News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Meijer

Started by justme, August 14, 2012, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs.Pete

I don't know, but usually an ambulance means somebody had a heart attack or a fall.

Mugster

Just wondering because there was also 2 firetrucks and fire chief SUV.  Well, hopefully it was minor.

Big Ten

I was there.  Looked like they were conducting a walk thru or soft inspection.

seebee

Flippin through the Wed insert right now, I might have reason to pop into Meijer. With so many grocery stores around town, I can cherry pick pretty easily. Tony's has been my "go to" store for non-sale priced items since I frequent them the most. Not sure how their produce is "the bad produce" since you pick your own, but whatever. My meijer list this week:

Fritos / Cheetos 1.49 for full size

Krakus Reduced Sodium Ham for 2.99/lb is decent, tho Berwyn Fruit Market usually has something that would interest me for a phenomenal price in their deli. Meijer's ad also shows "Healthy Ones" service deli products on sale for 4.99 /lb (and it's actually a brand that has edible products.) That is a brand I routinely see at 2.99/lb at Berwyn Fruit Market - just sayin.

B / S chicken thighs at 1.69 is a new standard for "on sale" price at Tony's and Berwyn Fruit. So I'll grab some at Meijer this week.

Cheerios Box for 99c is pretty good if it's the standard size. Couponers will cean up on that one.

Oooh sneaky on Meijers part:
99c Apple Juice 1/2 gallon, but if you read the smaller print, it is "NOT FROM CONCENTRATE." Limit 2 :( (That is very good pricing - I might load up if there were no limit)

Fried chicken bucket 4.99. Definitey dinner this week one night.

In looking through this flyer, I do see some advertised prices which are both under and over prices for same items around town in diff stores.

Any reports on the Saturday Specials? I'm pretty sure that Meijer also has "Saturday Only Specials."

justme

You gotta remember that yes, Meijer has good prices and sales but it's not like we got a Food For Less. Prices won't be dirt cheap. But between the prices and the quality, they have an advantage over Jewel. Meijer has select products at  buy 10 get the 11th free going on soon, I think.

As far as produce, I can name 5 people off hand who have taken it back to Tony's and complained to the manager because it was rotten inside. I had it happen twice with apples and will no longer buy from them.

I don't see anything sneaky about the 99c apple juice "not from concentrate"...I see that in ads quite often  ???

Went by last night around 9pm and the parking lot was packed. I laughed when I went by Tony's and saw "Grand Re-Opening Sale!" banners and flags all over, and also when I got Jewel coupons in the paper today. The other stores around the area are trying to step up their game.

My friend went by Friday evening around 5 and said that they were completely sold out of the Krakus ham, as well as the substitute they were offering. The guy told her that people were buying it like crazy at that price. But she went back yesterday morning and was able to get some and said that others were there buying a few lbs. at a time.

Bonster

Quote from: justme on August 19, 2012, 11:04:17 AM
You gotta remember that yes, Meijer has good prices and sales but it's not like we got a Food For Less. Prices won't be dirt cheap.

+1, and I don't want them to be the cheapest.  I just want them to be good. 

(I'm also a big Krakus fan!!)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on August 19, 2012, 10:44:53 AMBerwyn Fruit Market usually has something that would interest me for a phenomenal price in their deli.

I've heard that about the deli and meats. 

That's good, because they are not good with what their name implies - produce.  Total misnomer.

$2.99/lb for Krakus anything is phenomenal.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

seebee

Quote from: justme on August 19, 2012, 11:04:17 AM
You gotta remember that yes, Meijer has good prices and sales but it's not like we got a Food For Less. Prices won't be dirt cheap. But between the prices and the quality, they have an advantage over Jewel. Meijer has select products at  buy 10 get the 11th free going on soon, I think.

As far as produce, I can name 5 people off hand who have taken it back to Tony's and complained to the manager because it was rotten inside. I had it happen twice with apples and will no longer buy from them.

I don't see anything sneaky about the 99c apple juice "not from concentrate"...I see that in ads quite often  ???

Went by last night around 9pm and the parking lot was packed. I laughed when I went by Tony's and saw "Grand Re-Opening Sale!" banners and flags all over, and also when I got Jewel coupons in the paper today. The other stores around the area are trying to step up their game.

My friend went by Friday evening around 5 and said that they were completely sold out of the Krakus ham, as well as the substitute they were offering. The guy told her that people were buying it like crazy at that price. But she went back yesterday morning and was able to get some and said that others were there buying a few lbs. at a time.

