate to quality.

Exactly. Tony's produce may be cheaper but it's the bad quality and everyone I have talked to agrees. I mean, I am all for finding good deals but with some things I won't sacrifice quality for price.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Meijer has self check outs! You have no idea how happy that makes me.  8)

Buzz, if you are looking for good cheese selections, go to Pete's in Oakbrook Terrace. They are a bigger version of Tony's and they have a big cheese counter with a great selection, along with a "cheese expert" who can help you if you need it  ;)

Terri

Quote from: dukesdad on August 15, 2012, 10:56:03 AM
QuoteRiverside Foods might not

Riverside seems to me to be the one store Meier won't affect. Riverside shoppers are not shopping there for bargains and assortment, they are after convenience and quality. I know if I need a gallon of milk and couple of steaks, I'm not going to fight my way in and out of Meier or Jewel for that matter. I'm going to run to Riverside and be back in 10 minutes. The extra couple of bucks are worth the avoided aggravation.

Yup, Berwyn shoppers too.  Had my second visit to Meijer, I'm sold. 

I was surprised no one mentioned competition between the four pharmacy's. 

pkd50

I had a dentist appt in Berwyn today, so I checked out the new store.  Very nice!

buzz

Quote from: justme on August 15, 2012, 11:55:11 AM
Buzz, if you are looking for good cheese selections, go to Pete's in Oakbrook Terrace.
Too far.  Marion Street Cheese Market or Whole Foods do just fine, and there's a Trader Joe's too, all within walking distance of each other.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

douglas

Give it time, it will be dirty, bad service, just like everything else in the area

Terri

Quote from: douglas on August 16, 2012, 07:21:22 AM
Give it time, it will be dirty, bad service, just like everything else in the area

It will be just fine if they have a good, strong director/manager. 

Robert Pauly

Stopped by last night - big store, clean, lots of selection, employees tripping over each other - I'm not the grocery shopper in the family so I really can't comment on prices except to say that my grocery staples - Jack and Tecate - were about $2 a bottle / case higher than can be found in other stores in town.  Huge cold beer section - seemed to have a lot of fancy beer.

frankvdv

WOW. Not even opened for a week, and people are already predicting the store's future cleanliness. How sad.

justme

Went back again this morning and wow, it was pretty busy so I can imagine what the weekend will bring! I really spent time walking around the entire store today and it's so hard to think that it was once Service Merchandise. Lots of corporate around and help from other states (normal for new openings) and a LOT of staff constantly in the aisles stocking, cleaning,etc. Went to the deli and the prices are not to bad (Krakus ham on sale $2.99lb, great deal)...not cheap but what is these days? The counter was busy and they moved pretty fast , however, they need the system set up better. They have the machine to grab a number off to the far left end of the counter and it's easy to miss. There was actually a corporate person asking people if they needed numbers and handing them out and that is obviously not going to happen forever so they need more signage for that, in my opinion.

People were loading their carts and making comments how happy and excited they were. Heard a few say they were bummed that it wasn't a full-blown Meijer but that's to be expected.

I got 6 bags of groceries (produce, deli meat,etc) and after the MPerks (make sure to sign up online!) and $10 0ff $30 coupon they handed out on Tuesday, I walked out spending $25. Not too shabby! And  on the way out, managers were standing there thanking everyone and giving everyone a few bags of Meijer chips for free :)

frankvdv

The old SM structure was TOTAL DEMOLISHED, so no, it's not the old SM redone inside!

justme

Quote from: frankvdv on August 16, 2012, 03:49:08 PM
The old SM structure was TOTAL DEMOLISHED, so no, it's not the old SM redone inside!

Oh I know...I should have said that it's hard to imagine that they were once in that spot. I still have the clock radio I bought there about a month before they closed...who would have thought that years later, I would be in the same spot (land-wise) buying apples? lol!

pkd50

I miss Service Merchandise.

Peridot 16

There are only so many food distributors in the US that supply all the grocery stores. Especially fruits & veggies grown in the US or certified organic. Regardless of the grocery store it's a crapshoot. I bought some white organic nectarines@ Whole Foods for $2.99 a #, they were terrible, I bought the same at Tony's a week later...they were excellent. Bought a watermelon from Tony's...it was ok, next week I bought a Sweet Mama watermelon from S & S...delish. The absolute best blackberries, blueberries and fresh figs we've had this summer were from Costco...all grown in CA. I do like Tony's fresh baked bread & wheat buns.

buzz

Quote from: buzz on August 15, 2012, 10:36:25 AM
I really liked the Meijer seafood selection but as usual, all the IQF shrimp were from China
! Today they had uncooked 26-30 ct. frozen shrimp from good ole' USA. 
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Matryoshka

Quote from: buzz on August 16, 2012, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: buzz on August 15, 2012, 10:36:25 AM
I really liked the Meijer seafood selection but as usual, all the IQF shrimp were from China
! Today they had uncooked 26-30 ct. frozen shrimp from good ole' USA.

+1

~LL~

Quote from: Peridot 16 on August 16, 2012, 06:39:07 PM
There are only so many food distributors in the US that supply all the grocery stores. Especially fruits & veggies grown in the US or certified organic. Regardless of the grocery store it's a crapshoot. I bought some white organic nectarines@ Whole Foods for $2.99 a #, they were terrible, I bought the same at Tony's a week later...they were excellent. Bought a watermelon from Tony's...it was ok, next week I bought a Sweet Mama watermelon from S & S...delish. The absolute best blackberries, blueberries and fresh figs we've had this summer were from Costco...all grown in CA. I do like Tony's fresh baked bread & wheat buns.

Oh, yum! Fresh figs!!  I had a giagantic fig tree in my back yard in California; miss it terribly.  Yes, it was a mess and the critters came in abundance to feast on the figs that dropped (which actually made less clean up work for us!!) -- but, oh, the taste -- and the smell of fig jam cooking on the stove.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Mugster

Was there a small fire in Meijer this afternoon, about 1:30?  I saw FD vehicles near that store and an ambulance leaving with sirens blaring.