Food for Less prices aren't great at all,imo. The one on Cicero is pretty close. Ogden FLIES down there. I stopped going there because their prices are just standard, for the most part. I don't see the draw. They USED to have some stellar prices, but I haven't seen any reason to go there in about a year.

I've never had a bad experience at Tony's with produce, tho I don't doubt your experiences at all. Since the Egg Store closed, Tony's has been my spot for in season produce. Don't think they've ever failed me on apples when they are in season.

The sneakiness about the apple juice ad was in kind of a GOOD way. It's sneaky in that they are not drawing attention to it being "Not From Concentrate." My guess is perhaps to avoid stockpilers (like me.) At first glance, I thought "Ho-hum, 99c standard AJ." Since it's NFC, I'd buy a shit ton of it. So it's not sneaky in that they are hiding somethnig BAD, but if they wanted to REALLY advertise it, it would seem to me that the NFC portion would be bold and in caps with a few exclamation points. Usually, NFC aj is about 2.50 - 3 bucks per 64 oz.

seebee

Re: Berwyn Fruit Market

Quote from: Mark R. on August 19, 2012, 11:15:38 AM

That's good, because they are not good with what their name implies - produce.  Total misnomer.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Generally, I only go there when I need eggs (cuz it's close, and for some reason, their eggs are almost always dirt cheap.) I quickly scan the fresh meats for the rarer bargains, but I take time at the deli case because they usually have something very good on sale for next to nothing. Also, if you get there early when the roasted chickens come out, they are my favorite in town. Timing is everything for those things tho.

Anyway, I think I'm off to my first Meijer run. Sumbitches better have some of that apple juice left.

Tuttles

I'm going to Meijer now with my $10 off a $30 order coupon!!!  Yay.  I will look for that apple juice too.  :-) 

pkd50

Do you know that WalMart has a price match policy?  Any advertised price is given at check out, so no need to go from store to store for best deal. 

seebee

So, I did pop in to Meijer, and it was pretty much a grocery store. Mixed bag of results for me. A few very nice surprises, a few let downs, and a few WTF moments.

Nice surprises:
SEEDED or seedless watermelons were 2.99. Would have been really nice to see that in the weekly flyer.

Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal 1.99 box.

Land O Lakes Butter tubs-the ones cut with olive oil - 1.50

Nice selection of chicken sausages.
==

The letdowns:
Out of the chicken thighs. Not a dealbreaker at all for me. I know the deal, stores run out of stuff. No biggie.
Here's what was left of the 49c lettuce heads:

These things looked like green, leafy, baby diapers they had so much runny brown sludgey stuff in them. Not a dealbreaker, I'll go back when they have more, but yuck. Should have been taken off the shelf.
==

The wtf moments:
Sweet peppers (red yellow orange) were 5 for 5 dollars. You can go to just about any other store, and get them for 99c /lb or less every other week. Meijers price was a buck EACH. I'm not saying that's sneaky wording, it is what it is. They were obviously trying to draw attention to those peppers.

Here's my first experience with their "Buy 10, get the 11th item free" promotion:

NIce lookin individually wrapped crowns:

So I grabbed one and weighed it:

So, folks, you can get 11 one half pound broccoli crowns for 10 dollars. That's pretty much Meijer saying, "Let's see how stupid some of these folks are and bend them right over." There is absolutely NO WAY that is not some promotion they are trying to screw you on. Bottom line on that is the same as always: buyer beware. Hopefully, since the sign says "Mix And Match," there is a list of items you can mix and match this deal with, and hopefully those items work out to be of some value. In the case of the broccoli crowns portion of this deal tho, it is clearly in favor of the house.

Also, if I read correctly, Meijer changed their price on grapes AFTER seeing Tony's ad. Meijer grapes are now 68c / lb. Their advertised priced was 88c/ lb on the front page of their weekly ad. The Tony's ad (which starts a day before the Meijer's ad) has an advertised price of 69c/lb. I don't see anything wrong with that, but I don't think saying Tony's is trying to "step up their game" is completely true...well, at least not in the realm of grapes anyway.

I kinda liked the Meijer even though someone in there bathed themseves in patchouli oil. I know the store can't do anything about that at ALL, I just think patchouli oil is absolutely vile, and when someone needs everyone in an enclosed area of any size to smell their scent, I just really get offended by that. It was literally wafting throughout the entire store.

Stopping back in tomorrow on my way home for a trial of their fried chicken for dinner. I wanted to get some of that krakus ham, but the deli line was a mile long. Hopefully it won't be that busy at an after worky time.

Nice store, they'll do well. I just really hope they don't have the sneaky in-store only specials. I mean, sure, it makes you think you should just keep going back, but I like having my shopping list before I walk in a grocery store instead of havng to go through the aisles just to see if they have some unannounced deal. It's a welcome surprise, but I'd just rather plan on it before I go in.

seebee

Quote from: pkd50 on August 19, 2012, 06:54:49 PM
Do you know that WalMart has a price match policy?  Any advertised price is given at check out, so no need to go from store to store for best deal.

I think I would pay a monthly fee to NOT go into the Wal-Mart in FP. I know that other Walmarts are much nicer, but sheesh, I stay far, far awaty from that joint. Also, the pbs specials about walmart pretty much say it's the worst store in America no matter what way you look at it. The employees are treated like filth, and the "made in USA" stickers are all a bunch of lies. Propaganda? Probably. But seeing how all the small towns are destroyed by Walmart is pretty scary stuff. Again, propaganda? Probably, but seeing that stuff, coupled with the state of the FP Wal-mart...no thanks. I'll pay more to stay the hell away from that whole situation.

buzz

+1
and don't forget Walmart's genetically modified foods !
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Berwyn Patsy

Meijer's fried Chicken is kinda blah if you ask me.  Jewel's on the other hand according to my taste buds beat Meijer's hands down!

Tuttles

I try not to go to Walmart too often & when I do I prefer to go to Hodgkins -however they did just remodel the one in FP.  Anyhoo - I was out by my dad's house & needed something specifically from Walmart -I can't even recall what it was now.  He assured me that I should not set foot in the one on Rt. 53 in Bolingbrook b/c it's such a wreck, & instead directed me to the Darien store on 75th Street.  OMG!!!!  That store was disorganized, dirty, long lines, etc..  It was horrible.  This was on a weekday afternoon too!  FP Walmart is heaven compared to the mess I encountered out in Darien. 

Now I normally do not do any grocery shopping on weekends if I can help it, but I did run to Meijer tonight.  The deli line was long, but everything else was still bright, clean, and pleasant.  I forgot my coupon, so I only grabbed a few things & headed for the self-check out lanes.  There were many lanes open & lines were mostly 2-3 customers deep apiece.  The store was a bit dirtier (floors) than the last time I went in -but I guess that's to be expected with all the traffic..  Other than the floors -everything else seemed spiffy.  I also found the 99 cent apple juice & got 2 bottles.  Woo-hoo!  I even survived the parking lot -which is actually slightly better to drive in now that the lot is fuller 

~LL~

Quote from: Tuttles on August 19, 2012, 10:41:43 PM
  I even survived the parking lot -which is actually slightly better to drive in now that the lot is fuller

Yeah!  Ppl can't speed through that lot anymore -- or, at least not as easily during the re-do of the CP.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

justme

On my way home this afternoon I realized that I needed swiss cheese and figured that I would run into Tony's because there weren't a lot of cars there. Went to the deli and grabbed a number with only 5 ahead of me so I figured this was an easy run. Nope. Waited about 10 minutes and after looking at the prices (and having no patience), I figured screw it and went to Meijer. It was packed, so I grabbed a number at the deli , saw there were 10 ahead of me and figured I'd look over the bakery,etc. Well, I am not kidding you when I say that I didn't wait longer than 5 minutes. Got my cheese and some turkey (their brand, it's VERY good) and was on my way.  People were buying up the ham like crazy,as well as everything else. The roasted chickens were completely full when I got there and by the time I was done, there was one left. The piles of containers of cookies were almost gone...it was crazy. I never saw a place get empty so fast. They were trying to fill but couldn't keep up. Grabbed a few more things and then went to the line...YIKES! It was all the way back to the pharmacy. But I went through and used self checkout (LOVE that they have it!) and was out of there in about 15 minutes (that was with me looking around a bit), spending $9 with my deli coupon. I got turkey, cheese, a bag of chips, a pound of bakery cookies and a container of pineapple.

Of course here is one that will be appreciated here: a woman bought a chicken and mashed potato dinner and was walking around eating it while shopping. Yep...we are in Berwyn!

iamvika

Has anyone looked at organic produce at Meijer? Is there anything organic at all?

seebee

I'll look for organic produce today. I can say for sure that for organic milk, they have the standard selections, and a house brand.